Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wireless connect to GPRS & TomTom Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless connect to GPRS & TomTom Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Wireless connect to GPRS & TomTom Traffic Reply with quote

Hi

Apologise for long post in advance

I wonder if anyone can shed light on following and possible solutions:

Until Thursday 2rd April, my 920 was very happy conncted to my Blackberry Bold 9000 and receving GPRS traffic, I then update the 920 via home with mapshare Thursday evening.

Starting out Friday morning and I see no traffic displayed, and found it had been disabled, I tried to connect and got message: To use TomTom Services you need to set up a wireless connection!, Odd never happenned before, so I reset with the trusty paper clip.

Only same thing happens, so this time I think, ok set a up connection - went through the procedures, and no matter what settings I tried that worked for last 4 months, they all failed, so no GPRS connection.

Ok, so I try my trusty Nokia back up phone ( I have a personal and works mobile paired to 920)

Same thing

Tried wifes mobile that has never been near my 920, so was a 'virgin' connection, and it connected no problem

Cut long story short I have tried my back ups going backk to last september and same thing happens, messagae that staes To use TomTom Services you need to set up a wireless connection!,

I contacted TomTom and they were about as much use as chocolate fireguard.

Any way, I have reset the Blackberry Bold, and on 920, I have used Clear_flash.exe, reset to factory settings, use backups, replace the Conncet2internet...... files etc etc

I did some investigation and opened the settings.dat file in wordpad, and notice that the file in backup showed my Blackberry and Nokia there with all settings to connect for gprs, but the settings.dat file on 920 had phone, but no settings.

Somehow, from moment when you disconnect the 920 from the PC and 920 boots up, it changes the settings .dat file.

Any guru have any ideas what can be happening and possible cure?

Thanks in advance

Mick
tt920, App 8.302 (9738/090225) OS: 244890 Map: W & C Europe v825.2157
GO 920 Dead
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete all of the files in the ppp folder - they will be recreated when you set up the connection again. Also delete all of the bluetooth pairings on the phone and the TT and start from scratch.

Andy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a guru, so I can only offer two poor thoughts.

1. Have you been correctly disconnecting from the computer? I always disconnect using the correct button in Home, but I don't disconnect then - I wait until the TT restarts and asks again if I want to connect to PC, answer NO, wait for it to reach the normal map page, then switch it off whilst still in the dock before unplugging it.

2. When I have had connection problems occasionally, when they got bad the only solution for me was to delete the pairings from both the TT and the phone and disable bluetooth on the TT. Reset and Reboot the TT, enable bluetooth and then go through the pairing process all over again. The last time I did this, it didn't work. So I did it again, delete, disable, reset, reboot, didn't work. Over and over again, I can't remember how many times. It eventually worked on the very final time of trying before I decided I was going to be very cruel to the TT and the phone - they were both going to get very wet and very bent and very flat!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys:

On 920, I have deleted files in:
ppp Folder, gns Folder, bin Folder, replaced Conect2internet files, also reinstalled backups

on phone, Blackberry Bold, I have deleted all bluetooth pairings, reset to factory settings, pulled battery removed sim, rest to pair for gprs etc etc

I always disconnect device from TomTom Home by clicking disconnect device

I am at wits end.

3 days I have been at this, and what is most odd is that pairings all work on 720, phones with a clean connection, i.e. not paired to my device ever, work fine, just phones that have been paired to my tomtom 920 are giving me problems.

Strange is the changes that occur in settings .dat file,
GO 920 Dead

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: