Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Invisible maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Invisible maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philcart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Invisible maps Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just bought navman 4410 + smartST v2 to go on my iPaq H5550. It came with USA map CDs + UK maps on a 128mb SD card.

I have got everything installed and set up OK, but can't see the UK maps.
Browsing the card via File Explorer, the data is there OK, and I have set SmartST to get the maps from the card, but nothing is listed, and the map screen is blank, both with and without a GPS fix.

I did notice that with the card installed, the copyright notices displayed in the "About" section are for UK areas.

Can anyone advise please?

Does anyone want the USA map CDs - free to good home if you pay P&P.
Cheers,

Phil
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Have you checked that the maps on the card have been made active?

Go to 'Setup' screen from main menu, select 'map' on the bottom tabs, and make sure the map segments are ticked.

Where abouts are you?
I would be happy to take the USA maps off your hands. Just wondeng why you dont want them?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Invisible maps Reply with quote

Phil,

Philcart wrote:
Hi,
I have just bought navman 4410 + smartST v2 to go on my iPaq H5550. It came with USA map CDs + UK maps on a 128mb SD card.

I have got everything installed and set up OK, but can't see the UK maps.
Browsing the card via File Explorer, the data is there OK, and I have set SmartST to get the maps from the card, but nothing is listed, and the map screen is blank, both with and without a GPS fix.

I did notice that with the card installed, the copyright notices displayed in the "About" section are for UK areas.

Can anyone advise please?

Does anyone want the USA map CDs - free to good home if you pay P&P.
Cheers,

Phil

I've asked at Navman whether or not the US and UK versions of the software use the same front-end programme. As yet, I have had no confirmation either way. It could be that they don't. The reason that I asked them the question is that I'm off to Florida in August and didn't want to rely on my Garmin GPS V, since I'm used to a large colour screen, now. I'd also love to have a look at your US maps, but I see that I've been beaten to it! Oh well, if you live near Surrey maybe I could confirm whether or not your UK maps are actually usable.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read your post again I am now assuming that the 'Active map' screen is blank?.

I just tried removing the card from my iPAQ and the maps disappeared but the 'About' screen still scrolled the installed maps. With the card out I get the symptoms you have described.

Are you sure that the card is working correctly and the SmartST software can access it?
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which retailer sold you this bundle. Did you get the CD's with the memory card? If so, the activation keys should be on there
carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a similar problem with a Swedish upgrade bundle I just received from Navman. It consists of a strange(?) mix of one SmartST for GPS 4410 Application installer disk (with one product key on the back) and one two-disk set of SmartST Professional Europe for 4400 containing an installer program of its own and also the maps to be used. It has another product key on the back of the outside cover.

The maps are supposed to be installed after the SmartST program has been installed from the single 4410 disk and activated. I am supposed to enter both a program key and a map key during activation, but the activation screen only accepts one of them - saying that one of the keys is incompatible with the program that just has been installed.

Using the compatible key only makes loading of the maps impossible. This problem can be overcome by a trick in the Navman support FAQ. But - but maps loaded in this way are not seen by the SmartST program, and the reason given by their support FAQ is that the maps are not activated correctly. Of course they are not - there is no product key for it - or where is it to be found?

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Carl
carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,
Just for the record I want to clarify my previous post. The real cause of the problems I describe was the fact that this particular Swedish upgrade is meant to replace the previous SmartST software with the most recent one while retaining the old Navtech maps. This can be done, but the instructions how to do it that came in the package were incorrect.

Thanks to the quick and corteous service given by the Swedish supplier, Gadgetec, I now have an up to date SmartST V2 running on my Ipaq 3950 connecting to a Fortuna Clip-on BT GPS receiver. Three cheers for Gadgetec! Thumbs Up No reply from Navman - lucky I do not need one... 8O

Still there are no ferry lines defined in the Navtech maps, so I cannot calculate routes to and fro islands in Western Sweden. This issue is however handled more gracefully now. While the previous SmartST went on calculating until locking up when all available memory had been used up, the new V2 almost immediately gives a message indicating that the roads on the island seem to be unconnected with the one I am trying to find a route to.

Carl
pann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have also received the same upgrade as you Carl. With the new instructions for installation almost every thing worked out. But I have still the problem with invisible maps in the desktop application as well as in SmartST under settings/maps. This prevents med from deleting maps from my CF-card and check/uncheck maps in SmartST under settings/maps.
In spite of this SmartST does the work with routing and so on.

Carl, did the new version that you get from gadgetec solve all of the above for you?

I have an iPAQ 3900 with a 3400 Sleeve and 512mb CF-card.
carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Pann

Now that you mention it I find that I have the same problems as you. What I got from Gadgetec was AFAIK the same updated installation instructions that I received a couple of days later by mail from Navman - no more and no less.

I have five maps installed on my SD card: Norway, Denmark and Sweden (3 parts on different maps) and they show up in the Main menu / Settings / Map "Activate choice of maps" as 5 checkboxes without any names to the right of them. Clicking on Main menu / Map moves right back to the map I presently use, that is West Sweden. (I am using the Swedish installation and the names in the UK version might be different from my re-translation.)

I just tested which of my checked boxes that corresponds to the different maps and from the top it happens to be West Sweden, Norway, Denmark, North Sweden and Central Sweden. The logic in all this escapes me, but it might have to do with the order in which I installed maps on my SD card. Thus it IS possible to switch maps, but you will have to do it blindly...

I did check that everything was working OK after first installing the English version of the SmartST V2 software. Installing the Swedish version was a second step and I have to admit that the whole routine seemed ridiculous to me. I am positive that everything was OK before I did so. I did not check everything closely since I was eager to find out if the Swedish install would work at all and also how good the improved Swedish maps might be. Still I strongly believe that all maps were visible in the Main menu / Settings / Map "Activate choice of maps" and that I was able to choose either of the 5 alternative maps after clicking on Main menu / Map as long as I was using the English SmartST V2 software.

I remember that I did not see any installed maps in the CF/SD card window in the map installation routine like the instructions say that I should. (I did not read them before - sorry!) I do not see them now either using the Swedish desktop software and neither using the English desktop.

I just seems like I jumped to conclusions when I wrote that my Swedish SmartST V2 was working OK Embarassed . I should have been more careful, but the ferry issue is so big for me that lost interest when I found that there weren't any in the improved maps either. I just went back to the TomTom software I bought while waiting. TomTom does'nt offer pan European maps in the package, though, and Navman will be handy if I go to Germany or France this summer (not using any ferries,of course Twisted Evil)

I am sorry that I gave you the impression that the Swedish SmartST V2 was working for me. I just looks like Navman have rushed (? - it took them a year) a "fix" out of the door without proper testing. Nevertheless SmartST V2 Swedish CAN be used if you are willing work around its shortcomings.

Best of luck - if you solve the problems I am eager to hear about it!

Carl
pann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carl,

I received this answer from Navman:

“Because there is no Swedish translation for the maps' name, it is installed on your PDA but the name is actually blank. We are working on the matter and should release an update very soon to solve this problem.
Keep an eye on our website and your mailbox to stay up to date with the latest releases.”
pann
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carl,

With the new service pack 2 the problem is solved. I have installed sp2 and I can now see all the maps names both in the desktop application and in smartST.
carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pann,
Great news - thanks for the info!
Carl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: