Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A10 battery drain on new software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A10 battery drain on new software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: A10 battery drain on new software Reply with quote

I have been using rechargeable AA batteries for some time (currently using Duracell 2650mah NiMH). But since the latest software upgrade I thought I had noticed that they were starting to drain more rapidly when the machine was off.

With the previous version I had charged them and left them in the switched off machine ready for the next walk. But this has caught me out with the latest software and a surprise change of batteries was necessary on one occasion.

As a test I charge up four cells a few days ago, put three in a switched off A10 and one on the window ledge the % drop in voltage from day one was
Batteries in the A10 10%, 13%, 22%
Battery out of A10 3%, 5%, 6%

On the fourth day I switched on the A10, got one red bar, was told the the battery was critical and it then shut off before I could do so!

I know this is not a very scientific study but it does warn me not to store the batteries in the unit.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so do you think it is the latest software upgrade?
Satsync 1.525
decay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run RS Componants 2600mAh Ni-Mh AA's in mine After a full recharge I reinstalled them and left it on the shelf for the last two weeks. It is still reading 3 bars.
Version 1.3.2.3

Maybe its your batteries...
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

decay said:
Quote:
Maybe its your batteries...

In which case why did the one on the shelf not lose any where near as much?

P.S. Thanks for the response and delighted to hear that your's retain their charge. I would be interested in anyone else's experience on this.
Satsync 1.525
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been using rechargeable AA batteries for some time

How long roughly?

I had a set of 3 year old rechargables (UniRoss 2700 mAh Ni-MH) which had been used in my StreetPilot i3 almost every day for 2 years. Last year they were moved to my camera where i could leave them in for weeks and they'd be fine. However a few weeks ago they refused to hold a charge over night. Fully charged batteries would be fine after charging but left in a switched off camera they would be almost dead the next day - the warning light would come on after 2-3 shots and then camera would fail to retract. Eventually the only solution was a new set of batteries which cured the problem.

In fact, I've just checked, and the camera is still working off the new batteries and they were last charged 3 weeks ago....

I used a set of a set of hi powered "normal" batteries to test - a £4 set of Energiser Alkaline 4 x AAs - and even after having taken over 100 shots and having been sat in the camera for 10 days they still had a good charge in them, so i got the new rechargables.

If "normal" batteries go flat in the same time as your current batteries there must be a fault in the device, other it probably looks like time for new batteries.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the Active10 is 'waking up' from time to time to do some housekeeping etc? Quite common with PDAs.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charged up my Satmap battery about six weeks ago and it was sitting in a drawer since then. Took it out today and after a two hour walk it is still showing four bars, so I don't think there can be any significant draw on the batteries when turned off.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Davidor.

Can you just confirm that this is with the latest A10 software (1.323 ) and the Satmap battery pack?

Though I am using rechargeable AAs I assume that should not make a difference. I have now tried new rechargeables and they still seem to lose power when switched off! Ho hum....
Satsync 1.525
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Yes it is the standard Satmap battery that has been through many charge cycles now and V 1.300 software. I didn't think anything significant has happened to the software since then as I haven't been advised by email from Satmap to upgrade.

I was out of the country for 4 weeks (left just before the new world-wide base map!), so gave it a good charge before I went as I was a bit concerned about stories of battereis running down and flattening batteries never does them any favours. I checked the battery when I got back a couple of weeks ago and it was still showing four bars but it wasn't until today that I got out to use it.

Has V1.323 changed the power setup?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has V1.323 changed the power setup?

That is the question. I don't recall my batteries losing any significant power under 1.3 but they seem to since I upgraded.
Satsync 1.525
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've upgraded now so it should be fairly plain if there is a difference. I will report back.

I didn't realise until this thread that there was another upgrade, so hadn't put it on. I recall reading something about another version after 1.300, but thought that was just language upgrades; clearly there is a little more to it from the upgrade notes.

Obviously I will have to wait a week or so to see if I do now start getting battery drain whilest switched off.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

V 1.323 put on last Sunday morning and fully charged lipol. Used for 3 hours on sunday. Been switched off since. Still 4 bars showing.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Davidor.

Seems fairly clear. The problem is mine. It does not seem to be the batteries which are fine outside the A10 and otherwise I can't see anything wrong with the A10 so I'm not inclined to send it in for a service yet. We, or rather I, shall see.

Thanks again for the help.
Satsync 1.525
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike: Used it again on Sunday for about 4 hours with a fair amount of screen viewing without recharging itfrom last week. It has just dropped to 3 bars. I'll leave it for a while without charging it to see if it drops any more.

Dave
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: last update Reply with quote

Another week has gone by. Still showing three bars and also after two hours use still had three bars. I have to conclude that ther is no discernable battery drain while switched off, as after two weeks and about 9 hours use it is still showing three bars.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Davidor
Satsync 1.525

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: