Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Returned my 940 - long time untill I buy tomtom again!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Returned my 940 - long time untill I buy tomtom again!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Returned my 940 - long time untill I buy tomtom again! Reply with quote

Im an old time TT user, paying £600 in the old days for some of the early Tomtom Go's then recently switching to Garmin XT on my mobile.

Anyway my fingers were twitching for a 940 so I bought one on Feb 27th when the new maps were issued.

Connected it up and used LMG, well tried to, although it told me my map was up to date.

However in the same breath Home told me my maps were 2 quarters out of date and I could pay for the latest maps.

So I call TT who tell me I have to copy this, screen grab that, email this, scan that, fax this, screen grab this and then they might consider giving me access to the latest maps!

I told them if they werent willing to give me access to the latest maps without all the above it would be going back to halfords for a full refund.

So back it went today. I wouldnt have been as bothered if both LMG and the buy maps option were both telling me I was up to date. However I dont have the time or inclination to do all of the above TT requests just to prove to them when I bought the Go.

Rant over!

Rich
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was very impatient and there have been many posts in this forum saying that brand new maps take around a week after they are released to appear on the LMG. There are 30 days to use the LMG so there was no need to throw the toys out of the pram on day 1.
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there was also this....

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:54 pm Post subject: broke a new 940 twice in 2 days - help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

Got a 940 yesterday (had been holding out waiting for the new map)

Ive done 2 things, both of which have resulted in the following...

The TT goes into a bizarre mode when it switches on but never goes past the welcome photo screen, then it shuts itself down the hard disk screen appears with the bar running across the bottom, it does this a couple of times then just gets stuck on the welcome screen photo. You cannot get past this.

Holding the power down for 20 secs does nothing apart from bring up the device info. The only way round this is to dock and do a full system restore.

The first time it happened I had added some pics and chose one as the start up pic, then I went into windows explorer and deleted it - should that of caused the above to happen.

The second time I put an 8gb micro SD card into the 940 with around 4gb of music on it. Again would that cause the above to happen?

Either I have got a duff unit or these Go's are very fragile and if you do something they dont like, they throw a major wobbly!

Just not sure which it is!

Cheers
Rich
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
That was very impatient and there have been many posts in this forum saying that brand new maps take around a week after they are released to appear on the LMG. There are 30 days to use the LMG so there was no need to throw the toys out of the pram on day 1.

Oh, and buying on the 27th and returning on the 7th is over a week, besides TT had already confirmed on the phone that the LMG would not work with my unit. They would manually have to release the maps to it once I had sent everything in.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonypc100 wrote:
MrT wrote:

Oh, and buying on the 27th and returning on the 7th is over a week, besides TT had already confirmed on the phone that the LMG would not work with my unit. They would manually have to release the maps to it once I had sent everything in.

Well, I disagree with MrT and I agree with you. I have previously returned 910s and 730s within 24 hours of purchase - I'm not prepared to give anybody a few days for something which should work out of the box. I'm sitting here gagging for a 940. But the 930s were no better than my 920 and 720 and there's been nothing posted yet to encourage me to believe the 940 is any better. It has better features, but how many of them work and how many of the faults with x20s and x30s are still not corrected? I really, really want a 940, but I fancy it'll have to wait until at least the 970 (if my x20s last that long)!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be missing the point here but if the unit was faulty I would not hesitate to return it, but I saw the fault above as one with TTs map servers which is why I thought it odd to return the unit.

I returned my first 940 myself as it would not turn on after a few days and before that the live services did not work. The second one worked out of the box, so there are bad ones out there.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I might be missing the point here but if the unit was faulty I would not hesitate to return it, but I saw the fault above as one with TTs map servers which is why I thought it odd to return the unit.

How do you define "faulty"? His 940 didn't do "what it says on the tin" when it came out of the box. He even gave TT the benefit of the doubt by contacting them about it and they gave him the run-around - he knew, you know and I know there's a newer map than the one he has, so why should he have to jump through hoops to get it when the box says he can have it under "Latest Map Guarantee"?

My first 910 went back and was refunded when the man at PC World, or Halfords, or wherever said all it needed was a press of the reset button. After owning a 300 and a 700, my position was that I didn't want something which needed a reset 24 hours after I'd first switched it on - like I said, after owning a 300 and 700 I had no idea about reset. My mate who bought my 300 (December 2005), still has it and never uses the reset button. Nowadays, I do it most weeks on my two x20s and have become blasé, accustomed to it. Back in those days I wasn't so tolerant and I don't blame anyone else for not tolerating it now. It's a shame so many of us put up with this from TomTom. If we didn't, perhaps they'd sell us devices which work properly.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Dennis,
People wouldn't put up with other stuff they bought that didn't do what it was supposed to do. Could you imaging what mr.t would have to say if he bought a waterproof coat that leaked and when he whent back to the shop they told him.. but sir it will work fine if you just hold a brolly above it when you use it!
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, on the "tin" it told me I had LMG, it didnt say I would have to jump through hoops to get it. TT were not interested in being helpful on the phone nor did they, for the sake of good customer relations/retention offer to release me the latest map without having to go through a load of nonsense first.

The 940 is the flagship go with a premuim price and for that I expect a premium product and premium service. Imagine buying a Rolex only to be told you cannot set the up to date time on it and use it until you have faxed and scanned your life story to Rolex HQ then and only then they might let you up date the time on your watch!
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totaly agree with Dennis, nicely said!

Those of us who have used Tomtom's for 5 plus years have become so blarsa about restting / re-installing / crashing etc. It seems the more devices Tomtom bring out the more un-reliable they become. I have moved up from Tomtom Navigator to Go 300, then to a Go 700, then Go 910 then to a 930 and now finally to a 940 Live, and the reliability of the 940 is so poor I wounder why I bothered.

I think the only reason we put up with it is because apart from the reliability issue Tomtom still have the inovation, the imagination and the market share to produce the best devices out there. I mean if the 940 worked properly (like it says on the box), i would consider it to be perfect. But they know they have the best devices out there, so as long as they are selling the volume, they dont care. If the volumes dropped off, then maybe they would give more focus to the reliability and customer service.
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..... as long as they are selling the volume, they dont care. If the volumes dropped off, then maybe they would give more focus to the reliability and customer service.

Well whos fault is this then? Perhaps if more people knew what their reliability was like then the numbers would fall.
I switched from navman, and unless there is a drastic change with tomtom I would never get another.
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:

Well whos fault is this then? .

Its our fault, well atleast those who arent happy with them and continue to buy them - like me!. I know that, but as I said, they are still the best devices out there in my opinion, maybe even with all the faults. I suppose you could say I want my cake and to eat it!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets be realistic here people. One aspect, the LMG, hasn't worked as advertised. The unit WILL work out of the box. I have a 940 and have had no issues at all. Worked perfectly since day one.

There is no excuse for Tomtom's lack of understanding regarding the LMG, but this is obviously an error on their server as many users are reporting problems with this new map update and being offered the wrong map and LMG issues.

If you bought the unit from a shop, and used it to get from A to B, it would do from the moment you open the box. Which is what it is designed to do!

I do agree that the Customer Service needs to be looked at, and the way the LMG is handled.

But overall, I do think the x40 series IS fit for purpose and for me, has worked flawlessly from day one!

Just my own personal opinion!

EDIT - If the unit is faulty, then it should be returned for a replacement.

iPhone 12
sonypc100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Lets be realistic here people. One aspect, the LMG, hasn't worked as advertised. The unit WILL work out of the box. I have a 940 and have had no issues at all. Worked perfectly since day one.

There is no excuse for Tomtom's lack of understanding regarding the LMG, but this is obviously an error on their server as many users are reporting problems with this new map update and being offered the wrong map and LMG issues.

If you bought the unit from a shop, and used it to get from A to B, it would do from the moment you open the box. Which is what it is designed to do!

I do agree that the Customer Service needs to be looked at, and the way the LMG is handled.

But overall, I do think the x40 series IS fit for purpose and for me, has worked flawlessly from day one!

Just my own personal opinion!

EDIT - If the unit is faulty, then it should be returned for a replacement.

So if you bought a £1000 Armani coat and all the buttons fell off but it still kept you warm you would think, well its designed to keep me warm which it is, so Im not bothered about the buttons falling off!
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously not! I would have taken it back to the store asap and got a replacement/ refund!

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: