Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffex: Steven Norris- the history & benefits of speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffex: Steven Norris- the history & benefits of speed

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Videos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MikeB
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 20/08/2002 11:51:57
Posts: 3859
Location: Essex, UK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Traffex: Steven Norris- the history & benefits of speed Reply with quote


Steven Norris is the ex Minister of Transport who was involved in introducing the speed cameras into the UK. In his speech at Traffex he covers some of the history of speed cameras, the mistakes made with funding and the safety camera partnerships and how the new average speed cameras are the solution to our speeding problems.

Click here to view Steven Norris talking about speed cameras.
_________________
Mike Barrett
Editor, PocketGPSWorld.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 14669
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting.

so, to paraphrase: get caught by a gatso and you're unlucky, get caught by specs and you're an idiot! Laughing Out Loud

MaFt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MikeB
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: 20/08/2002 11:51:57
Posts: 3859
Location: Essex, UK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
interesting.

so, to paraphrase: get caught by a gatso and you're unlucky, get caught by specs and you're an idiot! Laughing Out Loud

MaFt

I think the phrase used was cretin... Razz
_________________
Mike Barrett
Editor, PocketGPSWorld.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jan 14, 2005
Posts: 19638
Location: Blackpool , Lancs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we should forgive the couple of two fingured salutes this ex Government individual gave while adjusting his glasses (first was at T+72 seconds)
The trick here is who will be the first sat nav manufacturer to produce software that can use an accurate database and provide true average speed camera warnings based upon stationary time vs actual speed. I am not advocating speeding in any way by this remark but the "big brother" situation on this countries roads is becomming a joke, a couple of miles an hour over and you get clobbered, but someone stealing from another gets away with far less of a punishment.

These contraptions need to be time of day reactive, take the units on the Woodhead pass, at 04:00HR there is no problem in going along that road at 70MPH, but long stretches are Policed by these damn cameras so you have no option but to switch off and use the cruise control - whats this for road safety cars on auto pilot still traveling at speed, it does nothing for road safety at all.

Put the cameras outside schools and drop the limit to 20MPH during the period kids enter/ leave school, why persecute the drivers to maintain a 20MPH limit when the roads and footpaths are deserted - oh where did this 20MPH limit come from, it was announced yesterday IIRC along with a few other stupid so called safety related measures.

Perhaps it is time to take a long hard look at the driver test and licence scheme in this country, but I doubt they could afford to instigate a proper system that taught people to drive rather than to pass a test (and YES there is a very big difference) the authorities should also look into a periodic retest every ten or (preferably five) years to remove drivers from the road that are incapable of driving in modern conditions - Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
playswell
Regular Visitor


Joined: Feb 23, 2008
Posts: 91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I guess we should forgive the couple of two fingured salutes this ex Government individual gave while adjusting his glasses (first was at T+72 seconds)
The trick here is who will be the first sat nav manufacturer to produce software that can use an accurate database and provide true average speed camera warnings based upon stationary time vs actual speed. I am not advocating speeding in any way by this remark but the "big brother" situation on this countries roads is becomming a joke, a couple of miles an hour over and you get clobbered, but someone stealing from another gets away with far less of a punishment.

These contraptions need to be time of day reactive, take the units on the Woodhead pass, at 04:00HR there is no problem in going along that road at 70MPH, but long stretches are Policed by these damn cameras so you have no option but to switch off and use the cruise control - whats this for road safety cars on auto pilot still traveling at speed, it does nothing for road safety at all.

Put the cameras outside schools and drop the limit to 20MPH during the period kids enter/ leave school, why persecute the drivers to maintain a 20MPH limit when the roads and footpaths are deserted - oh where did this 20MPH limit come from, it was announced yesterday IIRC along with a few other stupid so called safety related measures.

Perhaps it is time to take a long hard look at the driver test and licence scheme in this country, but I doubt they could afford to instigate a proper system that taught people to drive rather than to pass a test (and YES there is a very big difference) the authorities should also look into a periodic retest every ten or (preferably five) years to remove drivers from the road that are incapable of driving in modern conditions - Mike


You are totally wrong lets remember most accidents are caused by new young drivers, not middle aged drivers.
_________________
Lift Tester/Adjuster
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Posts: 14669
Location: Bradford, West Yorkshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playswell wrote:
You are totally wrong lets remember most accidents are caused by new young drivers, not middle aged drivers.


says who?! Shocked

although this is from an american site (couldn't find anything as simple for uk!) it shows clearly that most accidents are caused by 25-34 yr olds followed by 35-44yrs then 45-54yr THEN 20-24 consistently going back to 2002...

sorry, but i'm sick of 'young' people being told they're dangerous drivers with no real proof. in my own experiance it's the middle aged businesmen driving round chatting away on their phones, the pensioner who's not quite sure what time of day it is or the 40-something woman checking her makeup in the mirror at 80mph on the motorway that are the accident statistics...

rant over

MaFt
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Juraf24
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Dec 21, 2020
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I guess we should forgive the couple of two fingured salutes this ex Government individual gave while adjusting his glasses (first was at T+72 seconds)
The trick here is who will be the first sat nav manufacturer to produce software that can use an accurate database and provide true average speed camera warnings based upon stationary time vs actual speed. I am not advocating speeding in any way by this remark but the "big brother" situation on this countries roads is becomming a joke carton déménagement, a couple of miles an hour over and you get clobbered, but someone stealing from another gets away with far less of a punishment.

These contraptions need to be time of day reactive, take the units on the Woodhead pass, at 04:00HR there is no problem in going along that road at 70MPH, but long stretches are Policed by these damn cameras so you have no option but to switch off and use the cruise control - whats this for road safety cars on auto pilot still traveling at speed, it does nothing for road safety at all.

Put the cameras outside schools and drop the limit to 20MPH during the period kids enter/ leave school, why persecute the drivers to maintain a 20MPH limit when the roads and footpaths are deserted - oh where did this 20MPH limit come from, it was announced yesterday IIRC along with a few other stupid so called safety related measures.

Perhaps it is time to take a long hard look at the driver test and licence scheme in this country, but I doubt they could afford to instigate a proper system that taught people to drive rather than to pass a test (and YES there is a very big difference) the authorities should also look into a periodic retest every ten or (preferably five) years to remove drivers from the road that are incapable of driving in modern conditions - Mike

But there is software like this already I think. Finally, it is not specific to the brand but it does exist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man


Joined: Apr 04, 2006
Posts: 10118
Location: Bexhill, South Sussex, UK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was written in 2009.Rolling Eyes But the driving abilities stuff is still oh so relevant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Videos All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops © 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
19.093 (15 Sep 21)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







© Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping