Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio C710 usb connection problems - again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio C710 usb connection problems - again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Mio C710 usb connection problems - again Reply with quote

Aghhh! I can't find a solution to this problem anywhere - most people who have reported it say that it seems to fix itself after a while.

For no reason at all my Mio C710 cannot be detected as a Windows Mobile device under XP: it is not listed in device manager as a Windows Mobile device (as it should be) only as an "unknown" device for which drivers cannot be found. Manually installing the drivers from the relevant C710 CD does not work either; uninstalling and installing the device software does not work.

Mio Update and synch will not work - I get an error telling me "Cannot connect to your device. Install Mio driver..." when I try to run Mio update.

I've tried using different data cables and two difference C710 units (so I know that there is probably no hardware fault).

Did anyone manage to solve this problem when more people were reporting it and if so how?

Can anyone help?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you connect directly or through a hub? Normally I'd advise (if confident to do so) you uninstall via device manager and then reboot. Plug in the device and let it re-install.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Do you connect directly or through a hub? Normally I'd advise (if confident to do so) you uninstall via device manager and then reboot. Plug in the device and let it re-install.

Darren, thanks for your reply.

No, I tried that - XP dutifully re-installed the mobo usb drivers but still no luck.

I remember a number of people posting about this problem and a solution never was found.

The problem is that XP (and Vista for what it is worth) are not even detecting the two C710s as Windows CE devices - they are just "unknown devices".

There doesn't seem to be a solution - one was never forthcoming from Mitac a couple of years ago and there still isn't one.

This is really frustrating because I've tried everything (except for reinstalling Windows which there is no way I am going to!)

Did anyone find a solution?
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you tell XP and Vista which driver to use does this work?
They should be on the CD
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the tips here

Main one seems to be remove the SD Card first?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

No, nothing seems to work. Either the device is not sending its hardware id or the mobo is unable to interpret it. The fact that two C710s have this problem suggests that there could be a driver issue.

Forcing driver install doesn't work because Windows - reasonably - will refuse to associate a driver with an incompatible device (certainly one which is not even identified).

It seems to be a fairly common problem - no fix was ever found as far as I know and the SD card removal issue was a bit of a red herring (the problem can disappear without apparent reason but hasn't for me so far).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: