Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - do tomtom use teleatlas and Navteq for different maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

do tomtom use teleatlas and Navteq for different maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cygnusx04
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: do tomtom use teleatlas and Navteq for different maps? Reply with quote

looking for a sat nav - most of travel will be in UK, but would be nice to have europe maps and option of replacing with USA maps if needed.

very annoyed tom tom are dropping SD slots from newer models. Flash is so cheap, TT should be putting 4gb in their newer models!!! especially considering the price.

I'm currently looking at the new TT one ver 4 with western european maps. It seems that TT use a different map provider for the UK and ROI maps(Navteq) vs. the western european map using teleatlas - is this correct?

if so which is best and why are TT using different ones?

looks like the TT one ver 4 with european maps has 1GB ram. The european map was larger but has been cut down to fit on 1GB model. Question is : what has been cut out?

looks like i've missed out on some good deals recently. TT one v4 with european maps currently £111. Is this a good deal? My dad has the TT one XL with SD slot! Seems more future proof to me.

thanks for any advice.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: do tomtom use teleatlas and Navteq for different maps? Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, a few Q&A - hope this helps.

cygnusx04 wrote:
very annoyed tom tom are dropping SD slots from newer models. Flash is so cheap, TT should be putting 4gb in their newer models!!! especially considering the price.

They are only dropping the memory card option from the One and XL range, the x20/x30 and x40 ranges can still use the memory cards to suplement the built in storage cappacity.

cygnusx04 wrote:
I'm currently looking at the new TT one ver 4 with western european maps. It seems that TT use a different map provider for the UK and ROI maps(Navteq) vs. the western european map using teleatlas - is this correct?

TomTom own Teleatlas so the maps provided are from TA, its been quite some time since a device was released with Navteq mapping installed, as for differences well there are some errors and different coverage within both mapping providers data, neither is any better than the other from what I have seen.

cygnusx04 wrote:
looks like the TT one ver 4 with european maps has 1GB ram. The european map was larger but has been cut down to fit on 1GB model. Question is : what has been cut out?
extra detail such as rivers/ coast line detail and you might find the road curves are slightly better on the larger map, also the built in POI file is considerably smaller.

cygnusx04 wrote:
looks like i've missed out on some good deals recently. TT one v4 with european maps currently £111. Is this a good deal? My dad has the TT one XL with SD slot! Seems more future proof to me.

You have missed out on some cracking recent deals such as the 520 devices being sold with the latest map offer at just over £100, final stock is still showing as +25 on This page, but unless you phone in the morning or order tonight they will be all gone very soon, the 520 is a far more capable device than the one or XL units you have been looking at, and the fact it is a manufacturer refurb shouldn't put you off, its a true bargain with a full 12 month warranty - Mike
cygnusx04
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for info.

ok so would i see a deterioration in route quality between the UK & ROI specific map vs. the west europe map when travelling in the UK. Remember most of my travel will be in the UK, but would be nice to have Europe too.

Just don't want to get Europe map and find its not as good as UK specific map.

520 looks very good - just not sure I need all those extra features. I don't use sat nav very often - mainly when travelling to customer sites which is rare these days. Think i might wait for a good price on one v4.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cygnusx04 wrote:
ok so would i see a deterioration in route quality between the UK & ROI specific map vs. the west europe map when travelling in the UK. Remember most of my travel will be in the UK, but would be nice to have Europe too.

No you won't see a degredation of the roads or route offered between the UK&ROI vs the European maps, but you can observe subtle differences when you have two devices next to each other such as road straightening and some detail such as rivers/ coast line either less detailed or missing. As the device is an on road navigation aid these differences don't make much of an issue - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: