Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driver gets ticket for speeding in a parked car
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driver gets ticket for speeding in a parked car
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, we just do it as a hobby Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Under the data protection act, you can request the photos without having to go to court. That's your legal right, so whoever told her she'd have to go to court to see the picture evidence was lying.

just playing devils advocate here... but:

the data protection act relates to information stored about yourself. so, by requesting the photo under the data-protection act you're basically saying they have a picture of you and therefore that you're guilty! Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

the data protection act relates to information stored about yourself. so, by requesting the photo under the data-protection act you're basically saying they have a picture of you and therefore that you're guilty! Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

I think not. DP Act says whatever about you has to be accurate and gives you the right to see anything held about you, in order to check that it is correct. It is alleged that they have a pic of you exceeding the speed limit, so you have the right to check that it is accurate and have it put right if it isn't (somebody else). Maybe? (I mean, they have records showing that you DO have a shift key on your computer, so you could ask to see those records and get them to change it to say that you haven't). Twisted Evil Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
MaFt wrote:

I think not. DP Act says whatever about you has to be accurate and gives you the right to see anything held about you, in order to check that it is correct. It is alleged that they have a pic of you exceeding the speed limit, so you have the right to check that it is accurate and have it put right if it isn't (somebody else). Maybe? (I mean, they have records showing that you DO have a shift key on your computer, so you could ask to see those records and get them to change it to say that you haven't). Twisted Evil Laughing

but if it's NOT you then they are giving out information about someone else and therefore breaking the law... this could get silly so i'll stop now...

MaFt
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely this is just another case of "It weren't me guv - honest"
Look at what has been said about the accused:
1. "When Emily Davies parked her car outside her house and went to bed at 10pm as usual, she had no reason to believe Merseyside Police would be on her case."
Now what young attractive teenager goes to bed at 10pm every night?

2. "I was shocked because I'm such a careful driver and I never speed."
Can anybody honestly say they never speed?

3. "I knew there was no way I'd be out at 10.22pm on a week night. I realised they'd made a mistake."
A young attractive teenager claiming to never be out at 10.22 - really?

I reckon there's a good chance that she's guilty as charged and it's a fair cop.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:

Re-read the links for the Daily Mail version. It transpires her car was parked and a speeding car was photographed but the person responsible for extracting VRN's from the images noted hers instead of the passing speeder! Priceless.
Snudge
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Snudge wrote:

Re-read the links for the Daily Mail version. It transpires her car was parked and a speeding car was photographed but the person responsible for extracting VRN's from the images noted hers instead of the passing speeder! Priceless.

I've read it but you previously said this which I agree with:-
Darren wrote:
Guys, this story is from a Newspaper. Journalists aren't known for getting their facts straight so we don't know if this is just artistic licence for the story, a mistake on the part of those concerned or what.

I wouldn't place too much importance on that fact.

..and the Daily Mail uses the critical words 'believed to have appeared...'
Daily Mail wrote:

The registration plate on Miss Davies's stationary car is believed to have appeared in the frame with a speeding vehicle which triggered the camera. An over-zealous operator noted the number and a fine was duly sent out to the innocent motorist.

Nope, sorry but this attractive young female is guilty until proved innocent.
It is a great story though.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snudge wrote:

In the photos the camera took the car was parallel parked between two other cars. She was definitely not speeding and the police have admitted it was a mistake, so there's no point in arguing it Smile

Last edited by NickG on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
kenyamike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe if you tell the prosecuting police, you are not sure who was driving at the time in question, they have to give you the photographic evidence. Otherwise how do they know who to prosecute? Question
Tatsfield
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a €20 charge from Hertz Italy for handing over my details to the Sienna Municipal Police for what I believe might have been a speed camera offence while I was driving a hire car. The money was taken from my credit card but the police never contacted me and Hertz seem to make a nice profit for a computer printout and a postage stamp. The police might be sanguine about prosecuting foreign tourists but the car rental companies know a good business when they are presented with one.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenyamike wrote:
I believe if you tell the prosecuting police, you are not sure who was driving at the time in question, they have to give you the photographic evidence. Otherwise how do they know who to prosecute? Question

If you as the registered owner don't tell them who's driving you are deemed to have committed the offence. One of the few occasions where you appear to be presumed guilty.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Darren wrote:
... Journalists aren't known for getting their facts straight...

Aren't we journos too??? Wink
Quod erat demonstrandum? Laughing Laughing Laughing

DennisN wrote:
MaFt wrote:
just playing devils advocate here...

... Maybe? (I mean, they have records showing that you DO have a shift key on your computer, so you could ask to see those records and get them to change it to say that you haven't). Twisted Evil Laughing
Laughing Laughing

MaFt wrote:
but if it's NOT you then they are giving out information about someone else and therefore breaking the law... this could get silly so i'll stop now...
MaFt
Dennis, he can get the records falsified, but to no avail, now we've all seen proof of a shift key! Laughing Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
Dennis, he can get the records falsified, but to no avail, now we've all seen proof of a shift key! Laughing Laughing

Don't be fooled! He did it copy and paste of a graphic - notice, it's red?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There appears to be a difference of process across the country. Two years ago I was caught by a safety camera on Ipswich Road, Colchester. When the police sent me the summons, they included the picture of the car and number plate in the letter. As there was no mistake, I pleaded guilty. Crying or Very sad

As suggested earlier in the thread, this allows the driver to check the accuracy and reduce errors.

A friend was caught by a red light camera on Cowdray Avenue, Colchester. There was an error in sending out the summons, the followup letter was sent to a completely wrong address. They ended up in court as they had not responded in the requisite time period, and even then they did not see the evidence - it was waived at them by court cleark - 30 feet away! They were found guilty, with points and a fine. Strangely a month later the fine was cancelled and points removed with no explanation. We can only suspect another operator error. Confused
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: