Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Roundabouts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Roundabouts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Roundabouts Reply with quote

I am using 2009 McGuider which is proving to be fine for me but I have just come back from a trip in the RV and want to raise an issue with you all.

On approaching a roundabout the instructions do not seem to be completely unambiguous. I have had the following experiences on a roundabout with a single left, a single straight on , and a single right exit.

The following may not be the EXACT words spoken but they certainly convey the sense.

1. Turn left on roundabout - first exit
2. Cross the roundabout - take first exit
3. Cross the roundabout - take third exit

Item 1 I would consider correct.
Item 2 is misleading but understandable. You don't actually cross the roundabout but I can live with that.
Item 3 was just misleading in my view. 'To cross the roundabout' implies going straight over. In this case there was only the four exits but I wonder if I would have been more confused on a 5 exit roundabout.
Strangely I never encountered a 'Turn right - third exit' but that may simply be down to the lack of the sample size.

Is there an obvious explanation for the differences and before anyone says so, the exits from the roundabout were , in all cases, essentially as a cross roads would look with exits at 90, 180, 270 degrees.

Roy
cannt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Roundabouts Reply with quote

The problem was also in the previous version of McGuider. I have found that the map display is always correct but the spoken instructions are incorrect around 50% of the time, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern.
kwackerjeff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had similar result my self, telling me to cross roundabout and take first exit.
The view of screen is zoomed to far out to make out roundabout and see exits it is as if I need to zoom in but if I do it moves out to a more zoomed out view nearly immediately.
Is there a way to have closer in views when at roundabouts that is always zoomed in as I approach?
The direction was correct for the route but the view was to zoomed out to see clearly, it was not a problem as I knew where I should be going.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have updated to the recently released 7.71 update (use McGuider Assistant to get the update). I have found most problems I have had with roundabouts have been fixed.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the basis of a fairly limited test with the latest download I believe that my earlier issue with roundabouts is resolved.

However, On returning from a trip I chose to avoid the route calculated by McG and ignored it's instructions. It persisted in telling me to take all manner of lefts and rights to return me to the original route. I expected this, and ignored the instructions knowing that, eventually, it would 'see it my way'.
Interestingly we reached a point where the voice instructions suggested 'round the roundabout and take the 4th exit yet the graphic on screen was showing an exit left off the rounabout. Either this was the 4th - ie one full tour of the roundabout of 3 exits then left at what should have been the first exit, or it was a bug. Because it was a recalculated route I wasn't too bothered but it did seem odd. My hunch is that it was a 4 exit roundabout and it wanted me to go back the way I came but I cannot be sure of that now,
I was driving and unable to log the location so I cannot identify it with any detail so this is quite useless informaton for Sygic but it would be interesting to hear if anyone else has seen this.

Roy
kwackerjeff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not got round to updating it yet but one thing this week when I asked for a route between 2 postcodes it took me the way I would have expected but when I was at the other end and wanted a reverse route it was not possible to get the same route and everything was miles longer up to 50%, I kept trying alternatives but no way, so just wandered back across country any way.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get odd routing please report this to Sygic. They will look into it and see if it is map data at fault or the program and then deal with it as necessary. If we don' tell them about any problems then they will never be fixed, especially as the programming team are unlikely to drive the roads around the UK very often.

For those who do not want to report to Sygic direct, please send me the details (so I can verify using the route demo functions). I will report it to Sygic once confirmed.

Vince

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: