Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Go930T Bluetooth Handsfree Quality query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Go930T Bluetooth Handsfree Quality query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Newbie Go930T Bluetooth Handsfree Quality query Reply with quote

Hi All

Have a concern over a new go930T that I bought last week.

v8.002 firmware out of the box, havnt upgraded yet. Have official TT v8.010 firmware cab to manually install or option to get v8.302 via TTH.

When i listened to the quality of mp3 playback via the built-in speaker it was very good, even the quality of FM transmission of mp3s to my car radio was very good.
Instructions via built-in speaker good also....i.e. no hardware issues with speaker, problem is I am not overly impressed with quality of speech during bluetooth handsfree calls...would give it a 7/10

Granted I was running off battery power at the time, so dont know if this made a difference, but as mentionned above it didnt affect the mp3 playback.

Therefore as I dont think its hardware, it must be software / programming related....would a firmware upgrade fix this or is it a faulty unit. its hard to describe why i only give 7/10 just think it could be better. definitely not the chainsaw effect I have seen described elsewhere in the forums.

Have seen posts with people stating their bluetooth handsfree speaker quality is excellent, so not sure whats up.

I had rung the speaking clock for the test, so could it have been a computer replicating / transmitting a computer voice and just amplifying poor sound?

when i tried to turn it up really loud it crackled and gave me a low battery message, but after restarting it was ok for 100% instructions / mp3s....

any help or advice as to whether my unit is faulty (please explain why though if speaker is ok for rest of functions) or if it is power related or firmware related.

P.s. one more thing, if i connect the unit via audio out to my stereo, would a handsfree call still be routed to the tomtoms speaker?

chrs
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it on the car charger when in use and the sort of strange behaviour you have experianced won't occur, you need to have the device on charge all the time.
As for your other post, I would consider updating to 8,300 then 8,302 via TT Home as this latest release is quite stable although you will lose the ability to transmit the nav instructions via FM. Whatever you do though make sure you update the application to the very latest BEFORE trying to use the LMG, and you should get both the Western And Central Europe map as well as a new North America map - if not the number you will need to phone is 0845 161 0009

Any hands free call handled via the TT goes through the internal speaker, it isn't possible to use the TomTom to route the audio from a phone converstation through the car speakers at all. If you want the audio from the phone through the car speakers don't use the TomTom, there are other products such as the iO-Play device that offer a much better solution for the music from the TT via Bluetooth and handsfree phone calls - try a search on this forum for the thread detailing how it works/ installation - Mike
jawilson59
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Keep it on the car charger when in use and the sort of strange behaviour you have experianced won't occur, you need to have the device on charge all the time.

I appreciate that keeping it on charger will prevent any kind of voice crackling / low battery messages.....but will it improve the handsfree quality?

could the quality of sounds via the built in speaker during handsfree be affected by a underperforming BT module / chip?
Hicksville
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 930T (8.302) and iPhone 3G. I find Bluetooth phone reception and clarity superior to native iPhone and hence drive around with TomTom on for most of my time.

Heartily endorse you upgrade to 8.302 soonest.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: