Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looking for a way to edit properties of .BMP files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a way to edit properties of .BMP files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Looking for a way to edit properties of .BMP files Reply with quote

Hi,

I’m going to be creating a new custom POI list soon, which will eventually be released to the public domain. I’ve already created the .BMP file (for the onscreen icon) by using Microsoft Paint. However I would like to edit some of the following properties that can only be viewed by:

Microsoft Office Picture Manager:
Title:
Description:
Keywords:

Right-clicking on file in Windows Explorer
Title:
Subject:
Author:
Category:
Keywords:
Comments:

Once I release the custom POI list into the public domain, I won’t be able to tell or control (not that I want to) who uses or changes the POI list. But I would be interested to see where it does go and by editing one or more of the .BMP file’s above properties I might be able to see.

So, can anybody recommend a preferably free or inexpensive piece of software that can allow me to change the above properties of a .BMP file?

Alternatively, I think that I have a copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 in my old software cupboard. Without me having to look for it and install it, does anybody know if Paint Shop Pro 7 would allow me to change the above properties of a .BMP file?

BTW, yes I know that others could re-edit the same properties, but if they do they do. I'm sure most people wouldn't.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell, the bmp format only allows basic details about the image itself (dimensions, bit depth etc) unlike jpg etc.

You could always "watermark" it - eg change the colour of a corner pixel slightly etc so that no-one would notice.
Brodit ProClip mount
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a way to edit properties of .BMP files Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I think that I have a copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 in my old software cupboard. Without me having to look for it and install it, does anybody know if Paint Shop Pro 7 would allow me to change the above properties of a .BMP file? Regards,

Just tried my PSP 7(registered version) with a .bmp icon file and NO, it saved okay then when I opened it again the properties did not show any info apart from size etc.

Also tried Animation Shop, which will not let you save as .bmp file. So no look there.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another point. Over 20 of my poi's turned up on TT HOME. Took several months to get them removed. But some of the files are now there with different names and they have even changed the icons (I know it's my data as there are deliberate mistakes with place names being spelt wrong). You just cannot stop some people Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: