Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Importing the sped camera database onto the Palm.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing the sped camera database onto the Palm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pecca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Importing the sped camera database onto the Palm. Reply with quote

Hello all Mr. Green

My first ever post here on this great site.

I have done a lot of reading here prior to registering and posting but I may have over looked an already answered question.

I am running a Palm Tungsten T with a fortunia bluetooth clip.

I have a couple of free ware gps programs Cetus and coto.

How the devil do or can I import the speed camera db into my palm Question
(i know cetus and coto will not support this kind of import but i will contact the programmer in a couple of days and pick his brains!)

If importable I wouldnt mind not running other gps software. (mapping software etc)

A simple program that allows the excel db to be converted into palm format on the PC then sync to the palm. Holding the list of location points and giving an audiable tone when in area.

I really want to have a lot of input into this db as I am always working throughout the UK. I have a major intrest in detecting and logging all blackspots, red lights mobile cameras blah blah. Together with this my father works with the traffic cops and he to is wanting to run a pocket gps database.

Many many thanks

pecca.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of those programs before, but providing they'll allow importing of data in a CSV type format then it shouldn't be a problem. Ideally you really need some sort of detector software, a lot of users on the PPC use TomTom along with a detector for full satnav and cameras, but TomTom on the Palm won't accept custom POI's at the moment.
pecca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Dave.

The two programs that I have mentioned are very simple and do not provide mapping solutions.
For recording Long and Lat they work a treat, its free! However if I were to import the database then the POI would be classed as "markers" within these programs.

So now I am off on my travels to search for Palm T apps that will allow me to import CSV files and be configurable so they give an alarm when approaching one of the automated stealth tax machines!

Maybe I need to look at gecaching or even an emulator that runs symbian software so I could try to run Traff cam, as traff cam does not support the Palm T as of yet!

Oh the reason for my troubles....
I cannot see the point in purchasing a product of approx £400 plus subscription when we all have this technology at home. A little bit of time and thought, sharing ideas working together could save us all a bob or two!!
7driver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created a vcf file that will allow you to import into palm desktop -- it lists all the cameras as waypoints (ie address book entries with associated locations).

How you then use those -- either with proximity alert software, or just showing them on maps is up to you!

If the editors want to post a copy then I will let them have mine.

db

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: