Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom HOME 2.6 Beta Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom HOME 2.6 Beta Now Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New with this beta - possibly to support its new easy-disconnect button and the (actually rather good) feature that allows it to support multiple devices with multiple logins without manually having to log each device in upon connection - is a Windoze Service, "TomTom Home Service", set to start Automatically.

Now, if I connected my TomTom One v2 every day, and kept it connected, and ran TomTom Home every day as part of my startup procedure, I could understand this. As it is, I run Home once or twice a week, and frankly I hate it when companies install automatically-starting software on my PC. The main part of Home autostarting is bad enough (as is the fact that it reverts to that behaviour on every update, forcing me to disable it every flippin' time), but a service that does so, without warning, is really not good enough. Manual start should be fine for this kind of thing, and I've made that change.

After a bit of testing with the service stopped and set to manual, I frankly can't see any difference in Home's operation. I can say that, at least with my combination of hardware and software, Home doesn't start the service On Demand (which is what is supposed to happen with Manual services), so maybe it isn't needed at all; so why install it and have it start up, taking time and occupying memory, every time I start my PC?

Adobe does this kind of thing too, as does Microsoft with its ActiveSync nonsense. When will these companies learn: IT'S MY COMPUTER, NOT YOURS! ASK FIRST! Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree with you Jellyroll, annoys the hell out of me that these things take it upon themselves to take over your PC.

I've tweaked the registry to stop Home autostarting, but is this Windows Service something else again?

Any chance you could do a "How To..." on how to stop it ? (and if I'm honest, I've forgotten what I tweaked in the registry to stop the main prog too, so if you could write that up, I'm sure a lot of people here would appreciate it).
ArtoP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully TomTom reading this forum.

In a new Home beta (2.6.0.1512) there is a translation error in Finnish language. When you right click the TomTom icon on lower right of the screen and select “Exit” it is translated to “Erkanemiskohta”. This word means an exit on the motorway, not exit from the application. It should be “Lopeta” which means close the application totally.

It is correctly translated in the public version of TomTom Home.
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
this Windows Service [...]

Any chance you could do a "How To..." on how to stop it ?

Under Windoze 2000 & XP and similar (I know nothing of Vista, Server 2008 & Windoze 7), you need to go into the Services console. This can be done by going into "Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services", or from the "Run..." box or Command Prompt using "%SystemRoot%\system32\services.msc /s". ("%SystemRoot%" is a shortcut for what is usually, but not always, "C:\Windows" or "C:\WinNT"; "%Windir%" is another shortcut for pretty much the same thing. On most Windoze installations just typing "services.msc" instead of including the full path and the "/s" will suffice, but the full version caters for weird setups and makes sure you don't see any "Micro$oft Rox!" splash screens.)

You need to be a privileged user to do this, so you may need to run it as Administrator to get access.

Once there, scroll down to "TomTomHOMEService", right-click and choose "Properties". Change "Startup type" from "Automatic" to "Manual", then click "OK" and close the Services console. If you want to stop it as you make the change, rather than have it not start automatically when you next reboot, simply click "Stop" when you're changing its startup type.

Finally, to toggle the state of the service (i.e. start and stop it) without mucking around with opening and closing the Services console, use "net start TomTomHOMEService" and "net stop TomTomHOMEService" in the "Run..." box or at the command prompt.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 'work through' is really helpful - it's ages since I used that service and I had completely forgotten about it.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same in Windows Vista as XP & 2000.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a long time trying to find out what "Windoze" is.. thought it was some kind of sleep programme. But following some of the replies, it seems it's just a misspelling of Windows. If you use the Google toolbar, you can spellcheck before you submit your posts!!
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
I spent a long time trying to find out what "Windoze" is.. thought it was some kind of sleep programme. But following some of the replies, it seems it's just a misspelling of Windows. If you use the Google toolbar, you can spellcheck before you submit your posts!!

You're a PC. Laughing

Last edited by Seamaster on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:

Yep, I thought it was a sub-menu of HOME Rolling Eyes
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that "Windoze" is the correct spelling of the product, just as "Micro$oft" is the correct spelling of the company that sells it.

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled topic...
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jellyroll wrote:
I think you'll find that "Windoze" is the correct spelling of the product, just as "Micro$oft" is the correct spelling of the company that sells it.

I would find an explanation of your statement interesting - I'm always ready to learn Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windoze is a commonly used derogatory derivation of Windows. I think it simply reflects the fact that most MS Operating Systems since DOS have become ever more bloated piles of something adding little extra functionality but a whole load of extra bloat and bugs.

Sadly whilst many of us despise them we're forced to use them for many things. That situation is changing though.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Windoze is a commonly used derogatory derivation of Windows. I think it simply reflects the fact that most MS Operating Systems since DOS have become ever more bloated piles of something adding little extra functionality but a whole load of extra bloat and bugs.

Sadly whilst many of us despise them we're forced to use them for many things. That situation is changing though.

Thanks, Darren - So a little bit of cynicism from Jellyroll, then. I don't do that on a Monday morning Sad
DeeSee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P et al

Quote:
I certainly agree with you Jellyroll, annoys the hell out of me that these things take it upon themselves to take over your PC.

A much simpler way to control programmes which try to take control of your PC is to use Winpatrol (free)http://www.winpatrol.com/.

This software allows you to disable, set to manual, or remove software that you don't wish to run on your machine.

Its primary function is to keep malware and spyware in check, so it is doubly beneficial.

DeeSee
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already use something similar ('Startup Monitor 'by Mike Lin).
I can't remember the details but while that usually does the trick, there was something about the recent Home versions that sneaked its way into the system even more...
This Windows "Service" is something new again isn't it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> MyTomTom / TomTom HOME Desktop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: