Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic HD VS GPRS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic HD VS GPRS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Traffic HD VS GPRS Reply with quote

I have a 720T and i am getting more and more frustrated my TMC.

i used to use traffic via gprs on my PPC many moons ago.

My question now is Traffic HD the same as the traffic info available from the GPRS connection, surely it must use the same data?

Doe anyone know?

Pete
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite different! HD uses data from Vodafone users in conjunction with existing Traffic data AND data from other HD equipped devices.

As yet this doesn't actually make it a whole lot better but there is a whole load of technology behind HD and one hopes it will one day bear fruit.
PeteT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Darren

I was hoping that i could have got the HD service on my 720 without upgrading my device.

Do you have any experience with the gprs service? As mine was about 4 years ago and it was a crap then. Has it improved?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
As yet this doesn't actually make it a whole lot better but there is a whole load of technology behind HD and one hopes it will one day bear fruit.

I can't agree with this. It is a whole lot better right now. It just isn't quite perfect yet. But when it is working, which seems to be most of the time, it works very well. Way better than the old GPRS system which often took ages to clear an incident, which made it un-trustworthy.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I'm happy that you're happy I can only speak as I find, for me it has proved disappointing. I've yet to have it correctly forewarn of traffic and I have driven through alleged severe traffic problems where none existed.
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defence of HD traffic, I have had it forewarn me of traffic on two occasions, both times calculating (correctly) it would not be faster to avoid it. These were both brief delays due to rubbernecking causing the traffic to slow down and bunch up.

Admittedly, it has not yet planned me an alternative route to avoid big delays... but the technology certainly has the potential to be extremely useful.
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
AND data from other HD equipped devices.

...but does it? I've never actually seen this documented anywhere. Does the x40 send accurate data back, or does it simply get included by virtue of being an active vodafone device?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness2702 wrote:
...but does it? I've never actually seen this documented anywhere. Does the x40 send accurate data back, or does it simply get included by virtue of being an active vodafone device?

It's a Vodafone device, whether more detailed data is included I don't know. It would make sense to supplement with GPS position, course and speed but I have no knowledge of that.
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Whilst I'm happy that you're happy I can only speak as I find, for me it has proved disappointing. I've yet to have it correctly forewarn of traffic and I have driven through alleged severe traffic problems where none existed.

Darren where in Hampshire are you as I have found the HD Traffic info pretty accurate on the A303, A34, M3 routes.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M3 Near Fleet but most of my usage would be M4, A404, M40, M6.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I also think GPRS traffic is perhaps worse than it was a year ago (if that is possible). The phantom incidents are now so often that I ignore it and wish I hadn't renewed my subscription.

My biggest gripe is overnight road closures. Unless you know the junction numbers of other roads that are announced on the gantries it's hard to know if it's on your route. Twice in the last month Ive arrived at a closed motorway (which was obviously planned well in advance) and its nowhere to be seen on Traffic GPRS.

And as far as I'm aware the system still doesn't check the original route when you accept a faster route so I'm still reluctant to say yes to anything proposed. Love to be told I'm wrong on that point but to me its the biggest weakness in the whole thing.

Funny thing is it still seems to be good in mainland Europe.

And we're all still annoyed that our newish units such as my 720 aren't going to get the option for HD. GPRS isnt going to get any attention since they want us all to buy HD traffic enabled ones. Feel like the pour cousin all round really.
Holux GPSslim
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
GPRS isnt going to get any attention since they want us all to buy HD traffic enabled ones. Feel like the pour cousin all round really.

I sympathise but TomTom TRAFFIC is fed by iTIS and so anything TomTom do in respect of HD won't be t the detriment of iTIS TMC data. The issues with that are not TomTom's doing but we all agree they need to work on the data .... a lot!
Fozzee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Darren where in Hampshire are you as I have found the HD Traffic info pretty accurate on the A303, A34, M3 routes.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fozzee wrote:

Is there an echo in here? You asked that earlier Very Happy
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the GPRS subscription every day and never had a problem with it.

The HD traffic seems a waste of time, as all it seems to do from what I have read is warn you if about 3 cars slow down then calls it a traffic jam.

I would rather be warned of genuine lengthy delays, which is what the GPRS service does very nicely.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: