Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - advanced lane guidance
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

advanced lane guidance
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tortoise
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: advanced lane guidance Reply with quote

Silly question i know, but i have a tom tom one XL classic. If i upgrade the firmware and maps to version 8 will i be able to have advanced lane guidance. Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you won't get this functionality on the One XL as its not available for the device - Mike
tortoise
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. So which is the most basic tom tom with advanced lane guidance please. Is it the 520. As dont need bluetooth hard drive etc.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One IQ ROUTES and XL IQ Routes Editions have just been launched in the UK.
These DO have advanced lane guidance and reality view.
Mally1957
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So which is the most basic tom tom with advanced lane guidance please.

Is this what you are looking for the one IQ routes regional it is the cheapest on the Tomtom site assuming you do not require Western Europe maps etc. Price quoted £149.99 but have a shop around.

A now retired Tomtom 940 v9.541.3145439.1 OS:1493118, GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5120, West Europe Map v1025.9386
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the new XL units are available as yet so you could wait for one of those, or for the same price you could get a 720 which is a far more capable device from Here and once updated to the latest software/ maps (which is free) you will have what you want - Mike
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't thiink that Lane Guidance thing is that god to be honest. I was disappointed when i actually saw it on my 720.

All it does is tell you that you need to be in Lane 1 and move to the left to leave the motorway, oh and some nice big arrows to show you the way. Much more realistic to look out of the windscreen and see it for real.

I thought it was going to be more about helping you get into the right lane at complex intersections/roundabouts. Such as leaving a motorway, onto a roundabout with 5/6 exits and assisting you as to which lane for exit 4 say.
I realise now that this would be a mega undertaking and not practical as the junctions/roundabouts etc are likely to change.
Takes long enough for the maps to get updated let alone individual junction layouts.

Thats a long post for me, so i'll finish
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've grown to love lane guidance. I just drove to Frankfurt and back in a motorhome for a tradeshow. In Europe I think it's superb as lane disciplines change from country to country (the French love that short white lines approach for the right lane approching a slip road and I'm never quite sure which side I should be on).

At first, not seeing the navigation was a bit odd but now i've got used to it I like it a lot. Especially in the motorhome where late lane changes are a no no.
Holux GPSslim
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Is there two types of lane guidence?, I have a 520 and it only shows the lane guidence in the bottom left corner of the screen. If you look at the TT video it shows it covering the full screen.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sort of! The full screen images are known as "reality view". The arrows at the bottom left are "advanced lane guidance".

To get the full screen images, select "Show lane images" from the preferences menu. Note that these are not shown for nearly as many junctions as the arrows in the bottom left though.
Brodit ProClip mount
Montala
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I don't think the new XL units are available as yet so you could wait for one of those, or for the same price you could get a 720 which is a far more capable device from Here and once updated to the latest software/ maps (which is free) you will have what you want - Mike

Just in case anyone does want to wait for the new IQ route models to be released, Amazon are now accepting pre-orders with a quoted despatch date of 20th April 2009... not that far away now!
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with a couple of the other posters - alg is only worth using when driving on the other side of the channel where the road layouts can be very different. I never use it in the UK, as I prefer to have the status bar displayed vertically - alg is only available when using a horizontal display.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,
Not sure about the comment above. I use the GO720 with the vertical bar on the right side of the display and when ALG shows the screen images it still works OK. Seems to switch the display automatically to show the bar on the bottom while it shows the ALG images and then back to normal.

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickie64 wrote:
Alan,
Not sure about the comment above. I use the GO720 with the vertical bar on the right side of the display and when ALG shows the screen images it still works OK. Seems to switch the display automatically to show the bar on the bottom while it shows the ALG images and then back to normal.

Gav

Gav,
I suspect that only works if you have 'show lane images' enabled which I am not at all keen on. ALG is the display in the horizontal bar showing a small graphic of which lane you should be in.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lane Assist works far better with the status bar set to horizontal, and it is independent of the Reality View screens - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: