Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest Map Guarantee on new 940 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Map Guarantee on new 940 Live

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cannfoddr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Latest Map Guarantee on new 940 Live Reply with quote

I just got a 940 Live here in the UK and hooked it up to TomTom Home (Mac). I checked out the latest map guarantee and it told me I was on the latest 810.1934 map - I think the latest is 825.something?

Lo and behold on the home page there is an alert for the map update service that says I am at least 2 versions behind!!!

I called TomTom support and they asked me to email them a whole raft of screenshots and device information along with the inevitable proof of purchase.

I did all this and they then came back and said there was nothing they could do at level 1 and would need to escalate - then marked the question as answered (cheeky !).

Has anyone else encountered this/know the solution - I will not pay TomTom for map updates on a brand new device!!!!!

Adrian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a pretty common problem.
Normally, sending your proof of purchase is enough to get it sorted out, but do keep checking via Home because often I think they allocate the maps to you but don't bother to email to tell you.

Don't forget you are also entitled to the latest North America map (also v825).
Home is even WORSE at offering this to people and you have to hassle TomTom customer "services" for it. Some of them even try to deny you are entitled to it but (in the UK at least) they usually give in if you are persistent.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian

This thread might be worth a look!

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=75078
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be persistant. It took me a week or so of badgering them to get my 825 map.
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a useful thread. I only purchased my 940 Live last week and whilst the Latest Map Guarantee option indicates I have latest maps, the Add Maps section says my maps are TWO quarters old.

I've raised a support tiocket with TomTom and attached screen shots and a System Info dump. Let's see how they respond - too bad the service doesn;t work as designed/advertised though!
stuey99fx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just gone through all of the above myself

i had to delete TT Home and re-install etc. etc.

send system info etc. etc.

send system info plus sales invoice and screenshots etc. etc.

after about 2 weeks of jumping through hoops and what seems like a big waste of time they've at last credited the maps to my account .
i even got both the V825 NA and europe

i still can't believe that such an expensive bit of kit can have such basic faults , why the LMG seems to cause so many problems is beyond me !!
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuey

Shame you jumped through hoops and did as TT requested, so that they could finally grant you something that you should have had from the start.

I wish more people would return their units as faulty when LMG fails as it is an integral part of the purchase and hoops should not need to be jumped through!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish more people would return their units as faulty when LMG fails as it is an integral part of the purchase and hoops should not need to be jumped through!

How would that resolve the issue? Any replacement unit you get would probably have the same problem.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

How would that resolve the issue? Any replacement unit you get would probably have the same problem.

Yes, so that goes back too, then eventually when TT has a few hundred returned GO's for LMG issues, they might invest in making the system work!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, so that goes back too

Well, I've got better things to do. A little effort and persistence and i got what i wanted. If i wanted to waste TTs time i did it by sending them a few emails to get the maps. Can't see the point in buying unit after unit after unit just to return them.... You're more likely to waste your time than theirs...
stuey99fx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i guess if everybody did send their units back TT would soon sort the problem out .

But i can't understand how so many unit's run into problems .....
after all don't they all have the same basic software installed to begin with ?

one question ?
i know from reading this site that your TT create's a birthday file when you first turn it on , and that this is what tells TT Home wether your entitled to the LMG or not .

Is this birthday file the one you can find in the TT Cfg file ?
if so mine says 21-10-2008 , maybe i'm jumping to conclusions here but maybe this is what's causing the problem ?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But i can't understand how so many unit's run into problems .....

Because you only hear about the ones that go wrong so you get a false impression of the situation. For every unit that goes "wrong" and is posted on here there might be 100, 1,000 or 10,000 that are OK but no-one will post here to say

Quote:
"Hi, just signed up to say that my LMG worked fine first time. No errors or anything. Thanks"

Obviously in forums you are more likely to hear from the disgruntled minority, than the satisfied majority.

Quote:
i know from reading this site that your TT create's a birthday file when you first turn it on , and that this is what tells TT Home wether your entitled to the LMG or not .

I understand this is no longer true.
Milesey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milesey wrote:
I've raised a support tiocket with TomTom and attached screen shots and a System Info dump. Let's see how they respond - too bad the service doesn;t work as designed/advertised though!

Update: Having also had to send TT a scan of the receipt (proof of purchase), I received a reply saying they had assigned the latest maps to my account. On connecting my 940 to HOME, it did indeed download the new maps ... for Europe and the US. Looks like TT have got their act together on this (albeit still having to raise the ticket though!).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: