Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Every one should read THIS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Every one should read THIS?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
widowmakerv2
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Every one should read THIS? Reply with quote

A detection system should acknowledge only offending vehicles-regardless of type. The white van man or Chav boy racer in his Subaru Imprezza or M3 overtaking 5 cars on a stretch of 50mph road at 75mph doesn’t get logged, but Grandad out on his classic BSA goldstar doing 45mph DOES!

They have announced 8 detectors already in place. This is incorrect. I have driven most of these routes and positively identified more units! For example, the A5004 Long Hill from Buxton to Fernilee, there are TWO units on this same stretch of road, the first on the right side of the road as you break out into the open countryside heading up hill, the second after a sharp right hand bend following a nice deep left hander (with last bungalow to your right on the approach), again on the right at the end of a lay-by. I found another unlisted unit on return down A6 towards Bakewell, again on the right hand side of the road just as you leave the built up area into the valley before you see the river on the left, at the end of a lay-by on the right hand side!

Further along the same stretch of A6, just entering the built up area in Bakewell, I almost missed one, but luckily a Police Camera Partnership van was parked next to it working on it! This on is on A6 Bakewell nearly opposite a street called Vernon Green on the left. This is a different type of box with a branding ‘Golden River Traffic’ on the front, but about same size as others and the tell-tale 4 squares in the road. Not sure if these are GSM units though? I may have to search the Tinterweb for info on these…. That is three that wasn’t listed! So I bet there are more around than we think and they admit to.

They seem to favour fitting them near laybys, (Probably so council can get there snap cabin parked up when they are installing them! Laughing Out Loud), so something to make people aware of! The boxes themselves are mostly dark green, and most have solar panels stuck on the top, and as most are in remote, isolated, rural areas, this would suggest they are battery powered with solar chargers. So, these units could be re-sited to different locations quite easily with the addition of new road loops! Unlike Gatso’s Which need mains power to run them. Some have a ‘lamp post’ adjacent with solar panel on top (as on A6 Cromford unit, which is in your photograph I believe) which could also have cameras fitted.

The unit on A621 from Baslow towards Owler Bar is on the LEFT, at brow of the hill hidden behind a camera partnership sign in lay-by. This has an ‘empty’ lamp post beside it with cables hanging out the top, but solar panel is on top of box, so looks like this will be fitted with cameras in near future probably facing both directions!.

The prominent feature on these boxes is the black round plastic GSM antenna about 4” diameter, either stuck on top or on the side. (I know this as I have installed similar devices for commercial use). All the sites have a double loop cut into the road on BOTH SIDES of the road, so it can detect traffic in both directions!. Any ‘suspect’ box will have the 4x approx 3ft squares on the carriageway cut into the road and sealed with tar (like you see at traffic light junctions).
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article about this covert system in the MCN a while back.

This country is becoming more like cold war USSR than ever.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it makes more sense if you had clarified the text was copied from am MCN reader email about Derbyshire targeting bikers!
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have missed something (since there is no real context to the original post) but surely the Grandad doing 45mph wouldn't be caught by any camera as long as the limit is 50mph as stated?

Also, since bikers can already avoid most of the newer camera types because they are front facing only, they have little to complain about after a camera type is created that allows them to be caught going well over the limit (as appears to be the case with most bikers near me).
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Yes it makes more sense if you had clarified the text was copied from am MCN reader email about Derbyshire targeting bikers!
It was rather ranty and out of context, wasn't it. A link to the original article would have been easier! I take it it was related to this article?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite, had to search to find the article as I'd read it earlier this week. It was this one.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Not quite, had to search to find the article as I'd read it earlier this week. It was this one.
Thanks, I'll have to read that in full later.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
widowmakerv2
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: its a fact Reply with quote

That the cops are All out to target Bikes .
Even if you have not broken the speed limit they keep your details on a central data base but that works for every car and bus lorry etc on that road . Big Brother IS HERE. Rolling Eyes
widowmakerv2
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: You have not got a clue? Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
I may have missed something (since there is no real context to the original post) but surely the Grandad doing 45mph wouldn't be caught by any camera as long as the limit is 50mph as stated?

Also, since bikers can already avoid most of the newer camera types because they are front facing only, they have little to complain about after a camera type is created that allows them to be caught going well over the limit (as appears to be the case with most bikers near me).

This is a NEW camara type
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: its a fact Reply with quote

widowmakerv2 wrote:
Even if you have not broken the speed limit they keep your details on a central data base

Eh? Where did you read that?
widowmakerv2
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: MCN Reply with quote

Its been well documented over the last few months. look on MCN.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: its a fact Reply with quote

widowmakerv2 wrote:
That the cops are All out to target Bikes

Good! They won't go far wrong targeting all bikers in this area, since at least 90% travel way in excess of the speed limit. They really are an absolute menace the way they race through the villages, seemingly believing they're above the law.

This is from last week's local paper.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita, I'm a biker, and it Ps me off to see people do this.
OK, I'm no Angel (not yet anyway), but there is a time and place for everything.
Public roads are not the place to try out your skills (or lack of them).

Same on the A40 by me, cars this time. Like to line up 2/3 abreast and do time trials from 30mph to infinity. The speed limit is variable 70 to 50, and finally 40.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a biker too but I have to agree that there are far too many who think the roads are race tracks.
rockin_plumber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding these boxes with the GSM antenna...
If you read throught he comments to the article first mentioned someone from Clearview traffic has posted a comment to the article..

Quote:
ClearviewTraffic says

Clarification

Hi

I came across this post thanks to a Google News Alert and I thought a little clarification on what this anonymous grey box is all about may be helpful. I am a Group Product Manager for a company called Clearview Traffic Limited, and one of our brands is "Golden River".

Whilst I don't know the actual site being referred to here (as we have installed well in excess of 8000 of these units all over the country) I can be very confident on whats inside.

The cabinet contains a solar powered traffic counter from our range of Marksman Traffic Count and Classifiers.... the information it collects is only used for traffic planning, and is totally anonymous. It is important to note that these devices can not therefore be used in any way for speed enforcement.

Typically, these devices collects data on the number of vehicles, their speed, length (or class e.g. car, lorry, bike etc) , direction, and can also be used to detect in real time queueing traffic or very high traffic levels and this information can then be used to warn drivers before they reach the incident.

The data from the units can either be collected manually on a regular basis (e.g. once a month) or the data can be collected via GSM or GPRS wireless technology.

I hope this info clarifies what the units are, and if you need any more information, feel free to have a look at http://www.goldenriver.com

So it appears it is just monitoring volume of traffic and not speed Question

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: