Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Prices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Prices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Map Prices Reply with quote

Hi,

Have the map prices recently gone up?

I was looking a month ago when I bought my TomTom unit and the map update service was something like £4.95 per quarter plus another £4.95 if you were not on the latest map - so it was saying £25 ish for the year.

Now it's saying it's £20.85 to upgrade to the latest map and £6.95 per quarter and the total is £48.65....

Also, i'm going to Florida in April and the map was showing for about £30 - now it's £39.95.

I would have considered the lower prices but now they are way too much.

What's going on?

Thanks

Ian
zaffy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you wonder why some are now using pirated maps, TomTom like a lot of EU companies, do not have loyalty to customers. They beleive in the principal that, if you sell less, put UP the price so you still recoup the same amount.
Someone needs to educate them into the UK way of doing things, such as bring down the prices and sell more. After all, where are their costs when we have to download the maps from a server.
By any chance does the word "TomTom" translate into "highway robbery" in some other language.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but the problem is once you've got a TomTom unit you can only go to them for maps so there is no competition and people will still buy from them as they need them....

Ian
hope68
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Map Prices Reply with quote

ichilton wrote:

Also, i'm going to Florida in April and the map was showing for about £30 - now it's £39.95.

A month ago, TT offered the maps on Sale (-30 % I think it was). That's why they were cheaper as they are now.

cu Peter
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me put another spin on things....

You Brits are complaining when the price for an upgrade and a year's updates works out to be about $80 Canadian or $50 American.

We in North America are NOT offered a subscription and the price for ONE update is $110 US. No updates in that price!!

'Methinks you doth protest too much'
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Let me put another spin on things....

You Brits are complaining when the price for an upgrade and a year's updates works out to be about $80 Canadian or $50 American.

We in North America are NOT offered a subscription and the price for ONE update is $110 US. No updates in that price!!

'Methinks you doth protest too much'

Fair point, but this just highlights how inconsistent TomTom are with pricing and promotions.

But to be homest it's normally us UK customers that are ripped off, its a well known fact that products from companies such as Adobe, Apple & Microsoft are a fraction of the price in the USA.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Map Prices Reply with quote

ichilton wrote:
I was looking a month ago when I bought my TomTom unit and the map update service was something like £4.95 per quarter plus another £4.95 if you were not on the latest map - so it was saying £25 ish for the year.

Now it's saying it's £20.85 to upgrade to the latest map and £6.95 per quarter and the total is £48.65....

I do not know where you got the £4.95 price from as when I subscribed to the map update service (UK map) last November it was £6.95 per quarter and I have never seen it cheaper in the time I have been looking at the prices and it is still the same.

The price of the upgrade to the latest map depends on how old your current map is. If it is less than a quarter old you will get 85% discount which means you would pay £6.95 (UK map) to make it up to date. The older your map gets, the smaller the discount, so if you wait before subscribing to the service, the cost of the update to the latest map goes up.

I would guess from the price quoted that your map is several quarters old now and you are being offered to upgrade to the latest map at 3 times £6.95. However if your unit is only a month old you should have the latest map under the latest map guarantee (8.15.2003 released in November 2008) and there should be no charge for upgrading to the latest map as you already have it. If you wait until the newer map is released, possibly in the next few days the update to latest map charge for a map under a quarter old is £6.95 (UK map).

The price for the Western Europe map update service is £9.95 per quarter.
ichilton
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I bought the unit 30 days ago on Tuesday but I heard there is a new map due any time now so I held off connecting it to the computer and registering/upgrading it until Friday night as I thought that the LMG would start from when I did that so I would actually have 30 days from then to do it...but someone was just saying in another thread that they wouldn't advise that as if something goes wrong TomTom will say it's out of the 30 days and refuse to give me a map so it looks like i'm going to have to upgrade to the November one before Tuesday..

Am I right in saying then that if you go to sign up for the latest map update at a later date, they will charge you £6.95 for each quarter your map is out of date, therefore you pay the same by signing up then as you would signing up now, but you haven't had the benefit of driving round with the new maps all that time?

(I was originally thinking I should wait a few quarters before subscribing to the update service to let my map get old, then get the updates as they are cheaper than updating the map in one go....but it looks like that doesn't work out any cheaper then..).

Thanks

Ian
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find the level of discounts given but on my (wifes) 530 I used the LMG and within the LMG 30 days the 815 maps were released and I could not use the LMG again for them, so I had to pay the extra £6.95 (called 85% discount) before I could subscribe to the map update service on a device less than 2 weeks old. Personally I think you should be allowed unlimited LMG during the first 30 days of use. It leaves a sour taste with TomTom even though it was only £7.

I was under the impression that the discounts tailed off to nothing if the map was over a year old and TomTom's quarters probably do not match anybody elses.

I subscribed to the update service for the 940 a few days before when I thought the maps would be released and I am still waiting.......
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Personally I think you should be allowed unlimited LMG during the first 30 days of use. It leaves a sour taste with TomTom even though it was only £7.

Why?

The purpose of LMG is so that, even if your device has been sitting on the shelf for a while, you don't lose out on the map version that's current on the date of purchase, and that's what you got. Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not?

If you buy something, update it to what you think is the latest version to only find out two weeks later that if you have waited that time you would have had a later version you are going to be very disappointed.

If TomTom bothered to make the information available as to when the maps would be updated people could make an informed choice about when they could download the maps.

It would do wonders for customer relations but then again TomTom probably are not that interested in that, they would rather disappoint you and make a little more money out of you.

"That's what you got" is hardly a customer friendly attitude but does sound very TomTom.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
If you buy something, update it to what you think is the latest version to only find out two weeks later that if you have waited that time you would have had a later version you are going to be very disappointed.

It isn't "what you think is the latest version" - it IS the latest version. When you buy the device you, quite reasonably, expect to have access to a map which is current on the date of purchase. However, it's always possible that a new map has been released between the date of manufacture and the purchase date.

TomTom give you 30 days to ascertain whether this is the case, and to download the latest map.

What's unfair about that?

I've often bought something, only to be disappointed to find that a new model is released shortly after, but that's life. I don't blame the manufacturer or the retailer.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: