Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom LIVE - Success or Failure?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom LIVE - Success or Failure?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robbooth
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Just a note to say that the HD traffic info was very accurate on my Easter travels. Particularly yesterday, with lots of heavy traffic travelling south on the M6, it was showing the start and stop of crawling traffic to within 100 yards or so. Fortunately I was on the other carriageway, so didn't have to worry about the 9.8M of traffic.

Ah, that's why my 940 diverted me off the (southbound) M6 and onto the M1 then.

Also the Google search was brilliant, as when I stopped at the services my low oil light came on when I restarted, so a quick live search and trip to the local Halfords and I was on my way again.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have covered about 1500 miles over the last 10 days from Wiltshire right through to Inverness and back again and based upon the frequent rerouting offered and the live traffic bulletin reports on the radio I have to say I was extremely impressed - it saved me a lot of time!

There is no more smug a feeling than being able to drive at 60 mph on a clear road which runs parallel to the road which is congested Very Happy
red-max
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had my TomTom GO 540 LIVE for a couple of weeks now, and I am interested to hear feedback from other owners on the LIVE services, HD Traffic in particular.

This morning it seemed to work quite well when there was a queue of traffic at the bottom of the A34, unfortunately too late for me to divert, but my colleague behind was able to re-route and save 20 mins delay after I called to warn him.

As far as the other LIVE services, I find the Fuel pricing (and nearest fuel locations) to be quite useful. The Google search is impressive, though I haven't used it in anger yet. The Weather reports and Buddies features are somewhat less useful for me.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to start a new topic on this, but stumbled across this one. My trial's now expired (even the 14 day free grace they give you by promising to subscribe) and I have to say that recently the HD Traffic has been, well, pants.

In the last week of my trial it missed:

M6 closed at J8 (M5). All matrix signs clearly stating a closure but due to my destination and legal driving times diverting earlier (across through towards Derby to M1 say) wasn't an option. The matrix signs were telling me it was closed from about Knutsford (M6 J19) so they can't say it 'was a sudden thing'. Was allowing me to plan a route through it even when I was at the junction and it was clearly coned off.

A650 closed between M62 J27 and J26. Allowed me to route a journey along a matrix and radio notified closed road.

A421 closed at Milton Keynes (near Amazon)

Phantom slow traffic queues (the ever present ones on the A1 J25 to Hatfield for starters)

I WAS considering subscribing but I'm now wondering if I'd be better off spending £50 on the active dock with TMC. Any opinions on the relative merits/demerits of this approach?
andy1954
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had HD now for two months i would never go back to TMC.
Well worth the money in my book.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem HD Traffic has is road closures. Slow traffic, "perfect". But road closures need to be sorted.
aerotec
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed them about a closure on the M1 which was not notified through HD Traffic and they just said they would pass the report to Level 2 Support. Whatever that means!

I think the issue is that if the traffic is flowing off the motorway at the closure then the system doesn't realise there is a closure. Would TMC data show the closure? They need to tie in Highway Agency data to the HD traffic and possible set the algorithm so that if it stops sensing the voda data on a road section that is not matching the IQ traffic then it should alert someone to manually intervene by calling Sally Traffic and ask her what is going on!

I hope it will get better so have renewed for 12 months.

BTW I have a 12 month LIVE card for sale in the "For Sale" forum for £75 posted or £73 if the code is emailed if that is of interest to anyone.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
The only problem HD Traffic has is road closures. Slow traffic, "perfect". But road closures need to be sorted.

As problems go though, that would be quite a major one to overcome I feel Confused Very Happy

Diverting me around slow traffic straight onto a route that is closed but HD Traffic thinks is open (and being night time the surrounding area may not be suffering with slow traffic) seems a bit crazy to me.

Since all these deals were done with Vodafone to allow monitoring of VF SIM cards and the x40 units are monitored, you'd think someone at TT would have thought "hang on - let's see if TrafficEngland/Wales/Scotland will allow us to integrate their data". Or at worst give us a 24 hour number we could call / an ability within Traffic Info on the TomTom unit to report a road closure/re-opening to them in real time. They could then check a more reliable source and if confirmed stick it on the HD Traffic system. Not much use to the poor sod who first gets caught out, but at least others will know.

Whilst it seems now that TMC compared to HD is worse (!) & I'll have to subscribe to get any traffic reports, I feel that if they want to charge such a premium for it then it should at least do what it says on the tin.

The most accurate traffic information ever? Hmmmm....
aerotec
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I got diverted and my HD service did not warn me about it I would soon get bored of calling up to notify Tomtom. If they offered an incentive such as "first 10 to notify us gets a months service extension" then maybe. I have had my unit 3 months and have already got fed up loading up Map Corrections unless it is a road I will be back on and want my own map to reflect the change. Though I hear this is a waste of time as I have subscribed to the 24 month map update and each time you get a new map you lose all your map corrections?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HD traffic is not just the vodaphone data, that is an add on to the data that TT already gets from other sources. The HD traffic should be the GPRS TT Traffic plus the vodaphone, but sometimes the other suppliers traffic info seems to get messed up by TomTom, it is there but it needs an improvement in reliability.

The HD traffic also covers roads that the TMC and GPRS traffic does not.

On long trips I still use Traffic-TV on my mobile as a backup source of traffic data so I can verify detours on major roads. If I am still unsure I can use Traffic TV to look at the CCTV cameras on motorways to verify the situation.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: