Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - First real outing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

First real outing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: First real outing Reply with quote

Had the device a short while now but it had it's first real outing this Saturday. I am very impressed by it's performance - we were out over 9 hours and the battery level on the power pack dropped just the one block. The tracklog seemed to be accurate apart from the first 3 or four points which recorded speeds of 240kmph and seemed to be as it fixed the initial location accurately. It was in my pocket (inside it's case) for a lot of the time without any loss of accuracy. Will have to get used to resetting the logging as I start a walk. It didn't get any bad weather to try it's ruggedness (it was misty for an hour or so - very pleasant suprise for a high walk in the Lakes in March).

One of the other lads on the walk was trying out his new Oregon with the OS mapping on it. It was good to do a side-by-side comparison. The larger screen on the Active10 was easier to read and gave a better area display. One thing I would like to see (it may be there but I haven't found it yet) is when I have zoomed the map I would like to be able to return to the default zoom level by a single action rather than using the zoom controls to prevent the slight pixelation when you aren't quite right. I may have missed the method of doing this though.

I like the ability to display the non-active routes which I used to have several route options available. We used this as the wind was a bit to much for us to be comfortable descending by Fleetwith Pike ridge.

I'll be posting the routes in the forums - its the hills to the North of Buttermere (Robinson, Hindesgarth, Dale Head returning via Haystacks) 20Km with 4300ft ascent. They were planned on the Satmap route planner.

EDITED to correct meaning.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the other lads on the walk was trying out his new Oregon with the OS mapping on it. It was good to do a side-by-side comparison. The larger screen on the Active10 was easier to read and gave a better area display. One thing I would like to see (it may be there but I haven't found it yet) is when I have zoomed the map I would like to be able to return to the default zoom level by a single action rather than using the zoom controls to prevent the slight pixelation you aren't quite right. I may have missed the method of doing this though.

Phil Glad you were generally pleased.

If you nudge the joystick slightly (to enter plannning mode) then zoom, it will revert to the previous zoom level when you press the bottom left button to return to the main map view.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: