Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Music from SD card on TomTom Go530 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Music from SD card on TomTom Go530 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Music from SD card on TomTom Go530 ? Reply with quote

Hi, just wondered how to play mp3s from an SD card on my TomTom Go530 ?. It seems i may have overlooked something. When i put the card in (full of songs) it seems to refresh the screen as if it's searching for songs, but then still only finds the 3 songs and 6 audio books that come already on the 530.

Is there a trick to get this working ?

Best Regards,
Andrew
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a folder named ''mp3'' (all lower case and without the '''') put all your mp3 tracks in this folder and it will work fine - Mike
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah you're a genius Mike ! (to us clueless bods anyway!)

Just curious but is there a reason why when you take the SD card out (when the TT530 is switched off), and put it back in then switch on, you have to keep the power button held down for 3 seconds and the TT530 then shows the "loading" progress bar screen ?

I usually only have to briefly press the power button to switch it on, but after SD card is taken out and re-inserted i need to hold down power button for longer to switch it on.

Not a problem, but just takes a bit longer to load.

Regards,
Andrew
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a clean start, the TT tries to boot from the card first, so it goes and looks for the system files there.
Only when it doesn't find them does it start to look on the internal memory and when it finds them, it boots from there.

But when you "turn it off" with the power switch, you are actually putting it into a "sleep" mode so when you turn it back on it doesn't need to go through the whole boot process again, it just carries on from where it was (on the internal memory).
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah i see, so taking the SD card out, switching off, then restarting forces the TT to do a boot up rather than a "wake up" ?

Cheers for the info,
Andrew
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which seems to be a viable way of getting it out of a hang at TomTomGo screen! Laughing Assuming you have a card *without* boot software on it. And which doesn't require a paper clip.

Still impossible to do safely while driving, so I hope they fix things soooooon!
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one further question and a little off topic heading (apologies!), but can u get a remote control for the TomTom Go530 which will allow me to move to the next mp3 track without having to actually touch the TomTom ?

Just plugged it into the AUX IN of my car stereo and the mp3 quality is excellent !!!!!!

Regards,
Andrew
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can. GBP 29.35 direct from TomTom (see HERE), but probably cheaper if you hunt around.
It works by Bluetooth and it is a one button press to change music tracks.

There's a PGPSW review of it HERE which unfortunately doesn't mention mp3s at all.

...but there's confirmation about the track selection in a post by Calomax HERE.

-Andy

(P.S. it sounds great on the Bluetooth output too, but the FM is awful...)
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the good info there Andy, funnily enough my car radio has Bluetooth but it will not link with the TomTom530, i think it's due to the car radio not being able to accept bluetooth audio, it's just to connect your mobile phone (i think !!).

I'll try Amazon as i cannot find any cheap remotes on ebay, they all seem to be for the 510, 710 etc.

All the Best,
Andrew
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy15star wrote:
Cheers for the good info there Andy, funnily enough my car radio has Bluetooth but it will not link with the TomTom530, i think it's due to the car radio not being able to accept bluetooth audio, it's just to connect your mobile phone (i think !!).

Aha!!
We might have a fix for that too.... Smile

I have a Sony car radio and the TomTom wouldn't pair with it. It's not the radio at fault, but the TomTom being too "picky" about what it pairs with.
However there is a file you can add to the TomTom which gives you a new menu icon. Tap it once and *maybe* it will fix it for you. It certainly did for me.
On later software, I found I didn't need it any more, as if TomTom are adding more compatibility.

You can download it from THIS topic on another forum - use the FIRST version that has a link in the second post, not the one he suggests later.
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy, i'll have a go with that file shortly. It could have also been the fact that the radio (at the time) was paired to my mobile phone and obviously the radio will only pair with one at a time....possibly.

My radio is the standard SEAT radio in the new Ibiza, do you think if i pair the TTGo530 to my Bluetooth Car radio then the title/artish will be shown on the screen of the car radio ?

Regards,
Andrew
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... I think just the audio gets transmitted. Certainly it doesn't do anything like that on my Sony. It just sits there saying "BT audio" on the screen.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you manage to connect the device via Bluetooth it won't display the track/ artist information, it will play the sound with the very best quality though, considerably better than a wired connection albeit at a much reduced volume level.
If the device fails to connect the first time try it again a few more times as it can be fickle to get working - I have to put my 930 next to the car deck for it to pair up, once this is done and the initial connection is established then it works fine from the normal holder on the windscreen. I don't get this issue with the 940 or 720 they will pair up/ connect from anywhere within the car - Mike
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike and Andy, i'll have another go tomorrow when i'm in the car, hopefully it might connect straight away Smile !

Regards,
Andy
andy15star
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, well i've just put that bluetooth file in the root of my TT530 and clicked on it. The TT530 now sees my SEAT_UHV radio on it's bluetooth menu but will not connect. The pass code is correct "1234", but it says something to the effect of "cannot do hifi audio on this device", so i guess my Seat radio isn't compatible !!! darn shame !!

Regards,
Andrew

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: