Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bluetooth iO module
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bluetooth iO module
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelf123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: voice dialling with IO Play Reply with quote

Hi,

Newbie here, and I hope someone here can help me with an answer to a technical question. My girlfriend has just had an IO Play kit installed in her car, and she likes it very much. She is disappointed though that she can't make use of the voice activated dialling, because her iPhone does not have this feature.

If she simply downloads a voice dialling app to her iPhone will this cure the problem? Or will there be a problem with Bluetooth compatibility?

Cheers
adski
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate and I had these fitted to our cars by a company branching off of Carphone Warehouse, can't remember what the actual name was. Really well fitted (they came to our work address) and it cost about £150 I think.

Works great with iPhone 3G.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Anyone know any reputable online retailers stocking this at a decent price ~£80 that is not eBay?

I've also noticed a lot of online retailers are stating it comes with the BT Dongle for the iPod / iPhone. However many reviews show it doesn't come this and it is a separate item.

For the £70 to £80 price bracket I could only find ebay - but a lot of the listings on ebay are from car audio retailers who have been trading through ebay for years. I ordered mine from this seller

It hasn't arrived yet, but I am not expecting it to arrive until towards the end of the week.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I've actually found it for £70 delivered. Just waiting for a chance to dismantle the dash again to check the wiring tunnels, then i'll order....
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
For the £70 to £80 price bracket I could only find ebay - but a lot of the listings on ebay are from car audio retailers who have been trading through ebay for years. I ordered mine from this seller

It hasn't arrived yet, but I am not expecting it to arrive until towards the end of the week.
Don't seem to have any left, unfortunately! If anybody can recommend an ebay retailer, with stock, please post.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has turned up today with the iPod adapter for £70 delivered.

Strangely the serial number on the box doesn't match the serial number on the two iO Play modules Evil or Very Mad I will see what happens when I try and register it on iO Play website. I will be fitting it at the weekend.

There is a mac forum here that has links to some retailers who were offering them for around the £80 mark.
DrMips
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these installed in my Audi A3 a year ago. There isn't much base at low/mid volumes. The sound is very crisp though.

I also bought a TT 540 last xmas thinking it would be compatible, but it will not connect. Your IO player must have newer software than mine, or TT 540 just won't work. As all my other bluetooth devices connect fine to the IO player, so I suspect the 540, as TT have never been good at bluetooth compatibility.
McKerrow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note about the audio quality of the IOPlay
I have two IOPlay systems (one in each car)
I am pleased with the hands free functionality and the usually seamless pairing when you get into the car with your phone.
However I was very disappointed with the quality of the audio streamed from my iPhone via the A2DP adapter. Music sounds very truncated and the reduced sample rate is all too audible.
I also get occasional music 'drop-outs' over A2DP but I gather this is an iPhone specific issue.
So I have gone back to using the aux-in on my head units for music playback and only use the IOPlay as a hands free.
Occasionally I use the IOPlay for TT Voice, but I find it rather jarring to have the TT voice blasting through the stereo and interrupting the music every few seconds.
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKerrow wrote:

However I was very disappointed with the quality of the audio streamed from my iPhone via the A2DP adapter. Music sounds very truncated and the reduced sample rate is all too audible.
I also get occasional music 'drop-outs' over A2DP but I gather this is an iPhone specific issue.

Ah this could be a dealbreaker for me. I assume this is using the 3.0 beta (beta3)?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 540 should be able to fire the navigation instructions out via the Bluetooth link to the iO Play, my 940 works fine with radio or CD playing then the navigation instructions kick in through the car speakers before reverting back to the original sound source. ake sure you have got Change Preferences/ Speaker Preferences set to use Bluetooth audio output, after making this selection continue the pairing of the two devices before it will work. I very much doubt I am using newer firmware in my iO Pay as both revision numbers are 1,0 on the unit.

The little iPhone transmitter I only got yesterday from the NEC so I have yet to try it in the car, thats something for later today. As you are using a TT device that has BT Audio outout try putting the music on the TT then route the audio out:

Nav Instructions to use internal speaker
Music via mp3
Choose the iO-Play for the output and select No to pausing music when issuing navigation commands. his avoids the nav instructions blasting through the car and is certainly loud enough to be heard - Mike
DrMips
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The 540 should be able to fire the navigation instructions out via the Bluetooth link to the iO Play, my 940 works fine with radio or CD playing then the navigation instructions kick in through the car speakers before reverting back to the original sound source. ake sure you have got Change Preferences/ Speaker Preferences set to use Bluetooth audio output, after making this selection continue the pairing of the two devices before it will work. I very much doubt I am using newer firmware in my iO Pay as both revision numbers are 1,0 on the unit.

The little iPhone transmitter I only got yesterday from the NEC so I have yet to try it in the car, thats something for later today. As you are using a TT device that has BT Audio outout try putting the music on the TT then route the audio out:

Nav Instructions to use internal speaker
Music via mp3
Choose the iO-Play for the output and select No to pausing music when issuing navigation commands. his avoids the nav instructions blasting through the car and is certainly loud enough to be heard - Mike

I tried the settings as you said, but my TomTom just says 'iO PLAY - The required features could not be found for this phone.'

I will see if there is an update for my TomTom as it hasn'r been connected to my PC since January.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the 540/ 740 don't support A2DP because they don't have the mp3 player capability - This might explain why its not working with your device, I will seek clarification from TT about this point though.
The modult connects to the devices using one of two available profiles, A2DP for HiFi Audio or HFP for hands free.

In use I have the iPhone connected as HFP and the TomTom kicks in using the A2DP connection for either music or spoken navigation instructions.

The latest software for your device is Navcore v8,310 you can find what your device is running by tapping the sat strength meter followed by the version box, the resultant screen will show you the version numbers and other details about the device - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if the 540/ 740 don't support A2DP because they don't have the mp3 player capability

Shocked Very Happy

Just literally moments from ordering mine after having had the dashboard apart and checking i know where cables are going to run... Laughing

Watching thread with anticipation....

Edit: Found Nuvi 765 supports A2DP however I prefer the TT Crying or Very sad
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asked TomTom about the ability for a 940 to work but not a 740.....

Quote:
Currently it is not possible to bond your GO740 device to an IO Play Bluetooth Hands free unit. For hands free we only support this, when connected to a compatible bluetooth phone.
Please find our phones compatibility list via the following link;

http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility

With Kind Regards

Sigh. So back with a much more detailed explanation of what i'm asking....
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From TT Support

Quote:
The Go 740 and 940 support the same Bluetooth protocols. You will be able to pair the device providing:

1- Your IO Play kit supports the A2DP Protocol (e.g receiving Audio and not transmitting unlike a Bluetooth headset)

2- Your IO Play kit supports being placed in 'Available' mode (e.g you can set the kit to allow incoming connections. The TomTom device can only connect to an external source, it cant be connected TO).

From the sounds of the error message you are receiving, it would seem you are trying to pair the Bluetooth kit as a phone (The required features could not be found for this phone)

To correctly attempt connection you need to Go To Main Menu, Change Preferences, Speaker Preferences. Select the type of Audio you wish to be transmitted via Bluetooth and press Done each time. After doing this, you will then get the option to search for Bluetooth devices at which point your IO kit must be made available for incoming Bluetooth connections.

DrMips Does this help?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: