Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Free UK traffic info to Symbian Mobile Phones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Free UK traffic info to Symbian Mobile Phones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikecouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to run mutiple applications over the same connection at the same time is application and phone specific. Most S60v3 phones should be capable of this, you should be able to run multiple satnav applications at the same time. If it doesn't work, chances are the application is doing something odd which prevents this, but we've had the traffic app working at the same time as a web browser and google maps, with no problem.

Mike
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a fairly old thread, but I have ben using the latest version of the application on a Nokia N82 (Symbian S60v3), for some time and it was great for my needs.

Up to now, that is - the N82 is no more. it has gone to phone heaven Crying or Very sad Anyway, I was at the end of my contract and got a deal with more data, more texts and more minutes for less cash and a free phone

It has been replaced by a Samsung i8910 Omnia HD (Symbian S60 v5) on an Orange Contract and I was wondering if the Mobile Traffic Client would work?

I'm a little reluctant to try it out straight away, in case I brick the phone!

It's not shown on the iTis compatibility list, but there are some Samsung phones there. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
mikecouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't brick your phone from trying an application that isn't compatible. We didn't test the application against the omnia as it wasn't out at the time, but the theory is it should work. Please feel free to download and install the app + map, and let us know if it works or not, we don't get many users on Samsung devices at the moment, so we have no idea how well it works.

Mike
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

I will give it a try and let you know the result.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

More to report:

I downloaded the latest imtc_standalone.sis from the website 367Kb in size and also the map_uk_full.sis file 11.458Mb and used the Samsung PC Studio 7 (v7.2.24.9) to install the first file.

Everything went OK, but there was a warning message popped up to say that
the application was not compatible with the phone, Continue anyway? I said yes and the installation completed OK. I have the icon for it in the Applications Folder.

I next installed the map file, using PC Studio. The same not compatible message came up, but it did appear to install OK. The phone was given a hard reset (battery out) and then when I tried to open the application, a message came up to say 'No Map Pack Found' and directed me to Press 'Download' to launch the web browser to get a map pack now. I used my WLAN connection and downloaded the 'UK Map 11.7Mb'. When it started to install, a message popped up to say the same map pack was there ans should it be overwritten by the same version. I said 'Yes' and reset the phone again.

The same thing happened, so I tried the 'SISX Test file. Same again, I'm afraid. Finally, I tried the Zip Test file, regrettably with the same result.

In all cases, the application and map packs were installed to the memory card of the phone.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hae tried again, uing both the Phone Memory and the Mass Memory on the Onmia, but there is no difference.

Each time I touch the con, the application starts, but the No Map Found message comes up and I get a window that tells me to download the map.

It looks as if one tiny flag it not set to point the app to the map.

Any assistance wold be appreciated.
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just on the off chance, I came across a link to a site that provides free applications for Symbian phones, one of which was the iTIS Traffic Info one.

I took the chance and downloaded and was advised that it was not compatible with the phone. I continued and installed and fired it up I was informed that there was no map found, which was not unexpected. A link opened to the iTIS download page, so I got the UK Map and it installed.

On tapping the new icon, the application opened and withing seconds, I had a GPS fix and traffic information was available.

The version is iTIS Traffic Info, v 1.20(5).

Now fully configured as I want it and working great.

Many thanks if you have released a new version!
crypticx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Free UK traffic info to Symbian Mobile Phones Reply with quote

mikecouk wrote:
Hi All,

ITIS are proud to launch a free mobile traffic information application for any Symbian S60v3 mobile phone that has GPS built in to it. Most of you will know of ITIS for its RDS-TMC service here in the UK, of which there is a healthy discussion forum here on pocketgpsworld.com.

Users can download the application and UK map pack from our new developer zone ;

http://devzone.itisholdings.com/mobileclient

Once users have installed the application and a "map-pack", the client sends the ITIS traffic server its GPS coorindates, and in return the server sends back traffic information for the surrounding area.

The anonymous GPS Data we collate from the handsets is added to the existing fleet data of around 80'000 unique vehicles per day, which is then fused with journalistic data provided by the "trafficlink" arm of ITIS. For more on ITIS and how its "trafficscience" technology works, please visit www.itisholdings.com

We have been running this application in beta for 12 months now, and we're very pleased with the final product . If you have any feedback, good or bad, please let me know !

regards,

Mike

can this be used on samsung galaxy s2 please
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is for Symbian (Nokia) only.
crypticx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
No, this is for Symbian (Nokia) only.

ok cheers.i will wait .thanks for quick reply
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Google Nav have some form of traffic data nowadays?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: