Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40 : TomTom Live - Will You Subscribe After Trial Expires?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40 : TomTom Live - Will You Subscribe After Trial Expires?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  

TomTom Live Subscription Trial
I will be continuing with a subscription after the trial expires
57%
 57%  [ 59 ]
I will not be continuing with a subscription after the trial expires
42%
 42%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 102

perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to resubscribe on a month by month basis and will see how it goes.

Interestingly (and maybe it tells me something about my confidence, or lack of, in HD) I came out of Heathrow airport heading West at about 1000 yesterday (Sunday) morning to be immediately warned of a 32 minute delay on the M4 at Reading. Being slightly suspicious of such a delay on a Sunday I refused the alternative route until I got to J8/9 when my trusty Trafficmaster warned me of a "severe delay, avoid" at J10 so at that point I accepted the alternative route onto the A4 and around the outskirts of Reading which in fact worked very well.

Once I feel I can give up my Trafficmaster subscription and rely only on HD "I will be there" but not quite yet.....
playswell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
doubledrat wrote:
the traffic data comes from mobile phones AFAIK

It comes from a variety of sources including public agencies, other x40's and the Vodafone network.

My work mobile phone is on BT (vitual network on vodafone) will that count as its vodafone in another guise?
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should do. It goes off of Vodafone sim cards whizzing about our roads, anonymously though.

iPhone 12
markeh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Go 940 Live Services Reply with quote

I am coming to the end of my three month trial and other than one or two lost connections which took around 20 minutes or so to sort out, I have found the live service excellent.
The Google search is particularly helpful and has enabled me to find hotels and businesses that were not listed in the POI's.
The traffic service (the reason I bought this model in the first place) is second to non and has routed me around a number of motorway closures. It appears to be updated ahead of the radio announcements and is already offering re-routing options when the gantry signs start to warn of problems ahead. The re routing updates automatically and on two recent trips put me back on the main route again as soon as the conditions changed and the road cleared. It is fair to say, I found this service more helpful on motorways than on minor routes where I ended up on another road but in a different part of the now ever expanding jam.
So, will I buy the package at £7.99 per month? If I don't, I have and expensive Sat Nav that does not do anything different from any other in the Tomtom range. If I do I will be paying for something that two months out of three I don't use. My answer then, is to wait, In the hope that Tomtom offer a more affordable package for a service that is denfinitly worth paying for.........but not £7.99 a month!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Go 940 Live Services Reply with quote

markeh wrote:
So, will I buy the package at £7.99 per month? If I don't, I have and expensive Sat Nav that does not do anything different from any other in the Tomtom range. If I do I will be paying for something that two months out of three I don't use.

Or just subscriber as and when you need it? It's non-contracted so an option to consider?
Robparker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I run a small chauffeur service where time is critical to our clients both for catching flights at airports and for making meetings in central London. We've now had our 740's for 3 months and have renewed our subscriptions.

Updates to traffic conditions ahead are much quicker now due to the link to Vodafone data and generally the delay times are very accurate. The database of IQ routes works well and many routes have obviously been compiled from data sent back from London black cabs. At peak times in central London I have been sent down streets which look like dead ends but which turn a corner and save you a 15 minute queue. Only a cabbie would know these routes!

The Google search feature is very useful for finding hotels and businesses too.

Overall we are very satisfied with the Live services and can see things improving over time.

I just wish that TomTom would prioritise re-mapping for major projects. For example T5 at Heathrow has been open for 12 months and the roads associated with it for much longer but still they are not mapped.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my Go 940 mostly for commuting around London and the HD Traffic has save me an hour of my time on quite a few occasions in the last few months. I have just renewed the Traffic subscription even though it is a bit pricey but having said that I was paying £30 a year for the old GPRS service plus about £5 a month in GPRS data charges so maybe it's not that dear after all.

So far I have found HDT pretty reliable but there have been a few exceptions and some roadworks on the A12 in London that showed the road closed for over a month while I happily used it every day!
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
nickperry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see a tier system. Gold, Silver, Bronze or whatever.

Gold = HD Traffic, Google, Fuel, Quickfix, Buddies.
Silver = HD Traffic, Google
Bronze = HD Traffic

Priced £7.99, 5.99, 4.99 accordingly. To maximise subscriptions I think they need to provide more choice.

I would find this a particularly attractive notion, toying, as I am, with the idea of not renewing, but there might be a cople of reasons why TomTom would be reluctant to offer this. And this, I admit, is conjecture:

I wonder what their base wholesale cost is for the data subscription? Initially it may be on a per-subscriber model, and numbers of users are currently small. They may not have a great deal with Vodafone and the bulk of the £8 may well be a fixed cost payable to the network provider.

The marginal costs of the different levels may well be too small to make a difference. This can be a benefit to TomTom as a typical subscriber paying £5.99 per month might take the view that another £24 a year is a small price to pay for the rarely used features and pay full whack anyway.But if a substantial number of customers don't think this way, then they still have to provide the 'gold' services to the minority who have them, but don't have the subscription incomes to pay for it.

That said, if the way this poll is going turns out to be an accuate reflection of reality, they may be forced to lower the prices or offer a significant inducement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:

Personally, I'd like to see a tier system. Gold, Silver, Bronze or whatever.

Gold = HD Traffic, Google, Fuel, Quickfix, Buddies.
Silver = HD Traffic, Google
Bronze = HD Traffic

Priced £7.99, 5.99, 4.99 accordingly. To maximise subscriptions I think they need to provide more choice.

Nice idea, but I would prefer the services to be priced individually.
Say for example:
HD Traffic £5.99
Google £2.99
Fuel £1.99

or £7.99 for the lot.

Quickfix and Buddies are free normally anyway, but I suppose Vodaphone will want something for the connection.
Gitster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just renewed mine via my device, i have 14 days to complete payment. For now i want to do it on a month by month basis, how do i choose this option?

I don't want to get caught up in that credit/debit card subsription thing, where they take the money automaticly, i just want the option to renew when i feel like it.

I really like the Live service, i agree as with most things nowdays it could be a little cheaper, but i like it all the same.

So can anybody tell me how to do the monthly renewals?

Thanks Steve Wink
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gitster wrote:
I don't want to get caught up in that credit/debit card subsription thing, where they take the money automaticly

That's the only payment option they offer I'm afraid... Rolling Eyes
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
Gitster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks Henry Wink
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just did a North-west to Norwich trip, and am quite happy with the whole HD traffic and services facilities. First, there wasn't much traffic to report, but when the signs came up warning of an accident not far ahead, it took only a minute before the traffic showed the accident and "13M". We chose to re-route in case it was going to block the motorway and that was also the time my 3yo daughter decided to fill her nappy, so we came off onto the A500, pulled up in a layby. After a few minutes, the HD traffic was showing a delay of only one minute, so we decided to go back to the motorway and indeed there was nothing significant - the delay was gone again by the time we got there.

But I think it explains the "15M" distance info, instead of time. The sign showed "accident between J15 and J13" (or something), and the whole motorway had a white line like the slow traffic lines but no dots. The info is therefore "something general is happening in this region, but not sure what".

There were a few small delays being shown on the other carriageway, accurately mapping the real world.

Apart from that, the fuel info was good - I knew that I didn't have to pay the 102p price for diesel, but that closer to my return were 98p pricings, and indeed I filled up at 98p.
algypan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for me thanks but I think Andy Ps idea of seperate charges would be more appealing to users that dont want the full package
Holdfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a 930 owner (who thought that he was going to be a user of HD Traffic). I would like to pose the question, Do you get the same road conditions, congestion/break downs etc on HD Traffic that you do on TomTom Route Planner. I frequently carry out checks on local road conditions by monitoring different systems, TomTom Route Planner always appears to fail to show long term road works that vary in speed and intensity. I have noticed in the past RTC's lasting 5 days, I know the emergency services can take some time to clear the scene, but thats pushing it.

My reason for asking the question is that I would upgrade to the x40 series if I thought the system was stable. I have had my fingers burnt when I upgraded to the 930. I am trying to work out whether to wait till the next unit to appear in the shops.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: