Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap On-Line Route Planner Goes Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap On-Line Route Planner Goes Live
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been using the beta test to try it out. It gets its first real try-out this Saturday as I have planned a route over Robinson, Dale Head and Fleetwith Pike for 'the lads' to try out. Well several actually depending on the weather!

Only curious thing was I used the 1:50k mapping to get a good overall view in the window and when I zoomed into 1:25k the waypoints moved off the marked tracks - sometimes by a good few 10's of metres. It is probably down to the revision dates of the different sets of maps. It will be interesting to see how accurate it is on the device in use as I only have the 1:50k mapping.

I tend to agree with the comments about the lack of planning view - but this will be down to licensing, restricting the screen capture of maps in usable chunks. Overall I think I will stay with MemoryMap to do the planning - I have 1:25k of the areas I frequent and with a large monitor most one-day routes can be easily visualised as a whole.

They (Satmap) are going to have to improve the facilities in order to charge what is quite a large amount for access. I can't help feeling there must have been a different (and better) way to implement this using the device's mapping. I guess they are worried about reverse engineering of the maps.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder said
Quote:

I use Vista and have been using the route planner for quite some time without issues, do you have any firewall software or other antivirus apps that might be preventing what should be available to you - Mike

I also use Vista Mike and have Norton providing firewall and antivirus but don't think this can be the problem as the second time I look at a map the map actually flashes up and then disappears. So its got onto the system just being erased for some reason.
Satsync 1.525
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it staggering that Satmap can expect people to pay the sort of figure they are talking about for this service. The route planning is very inferior to other options available for free due to the very limited map view, especially at 1:25K. It really needs to be full screen, otherwise it is no better than planning directly on the satmap. And the route -sharing idea? I'm sure it won't be long before someone sets up a free forum providing this service.

Once again I think that Satmap are shooting themselves in their feet by not listening to their committed users and the people that are actually out there using the Satmap day after day, week after week.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidor said
Quote:
I'm sure it won't be long before someone sets up a free forum providing this [route sharing] service.

You have been beaten to it. This forum has provided it for some time. Its just that hardly anybody seems to use it!
Satsync 1.525
colinp_uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just bought an Active 10 this week and have been using the online Route Planner to for a walk tomorrow.

Might be my first post but a quick word of advice:

Don't use the & character in your Route Name and Description. It confuses the Route Planner when you save the route causing it to hang!
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Colin, and thanks for the tip. Smile

I've just imported my first route from the route planner using Satsync. The route contains all the height information, and shows a route profile Very Happy

Very nice surprise as when using my Anquet software to create routes I then have to edit each route waypoint to get the profile.

So despite the smaller window, the presence of the 1:25K (I only have 1:50K Anquet) maps and the height data makes it a winner for me. (Mind you I got it free).

My main gripe is with long backpacking or cycle routes which contain a lot of waypoints (more than 50). Then the Planner grinds to a crawl that would put a sloth to shame Rolling Eyes
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'My main gripe is with long backpacking or cycle routes which contain a lot of waypoints (more than 50). Then the Planner grinds to a crawl that would put a sloth to shame'

Satmapian

If you look at my other post under beta invitation you will note that at 177 waypoints automatically entered by Active 10, that Vista actually 'stops' the route planner. I am awaiting a reply from Satmap

John
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes John I'll be interested in the reply.

I'm using XP, but my longest route is 112 waypoints, and it got so slow I have used Anquet for longer routes than this. At this point probably the best way to go is a rough plan in the planner and fine tune in the Satmap. Sadly this means the detail available from the 1:25K scale in Route Planner is less useful for long trips like these.
goon525
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route planner (still shown as beta unless I'm being taken to the wrong page) seems to require a log-in including serial number every time you use it. Any way round it (RoboForm, which I generally use to enter passwords, doesn't seem to want to know about this one)??
johno99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I was wrong about the size of the route, it was 19 miles cycling over 4.5 hours, no big deal but on checking on the route planner it was 528 waypoints! and 63.9Kb, all entered automatically by the active 10.

I got a reply from Satmap, excellent service as usual, they have said that they are trying to to get the route size capacity increased. I wouldnt have thought that Saturdays lesiurly ride for half a day should cause such a problem. They also said It is very important that you import and export the route through satsync as this will reduce the file size. I only use satsync so thats not the problem.

They working on it, the whole point of beta I suppose.

John

satmapian wrote:
Yes John I'll be interested in the reply.

I'm using XP, but my longest route is 112 waypoints, and it got so slow I have used Anquet for longer routes than this. At this point probably the best way to go is a rough plan in the planner and fine tune in the Satmap. Sadly this means the detail available from the 1:25K scale in Route Planner is less useful for long trips like these.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johno99 wrote:

They working on it, the whole point of beta I suppose.
John

The thing is though,it's not Beta anymore and from April Satmap will be charging £80 for it.

Ian
Zedddd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've triedf plotting in a route and saving it (not sure if that's worked as no other window comes up when I click on the save option). Then when I try to download the route I get a windo come up with "There is (sic) no waypoints in the route" and a clikc to close this window link under it.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I'm on Windows XP.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zedddd wrote:
I've triedf plotting in a route and saving it (not sure if that's worked as no other window comes up when I click on the save option). Then when I try to download the route I get a windo come up with "There is (sic) no waypoints in the route" and a clikc to close this window link under it.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I'm on Windows XP.

When you click to save a route you should get a pop-up window saying that your route was saved successfully. I have sometimes had to click SAVE two or three times to get it to do this. I'm using IE 7 on XP SP3.
mako111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the route planner to be faster and more stable with Firefox (3.1 Beta 3) than IE.

But this is hardly suprising as the planner is javascript based and IE's performance is lagging in this area.

When editing routes with 100+ waypoints firefox often pops up a message that the script has been running for a long time and let's you choose whether to let it continue running or terminate it. If you let it continue then it finishes eventually.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: