Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - are the 1:50000 maps good enough for doing my walking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

are the 1:50000 maps good enough for doing my walking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
howard40uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: are the 1:50000 maps good enough for doing my walking Reply with quote

ive just bought the lancashire 1;50000 memory card for which i do mosty countyside walks will the detail on the maps be good enough for what i need it for as i dont want to fork out over £130 for the 1:25000 version if i dont really need to
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put it this way...

I learnt to map read with the T.A.; they use the MoD GSGS series 1:50,000 series, which are identical to the publicly available maps (bar certain overprinting for military stuff).

Aside from once trying to read a paper map upside down (I was somewhat hungover, bleary-eyed, and slow of brain from the night before Cheers! , it should be mentioned), with a decent compass (Silva type) I could (normally) find my way reasonably well.

Couple that with your moving-map GPS technology, and you shouldn't put a foot wrong Thumbs Up

Hope that helps Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 50K most of the time on my a10 it is fine for cycling, walking etc. 25K offers considerably more detail but its difficult to see larger areas on the device, only on a couple of occasions have I found 25K of benefit while in thick fog decending Ingleborough.
Where in Lancashire are you located? - Mike
howard40uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im accrington just tend to stick to walks in lancs not often i go elsewhere
howard40uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My a10 comes tomorrow :-) cant wait
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing you will be missing (apart from the larger scale for poor eyes like mine) is that the 1:25k include field boundaries e.g. walls etc. These can be useful when trying to find that elusive path on the ground that you can see on the 1:50k map. Having said that I only have the UK at 1:50k on mine and it is very nice to use. I do have MemoryMap with 1:25k of my favourite areas though - so I can take a customised paper map out with me.
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you use papers maps before the arrival of your A10. The detail on a 1:50000 card on your Satmap will be exactly the same as a paper map. Likewise for 1:25000. Only you don't have to hang on to your A10 like a kite in windy conditions Wink . You can always get a 1:25k later as your budget allows if you really want the finer detail.
Pop a paper map & compass in your sack as a back-up in the rare event your battery expires or an alien spaceship wipes out the satellites Shocked The former has happened once to me before I changed to lipol battery and the second hasn't happened yet!
Enjoy your Satmap, a great tool!
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
is that the 1:25k include field boundaries e.g. walls etc. These can be useful when trying to find that elusive path on the ground that you can see on the 1:50k map.

Though I have found times when the 25K maps are wrong - e.g. path runs along other side of ditch to map shows it. (not really a great issue in Herts)
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: are the 1:50000 maps good enough for doing my walking Reply with quote

howard40uk wrote:
ive just bought the lancashire 1;50000 memory card for which i do mosty countyside walks will the detail on the maps be good enough for what i need it for as i dont want to fork out over £130 for the 1:25000 version if i dont really need to

Usually 1:50,000 is more than enough. But if you don't venture too far from home, then the site centred maps satmap do might be worth looking at as they can work out cheaper
RSB77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: 25000 far superior for walking Reply with quote

howard
I think 25000 gives you the confidence to go further as it shows all the footpaths and allows you to walk in areas you don't know. Expensive but worth it.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the 1:50,000 also shows all the footpaths.
Satsync 1.525
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1:50k may be all you need, but 1:25k is nicer.

if you get the premium version of a site-centred 1:25k of your likely covered area, you get both 1:50k and 1:25k.

i prefer 1:25k when walking, but I am a bit of a map fiend -I can sit and read one for an hour...

I'll second the 1:25k not always being accurate; there are path diversions local to me that have been picked up on the 1:50k map, but forgotten on the latest version of the 1:25k sheet.

nathan
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand wrote:
philpugh wrote:
is that the 1:25k include field boundaries e.g. walls etc. These can be useful when trying to find that elusive path on the ground that you can see on the 1:50k map.

Though I have found times when the 25K maps are wrong - e.g. path runs along other side of ditch to map shows it. (not really a great issue in Herts)

Interesting point - provoked a long discussion during one of our walks. One of my friends is convinced that anything marked in blue on an OS map is not to be relied on for navigation purposes. The obvious blue is water (lakes, rivers, streams...). He believes that this is because water courses can change. I have not seen this stated anywhere before.

In the case you quote I suspect the footpath in question has been 'moved' by common usage. (NB the OS do not assume any responsibility for paths and rights of way - this lies with the local authority.)
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Interesting point - provoked a long discussion during one of our walks. One of my friends is convinced that anything marked in blue on an OS map is not to be relied on for navigation purposes

I know the M11 (motorways being blue on OS maps) is always moving around Very Happy Though I doubt is as wide in real life as the representation usually is on the maps (esp 1:50K & above).

philpugh wrote:
The obvious blue is water (lakes, rivers, streams...). He believes that this is because water courses can change. I have not seen this stated anywhere before.

They can and do (and can dry up).

He should add anything marked as woods – they can be cut down. I recall being in Derbyshire with a group, I was showing where we were on a map – they disagreed as that was in the middle of a wood – where as I was going by the bends in the path I could see. Someone when off the track and sure enough loads of tree stumps.

Of course anything marked as green can be built on and any thing marked as a road can be dug up.

I think an element of common sense is required – in that you never rely on just one element to tell you where you are when in unknown territory.

philpugh wrote:
In the case you quote I suspect the footpath in question has been 'moved' by common usage. (NB the OS do not assume any responsibility for paths and rights of way - this lies with the local authority.)

I think in this case it is probably accuracy of the data – it ran along the wrong side of a ditch, there was a footbridge in the right place if you assumed map was slightly wrong (guess less than ½ mm on 1:25K map). But footpaths moving is definitely something to be aware of when walking
sjdwheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find my GB 1:50,000 is fine for walking most of the country but I definitely recommend the 1:25,000 for mountainous areas.

Mountain paths on maps are sometimes just light black dotted lines and are not always shown on the 1:50,000 scale. Similarly the contour lines are easier to read and more accurate on the 1:25,000.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: