Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vista HCx Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vista HCx Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BTBR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Vista HCx Questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

New to the forum so please be gentle with me. Wink

Just taken delivery on my new Vista HCx unit and I have to say that its a minefield, not the actual unit but adding routes! Shocked

In saying that I have been using a Garmin StreetPilot III for about five years so I am used to using them.

I already have City Navigator Mapsource installed on the laptop and after a quick mail to Garmin have unlocked it to both units, so we are good to go.

Loaded the maps onto the SD card, still no problems.

I have already plotted several routes in Mapsource for pending cycle events, with the SP III it was just a case of plugging the unit in, click 'send to device', and away it went, no problems.

But when I try doing the same with the Vista, I got a message that the route was truncated? Confused This was saving it as a .gdb file.

So then I saved it as a .gpx file and tried again. It transferred across ok, but only as a series of straight lines? Opened it up on the unit and clicked "navigate", it then joined all the dots. However when zooming in on the route on the unit to check it, it was different to the one that I had drafted in Mapsource?

While it had joined all the dots, on a couple of occasions it had done a wierd double back in order to accommodate them? Of course I don't really want to ride extra miles than I have to, especially in a timed event!!

Why wont it just show the route that I have sent over?

So the next option I tried was is to save it as a track and not have the turn by turn assistance, just try and follow the pink line on the screen?

But I'm confused why it won't function like my SP III does?

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry if this is a numpty question, and with deep regret I fear that I may have more to follow. Embarassed
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However when zooming in on the route on the unit to check it, it was different to the one that I had drafted in Mapsource?

That seems normal, Mapsource sends your start, finish and vias then the unit [using the options you have selected within the unit] constructs a route.

Recent versions of CityNavigator Europe are providing appalling routes on the units - with involved doubling back! Sad
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the SP III is optimised for on-road planning whilst the Vista is a more general purpose device - so as eyeQue says - you may want to look at any routing options that you can tweak. For cycling setting it for shortest distance (if available) may be the best option. Fastest route setting may well take you more miles as it tries to keep you on high-speed roads - not usually what you want to do on a bike.
BTBR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyeQue wrote:
Recent versions of CityNavigator Europe are providing appalling routes on the units - with involved doubling back! Sad

I don't think that the problem is with just recent versions. Mine is V9 and like you say for some unknown reason it doubles back on a couple of occasions???

The unit is set for shortest distance and also for cycles, but it still insists and opting for the longer route in places, c/w a double back in order to pick up a waypoint???

As it stands right now and based on the two routes that I have done, I simply cannot trust it, which is a real shame. Evil or Very Mad Riding 100+ miles is bad enough without back tracking. Sad

The other option of course os to convert the route into a track via WinGDB and then save the track. It just means that I will not have the "prompted turn" function, but at least I can rely on the track being the one that I need to be on. Just a case of keeping to the pink line I suppose?
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had more success when I removed all 'AVOIDS' within the unit.

Try also 'locked to road' and without 'locked to road'.

Try a route and post the start and finish to see how our units cope with it.

Make sure the vias are in an exact spot on the correct side of a road/roundabout.
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'truncated' usually means that you have too many via points.

Did you try the route or just looked at it on the unit?

To try the route on the unit you have to be in demo mode[without a live GPS signal] and move your current location to the start of your route.

Just thinking aloud in print!!!! Very Happy
BTBR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyeQue wrote:
'truncated' usually means that you have too many via points.

Did you try the route or just looked at it on the unit?

To try the route on the unit you have to be in demo mode[without a live GPS signal] and move your current location to the start of your route.

Just thinking aloud in print!!!! Very Happy

It cut the route short, I only had 28 miles detailed of a 76 mile route.

I have since found out that the "route" created in Mapsource had a grand total of around 1380 via points, but the Vista is limited to 250 apparently?

But it is critical that I stick to the route given out by the organisers as there are "secret" check points along the route. Failure to get your card stamped at one of these check points results in a fail.

Imagine how gutted would you be if you had ridden 100+ miles and missed out a check thanks to your GPS throwing a wobbly!!!!

Like I said, it now looks like I will have to rely on the track option now, but I would really have liked the "voice prompt" to help me.

In saying that, I am playing around with GPSBabel to see if I can convert it to "something" else, but I am very quickly losing the will to live if I'm honest!!! Crying or Very sad
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you should have a detailed route in print from the organisers. If so - you would be better off following this as their route probably won't fall into one of the standard categories (fastest / shortest / ...) Use the GPS to track your route and to see where you are. Simply position well chosen waypoints to allow you to see your progress.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking aloud here...

Can you create a track from the route description you have you have? If so you can copy this to your unit and follow this. I've never tried this with MapSource - don't even know if you can do it - but I have done something similar with OziExplorer and my old GPSII+ unit years ago.
BTBR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
Just thinking aloud here...

Can you create a track from the route description you have you have? If so you can copy this to your unit and follow this. I've never tried this with MapSource - don't even know if you can do it - but I have done something similar with OziExplorer and my old GPSII+ unit years ago.

Yes you are correct, prior to the event you are sent a detailed route card. As well as the route, it gives the locations of the Control Points and Check Points.

The Control Points are just to make sure that you are taking the longer route and are normally in the from of a question, name of a pub, name of a street etc.

The Check Points are where you get your card stamped, and have a cuppa, plus grab some food. So it goes without saying that both points are most important.

Most people normally carry the route details on a bracket mounted on the bars, and as I have done the past. However, my eyes are starting to fail me and reading the route card on the move is not quite as easy as it used to be. Embarassed

Hence the reason why I have gone down the GPS option. My master plan was to draft the exact same in Mapsource, following the route card details.

Then on the day, just follow the on screen prompts from the GPS, what could be easier?

Sadly its not to be by the look of it, coz the stupid GPS thinks that is smarter than a 50 year old..... Mad

However, I have now converted, via WinGDB, the routes into tracks together with any Waypoints used in the route, ie the Control and Check Points.

It just means that I have to follow a "pink" track line on the GPS screen instead of getting turn prompts. Better than I was before...I think?

Time will tell, or this coming Saturday when I will be using it for the first time in anger. Laughing
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTBR,

You will find that just going through the planning of the route will help to fix it in your mind - so when you get to certain points you think "A-ha! I remember seeing this funny junction on the map" I'm 58 and have to wear glasses to see anything on my sat nav systems Shocked I now have my Active 10 unit mounted to my bike - it works remarkably well. My first on-bike GPS experience was using a Garmin GPSII+ held onto my handlebars with a 'flexible mounting solution' - a couple of large rubber bands. It worked extremely well and got me across England on the C2C route back in the 90s - I suspect the GPS would still make it, but my legs may not now Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: