Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Creating routes for my Tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating routes for my Tomtom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JONZEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Creating routes for my Tomtom Reply with quote

Normally I choose my route using MS Autoroute Road Maps or the Tomtom Home route maps. Then choose points or towns on the route as waypoints to make up my Itinerary for my Rider Sat-Nav, thereby relying on the Sat Nav to choose the actual route between these points.
Is their any way the exact original route created on the road maps be downloaded direct onto my Rider similar to the Garmin setup? There does not seem to be any provision on the Tomtom Home for doing this or am I missing something.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you are not missing anything. The itinerary function that you are using is all that TomTom provide for planning your route, there is no way to download the exact route created on a PC to the TomTom.
JONZEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Creating routes for my Tomtom Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
No you are not missing anything. The itinerary function that you are using is all that TomTom provide for planning your route, there is no way to download the exact route created on a PC to the TomTom.

Thanks for the info Paul. At least I now know it's not just me. You would have thought Tomtom would have come up with some system to download actual routes from PC to Tomtom by now. My mate has got the Garmin Zumo and he is always bragging about there system, may be he's right!!! Though his is more complicated for installing extra POI's etc. So both have there good points and bad points. Thanks again.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre used to be bundled with TThome. Even if it isn't still bundled, it's a stand-alone, free to download program which runs on your PC and you should be able to export the route/waypoints to your Rider.

Edited for some spelling.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Tyre still only creates an itinerary which is downloaded to the TomTom. The route chosen between itinerary points is down to the TomTom.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
But Tyre still only creates an itinerary which is downloaded to the TomTom. The route chosen between itinerary points is down to the TomTom.

But isn't the solution then to make the waypoints closer together so as to create only one possible viable route?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the TT's calculated route to follow the one you want just by adding more waypoints, if that helps.

(Edit... Sorry AliOnHols, I didn't see your reply before I hit the "post" button).

Jonzey....I'm intrigued to hear you say that Garmin CAN import an exact route. I don't see how that would be possible without a fairly massive description file.

Are you sure your friend hasn't just misunderstood?

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how long your route is. TomTom limit each itinerary to 48 points.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
It depends how long your route is. TomTom limit each itinerary to 48 points.

That surprises me, I didn't know that. Thank you.

I use Tyre to route back to the Uk from Spain. I choose a route to incorporate Tourist attractions, Camera sites which need verifying, avoid toll roads, somewhere to eat, somewhere to sleep and the ferry. My 720 follows my route exactly. I've never counted the number of waypoints I select, but the route is about 800 miles in length.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre is capable of splitting a route into two or more itineraries if it exceeds 48 way points. You would then start your journey by loading one itinerary and following it until you run out of way points, then loading the next itinerary and continuing the journey.

I don't have a recent TomTom but I think that I recall reading that they have reduced the number of way points on the latest models from 48 to just 4.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
......I don't have a recent TomTom but I think that I recall reading that they have reduced the number of way points on the latest models from 48 to just 4.
Carumba! That's just silly.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed and it may not actually be an itinerary at all so it probably doesn't work with Tyre. Andy_P posted details here of the update which included the 4 way points.
Quote:
· Multiple destinations along your route
The update will provide you with the ability to plan a route, adding up to four destinations (waypoints) along your route, using the ‘Travel via’ feature in the device menu.

As I don't have a TomTom that uses the latest software there will be other members who are better able to comment on this capability.
JONZEY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say thank you to everyone. I have downloaded TYRE and tried it out and it does go a long way to create a route I want. I agree with comments made from members that it only transfers the waypoints and the sat nav will choose it's own route between them, but as suggested I can now add some points closer together in an area I particularly want to visit. I shall keep experimenting and take in all your ideas.
Thanks for all the info.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
Agreed and it may not actually be an itinerary at all so it probably doesn't work with Tyre. Andy_P posted details here of the update which included the 4 way points.
Quote:
· Multiple destinations along your route
The update will provide you with the ability to plan a route, adding up to four destinations (waypoints) along your route, using the ‘Travel via’ feature in the device menu.

As I don't have a TomTom that uses the latest software there will be other members who are better able to comment on this capability.

Confirmed... The new models with additional waypoints DON'T have all the features we've come to expect from Itineraries. As well as the huge reductions in waypoints/destinations, you cannot LOAD or SAVE the routes at all! So great programs like Tyre become useless! Evil or Very Mad

The one thing the new waypoints feature does is introduce some very rudimentary SORTING of the waypoints to make a more sensible route.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: