Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - So what is so difficult ......
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

So what is so difficult ......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: So what is so difficult ...... Reply with quote

..... with the Submission Guidelines Question

1. The contents of the Title box.

Quote:
Enter the Town/City/District in which the POI is located or near followed by a name/additional text. Separate the the two items with a comma. For example, a pub and an historic house

Farnham, Star & Garter
Basingstoke, The Vyne

Quote:
As the Subcategory name is used for the POI file name there is no need to include it in the Title box.

I have rejected a number of Submissions purely because the Subcategory has been entered as the Title. I don't have the time to do your work for you. There's one of me, and loads of you!

3. How to position a POI.

Quote:
The POI latitude and longitude co-ordinates will be used by your SatNav to get you to the location of the POI so do not position the POI on the actual building in a large retail park. Position the POI on a road within the retail park close to the store or at the entrance to the car parking area. The Google Map Satellite view quite often shows a detailed image which can be used to select the best position. Please use the Comments box to say how the POI has been positioned.

4. The contents of the Comments box.

Quote:
Please use the Comments box as it is very reassuring to see "repositioned using local knowledge" when the Action selected is "Confirm existing POI" but the co-ordinates are different to those of the original. It really does help the reviewer if you state in the Comments box what you are changing when submitting a "Change existing POI" request.

The comments box is rarely used, and as I gave up Mind Reading I can't always make an adjustment for the best placement. It also takes me longer to do each one.

5. Phone numbers

Quote:
Enter phone numbers in the international dialling format without spaces or hyphens. For example the UK number 01234 123456 should be entered as +441234123456

This seems to be the biggest stumbling block with most Submissions. Some submitters get it right, then do it wrong. Confused Even some who should know better get it wrong Exclamation

If I manually correct the number, it can double the time to do each one, and I can't be certain that I've done it correctly.

And finally, there are a lot of Submissions being made that have obviously been taken from Websites. These are often generated by Postcodes (which we know can lead to horrendous errors), or an address (which is not always very accurate). Even the Map Page of the Website is often Postcode generated.

As End Users, do we want numbers, or accuracy?

It is very discouraging to find a Submission has to be corrected, sometimes only a couple of days later, because it's in the wrong place.

It takes me as long to review a good Submission as it does fo0r someone to make it. Multiply that by the number of Users making Submissions and there's not a lot of my "Spare Time" left spare. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK no prob from me I try my best and I like to think i get it right and
I take it I'm doing OK as the last time I mucked up you sent me a email to correct my mistake
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and can I add my normal plea? Look at the POIs in your area and please, please, ensure they are correct by using your local knowledge. For example, as I found to my annoyance, the POI submitted for Waitrose in Salisbury takes you to a parallel road with no access! Crying or Very sad No doubt it has the correct postcode (or address) but that's not helpful when the correct road for access requires a lengthy and difficult detour.

If lots of us do these checks, the POI dataset will be the bees knees Very Happy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
Look at the POIs in your area and please, please, ensure they are correct by using your local knowledge.
Thumbs Up

Well done that man. Wink

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also noticed that quite a few are being added without a town location and perhaps just a street name or even less, I would rather travel 6 miles in the direction of travel than 4 miles back in the direction i have just come from to look for a loo.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: