Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom One V4 or One V2 XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom One V4 or One V2 XL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Tomtom One V4 or One V2 XL Reply with quote

Hi All

I am certain that other posts exist but with me having a dense moment I am not being too successful in finding them when searching - so simply I apologise in advance.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if the v4 Tomtom and V2 Xl are better than their predecessors. The main thing I am worried about is the internal memory size - is it limiting. I understand the the new models do not have the option of an external memory card slot?

Does the V2 XL model eat more battery power than the v4 One model?

(I know I can use a 12v lead - but don't always wish to do so)

Any other pros and cons of the latest models vs the older one and which is best out of the two is much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by moshchops27 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ONE v4 and XL both have 1GB internal memory for the UK version, or 2GB for the Euro version.

I have a ONE v4. The battery lasts just over 2 hours in navigation mode from full charge.

My ONE v4 UK version has a total of 978MB of memory. The files, map and a few poi's etc take up 170MB leaving 808MB free.

Not sure how much space the 2GB Euro version leaves spare with the larger map. Also the XL has a larger screen to power.
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Life choices have just got harder with the launch of the One IQ versions!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom/TomTom-ONE-XL-Europe.7509.html

Tested two on Friday and it was covered under the LMG.

Free update to 825.2159 maps. A newer box had the 825 maps pre loaded on the SD card.

Not 100% but there is a possibility that it will update to the new iq routes maps when they are released.

In saying that you can get a 720 for less than the new XL's and ones anyway.
http://www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom/TomTom-GO-720.7513.html
again its covered by LMG so you get IQ routes and lane guidance.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meestermartinho wrote:
Free update to 825.2159 maps. A newer box had the 825 maps pre loaded on the SD card.

Not 100% but there is a possibility that it will update to the new iq routes maps when they are released.

You need the v825.2157 map for the IQ Routes, I don't think the 2159 has the IQ data within it, but I would agree the 720 is the better option being cheaper and considerably more versatile as a navigation device, how much longer do you envisage these being available at such low prices Martin? - Mike
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a week on the 720's.

Yeah 2159 doesnt have the IQ route data. Thought that would be a newer map version?
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"......In saying that you can get a 720 for less than the new XL's and ones anyway.
again its covered by LMG so you get IQ routes and lane guidance.[/quote]...."

Hmmmm - it is a refurbished one - are they as good as new?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moshchops27 wrote:
Hmmmm - it is a refurbished one - are they as good as new?

You still get the 12 month warranty and the added benefit that these have been checked over by TomTom for a second time, if I wanted a new nav unit for any family member or friend I would go for one of these without a doubt as they are a true bargain while the stock lasts - Mike
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom change the screen and front fascia as part of the refurb so they look new. They come in a brand new sealed box and as mike says they're covered by the same warranty as the new ones.

Look at the different in spec between a 720 and a 730 then look at the difference in price. win win.

moshchops27 wrote:
"......In saying that you can get a 720 for less than the new XL's and ones anyway.
again its covered by LMG so you get IQ routes and lane guidance.
...."

Hmmmm - it is a refurbished one - are they as good as new?[/quote]
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice prices on Total PDA - but then when you add VAT, brings it closer to a new prices model available on some websites.
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a new 720 at that price go for it. Its going to be better than the XL or V4 you were looking at. Far more features.
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, that seems like a cracking price for a 720. I was going to get a 730T, but for the amount of driving I do these days I reckon I can quite happily live without the IQ Routes and lane guidance functionality.

One question, though - if I get the 720 from TotalPDA, and then add an RDS-TMC traffic receiver that seem to be pretty widely available for 20-odd quid, does that then get me full RDS traffic update functionality without the need for any further subscription payments or whatever?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gareth71 wrote:
Mmm, that seems like a cracking price for a 720. I was going to get a 730T, but for the amount of driving I do these days I reckon I can quite happily live without the IQ Routes and lane guidance functionality.

Once you have the latest application on the 720 and use the Latest Map Guarantee to get v825 maps and you will have IQ Routes 2 and the lane guidance/ reality view, to all intents you will have the same as the 730.

gareth71 wrote:
One question, though - if I get the 720 from TotalPDA, and then add an RDS-TMC traffic receiver that seem to be pretty widely available for 20-odd quid, does that then get me full RDS traffic update functionality without the need for any further subscription payments or whatever?

You can use either of the RDS-TMC receivers with a 720, there is the slightly older one with the round 6 pole connector or the newer mini USB style plug receiver, there are no extra charges to use the RDS-TMC service on the unit its available for the life of the product. For the best reception I connect the receiver to my car aerial, this reduces the ammount of cable strewn all over the inside of the car, there are plenty of threads on doing this within the forum - Mike
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought i will just say to anyone who is not sure about getting a refurbished 720,It a bargin you wouldn't know its a refurbished unit because it comes in a tomtom box,And when you open it up its the same as it would be new very nicely packaged,The unit is all good again looks like new.

Just one thing before you update the map you are going to have to delete a couple of folders then paste them back,I didn't know about that it took me a hour to download then 10-15 minutes to install half way only to find this message: map update failure not enough space .

Copy and then delete these folders

voices
zip
rastor

Straight after you get your new map past it back Smile
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for your advice. Refurb'ed 720 duly ordered Smile.

wigfield wrote:
Just one thing before you update the map you are going to have to delete a couple of folders then paste them back,I didn't know about that it took me a hour to download then 10-15 minutes to install half way only to find this message: map update failure not enough space .

Copy and then delete these folders

voices
zip
rastor

Straight after you get your new map past it back Smile

Seems like a very odd thing to have to do - why does it need so much space to update a map that's surely not that much different to the one that's already on it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: