Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic options in Portugal / Italy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic options in Portugal / Italy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: TomTom Traffic options in Portugal / Italy Reply with quote

I have a TT Live 740 with an active HD Traffic sub and also an older TT XL with a TT Plus with European Map and GPRS sub still active, as well as a RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for it.

I am going to Portugal for a week soon and Italy in June.
What options do I have for traffic?

I know the TT Live HD won’t work outside of the UK, but can I link it via a mobile phone (like on the XL) to download any available TT plus GPRS data.

Checking these forums and also the TomTom website, it seems not much doing for Portugal, but Italy may have both RDS-TMC Information and TomTom PLUS Traffic coverage.

Ideally I would rather use the GPRS TomTom PLUS Traffic on the TT Live 740 as by June my TT Plus Traffic sub for the XL will have expired and I don’t think the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver for the XL will fit the TT Live 740.

Can’t find anything that says that when outside of the UK (where the HD Traffic won’t work) you can access the TomTom PLUS Traffic option as an alternative.

This seems strange for a device that has full map coverage of Europe.
hope68
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

unfortunately its not possible to use TomTomTraffic with the x40 range. I asked them some time ago when I did a report on the 940.

The only thing you can do abraod is use the RDS-TMC receiver. The Mini-USB-Receiver that is, if you only have the original mount or the old Traffic-Receiver if you have the Multi-Media-Mount. Or you go for the newly released integrated TMC mount.

QuickGPS then can only be downloaded via HOME if you are abroad. But honestly I have been two weeks in the States last year and it only took me until I tipped in the destination until I had a GPS signal.

cu Peter
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best option is to renew the traffic GPRS sub on your TT XL or use the RDS TMC adapter.

This is the main reason I bought the 930 instead of a 940 when I found out that you are 'tied' into the HD Traffic.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Best option is to renew the traffic GPRS sub on your TT XL or use the RDS TMC adapter.

This is the main reason I bought the 930 instead of a 940 when I found out that you are 'tied' into the HD Traffic.

I think TomTom are probably missing a trick here.
The option to buy a month "top up" to allow access to the GPRS data on the HD equipped devices when overseas, would surely provide them with some well needed pennies!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adobbing wrote:

The option to buy a month "top up" to allow access to the GPRS data on the HD equipped devices when overseas, would surely provide them with some well needed pennies!

I presume TomTom kept the price down of their Vodafone HD Traffic by not allowing roaming, as the roaming charges would make the HD Traffic sub a lot higher than it is already.
adobbing
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
adobbing wrote:

I presume TomTom kept the price down of their Vodafone HD Traffic by not allowing roaming, as the roaming charges would make the HD Traffic sub a lot higher than it is already.

It would be good if the inbuilt GSM link could be used, even if on a top up basis.
Like buying an extra subscripion with a limited lifespan from TomTom Home before travelling.
I was though, thinking of the ability to utilise the units link with a phone by bluetooth and use the phones GSM link and roaming charges.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: