Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New 'critical' version of home out today - v2.6.1.1549
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New 'critical' version of home out today - v2.6.1.1549
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an expert at this Tomtom Home thingy but I had 2.5 running fairly well without many problems.

Updated to 2.6 and opened the floodgates. Backup says it isn't supported for my device, operate my go is the same and when I look at the contents of my device it tells me 2 voices are incompatible, namely the 2 computer voices. Being a trusting sort of guy I un-installed them as Home suggested and then my device (go530) wouldn't talk at all regardless of which voice I chose. Ending up having to format the sdcard and copy all the stuff back on from a file copy backup I had already taken to get it talking again.

Contacted TT support who had me un-installing Home 2.6, deleting the appdata info, cleaning up my computer, defraging the damn thing then re-instlling 2.6. Made no difference. Then TT support asked me for the system info within Home 2.6 which I duly sent and then got the dreaded email that it had been passed to 2nd line support, otherwise known as "The Black Hole".

Personally I've gone back to 2.5 and all works as well as it did before.

Sorry for long post, but I think I'll stick with 2.5 for now.

Gerry.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Falkirk81 says, I have updated to 2.6 with no issues whatsoever, not even being offered a new map!

I can Operate my Go, Backup (after a Windows backup of course) add items, remove items and launch Tyre.

Perhaps there might be a link between HOME and the O/S of the pc? I am running Windows XP Home Edition, with Sp3 and all the MS updates that come out on Patch Tuesdays - just the Critical and Important ones.
Gerry123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it with xp and vista, all updated etc etc, same problem. Maybe it's the x30 series that's the common denominator. I have no evidence for that of course just to say mine is latest navecore and latest updates but still won't work correctly with 2.6.

Maybe it's something I've done to the 530? Although that is working as it should as far as satnaving is concerned. Who can say?

Roll on 2.7
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem exists with my TT50 on a fully patched XP machine.

There was no problem with 2.5
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the corrective actions from TT and the problem still exists. Just reverted to Home version 2.5 and it works OK.
Gerry123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom support have just replied to my question.

The reason you have a red cross on your device.... blah, blah, blah.

At what point did I say I have a red cross on my device?

Seriously, Tomtom support is the pits.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerry thats the reply I got as well. FYI following the procedures doesn't make any difference. I've reverted to 2.5 an reported to Tom Tom again and got the sent to second line support reply. Ho Hum
Gerry123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:
Hi Gerry thats the reply I got as well. FYI following the procedures doesn't make any difference. I've reverted to 2.5 an reported to Tom Tom again and got the sent to second line support reply. Ho Hum

Thanks for the info Ant.

At least you got a reply!

I replied asking them if they can "actually" read so I'll probably be further down that black hole than I was before. I'll look forward to reading what they have to say to you.

As you say, Ho Hum. Next time I go for a satnav I'll save myself £200 and buy a Collins roadmap.
Gerry123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the version with the safety camaras printed on it. :-)
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerry, my TT500 is now a few years old and this is the first real issue I've had, apart from usual like losing favs when updating etc. Never really had need to use TT support so can't comment on how good/bad the service is.

In all the time I've used the TT I've only had 2 times where I've been sent to wrong place and one of those was a stupid mistake by me. The other was incorrect postcode and using the address got us there.

Personally I'd never go back to a map (though I do have one in the car just in case) the benefits of a PND are more than enough to compensate for the few niggles I've had so far. Big one being saves lots of earache from the navigator (better half) when a map was being used.

Would I buy another TT when the trusty 500 gives up the ghost? Well I think so, I've used other PND's and they have their issues as well. So its a case of 'better the devil you know'.
Old-Guy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem with Home V2.6 freezing (in Operate My Device only). It's not a major problem as Home still work s doing updates.

Much the same experience as others with TT support, one twist after re-install made no difference and I'd sent them full system data was to suggest I installed '2.5' - however, in the time it took Support to respond, some bright spark had updated the '2.5' download file (the file is stupidly always named TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe) to V2.6.1549.

My repeated requests for 2.5 to be made available have been completely ignored.

Because of the way Home updates work, I don't have a copy of V2.5, can anyone suggest a download site (other than TomTom) for 2.5 please?

GO510. XP Media Centre Edition, SP3 plus all the latest patches.

Guy
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to this link, you'll find links to various Home versions, including 2.5
Gerry123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:

Personally I'd never go back to a map (though I do have one in the car just in case) the benefits of a PND are more than enough to compensate for the few niggles I've had so far. Big one being saves lots of earache from the navigator (better half) when a map was being used.

Would I buy another TT when the trusty 500 gives up the ghost? Well I think so, I've used other PND's and they have their issues as well. So its a case of 'better the devil you know'.

I was joking, the PND is a godsend and in it's latest incantation with IQ routes and ALG etc etc it is difficult to beat. But for me at any rate the Home s/w is not quite there yet. I am loathe to completely wipe out my PND (which is working fine) just to get 2.6 working. I'll stick with 2.5 for now.

BTW Tomtom have just replied to suggest I do that anyway. Stock answers I guess. No ta.

Gerry.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops missed that Gerry, been a bad week at work battleing a virus on our network.

Not long ago I did consider buying a new PND but to be honest the 'extras' were generally not something I think I'd need, really thinking about playing MP3's etc.

Some of the more recent developments, which aren't available on my ageing device, are making me think again as they seem to be a genuine aid to navigation even if they are yet to be perfected.

Development of Home is not going as smooth as it should and TT aren't alone in finding updated versions of SW cause some users problems.

Like you'll I'll stick with 2.5 until a suitable fix is provided, hopefully.
Gerry123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting here humbled.

After complaining like crazy about TT support I decided to do what they suggested and guess what? It worked.

All of TTH 2.6 now works as it should, backup, operate, the two computer voices are now supported and doesn't tell me it needs an upgrade everytime Home starts.

It's a long and drawn out procedure and not for the faint hearted and not without curses but it's worth it in the end.

Gerry.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: