Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to Garmin Nuvi 765T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Garmin Nuvi 765T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: New to Garmin Nuvi 765T Reply with quote

Having just bought the Nuvi 765T, I wanted to instal Pocketworld safety camera database, which hopefully I have done, but do I now need to install the MP3 voices to go with them?? I don't want to mess it up as all has gone onto the system not the memory card, and I didn't know if I had to back up the system first like on the Tom Tom. Sorry but new to all this. Shocked Shocked
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. First of all do a backup of the Nuvi. Make a folder on your PC and carefully copy the contents to it. It might take up to an hour.

To add the Voice alerts you just download the one you want to use from here making sure you select one that matches the database type you downloaded - Single, File, Consolidated or Speed Zoned. Unzip the mp3 to the folder you have your POIs and Speed Camera Database in on your PC and upload the lot with POILoader to the Nuvi.
liggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply, just doing a back up using copy and paste, I presume that is correct, the TomTom gave you the oportunity to back up but I didn't see that on the Nuvi so hope that is correct.
Then will move on to your other suggestion.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst TomTom Home does offer a backup it's not advised as it's not a complete backup. The best way to backup a Nuvi and a TomTom is to copy and paste from the unit to your PC. You'll notice Garmin still use USB 1 and the backup will take a while. TomTom uses USB 2 and a similar amount of data takes a few minutes....
liggo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully done all that and it will now be as i want it, will test it tomorrow.

I couldn't copy all the files for some reason, but got most of them. Incidentally when I copied and pasted from my TomTom it wouldn't load the maps i had to do a backup as they suggested.

Thanks for your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: