Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - advanced lane guidance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

advanced lane guidance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ matthewj: Thanks!
AC-DC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so, does the ALG work on anything other than motorways?

An example of a real problem area is near Maidstone as you enter the M20 at junction 4 (to go towards London) coming from the north (A228). If you didn't know the lane layout from previous experience I believe you would have almost zero chance of traversing the junction safely - even when you know the layout it's still very difficult to be safe. You need eyes in the back of your head!

'Take the third exit' just don't really do it!
And 'take the next exit' as you come round is too late - you're already in the wrong lane!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone spotted some peculiar behavior on the M8 in Glasgow, going towards the river from Townhead. As you aproach the turnoff that takes you off left onto West Graham St, you get the following,

indicating that all 3 remaining lanes are for the M8. It is only when you get very close to the off ramp for Charing Cross that it suddenly changes!

Now those idiots that come charging up the outside and try to cut in at the last minute will think that they have an excuse!!

Running the demo, routed to Woodlands Road, produces the following,

and then, at the last minute,

How are foreigners/strangers supposed to find Lobey Dosser??

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
How are foreigners/strangers supposed to find Lobey Dosser??

How about by looking out of the window at the real roadsigns Question Shocked Wink They usually set them at a goodly distance from the junction. Although I do agree that the ALG could be a tad misleading to those who appear not to bother looking out of the window and blindly follow their satnavs onto a railway track or over a cliff Shocked
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jock, have you reported these issues to TomTom or do you want me to? If they don't get told then this won't get fixed - Mike
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those lanes are interesting because the first is telling you to NOT be in the left lane (and the right lane is acceptable technically), and once you are passed that it then shows the real lane. I can see it would be confusing though, it isn't good.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not just the guidance pictures that need looking at, ambiguous instructions such as on approaching a motorway junction "keep in the right lane" should not be given as you should not be in the right lane on a motorway just because you are not taking the slip road.

ALG would really be useful for the new layout at J8/7 on the M1. TomTom actually gives the correct normal navigation instructions for leaving the M1 for the old M10 at J7 but the new road signs and TomTom are not the same and if you used to know the junction it is completely different now. To leave southbound at J7 you now have to take the slip road before J8 (it used to be after) and it is now signposted A414 St Albans and A414 Hemel Hempstead. There are no M10 exit signs as on 30th April the M10 is redesignated the A414 and this confused me not knowing this at the time.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Jock, have you reported these issues to TomTom or do you want me to? If they don't get told then this won't get fixed - Mike
Mike, I haven't got round to reporting them yet, I wanted to see if anyone thought that the way that it currently works was correct. It certainly "feels" wrong to me. Feel free to report it. If they need further info, pass any details on and I'll do some further screen captures or location captures for when the various signs should be displayed.

If you know the junction, it is slightly unusual in that the outside (4th) lane peels off to the right, rather than being the fastest lane on the motorway.
matthewj wrote:
Those lanes are interesting because the first is telling you to NOT be in the left lane (and the right lane is acceptable technically), and once you are passed that it then shows the real lane. I can see it would be confusing though, it isn't good.
It is correct in that you don't want to be in the leftmost lane but wrong that you shouldn't be in the rightmost lane. Again this is slightly (very?) odd, in that the 4th lane has just fed on from the righthand side of the motorway! There's always argy-bargy with those who are in a hurry, who were in the 3rd lane before the 4th joined, changing to the 4th, driving along (hopefully faster than the 3rd lane, and then pulling in (or trying to Twisted Evil ) at the last minute. The more I describe it, the more I'm convinced that that section of the motorway is a real mess!! Maybe TT will never be able to cope with it!! Having said that, the opposite direction is similar (the exit to the Royal Infirmary exits from the RHS) but TT seems to cope with that.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: