Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera submission
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera submission

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Camera submission Reply with quote

Hi,
I wonder if someone could help I submitted a mobile camera position on 20/1/09 and have not heard anything about this since, I know we have to wait for it to be verified but could someone give me an update, thank you. Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't comment on individual cases simply because were we to do so we'd have little time for anything else.

Whilst fixed cams can be verified quite quickly, mobiles require verification for 'feasibility' AND a further independent report before you would qualify IF you were the first.

How long this can take is hard to guesstimate.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Darren, I only asked because when it is announced that someone has been given lifetime membership sometimes it is stated that some have been denied because people were not members at the time of submission but no ones name is given of those who are refused.

It might be more informative if all camera submitters were included and the reason for non acceptance was shown, just a thought.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Camera submission Reply with quote

Hi banjo12,

banjo12 wrote:
I wonder if someone could help I submitted a mobile camera position on 20/1/09 and have not heard anything about this since, I know we have to wait for it to be verified but could someone give me an update, thank you. Very Happy

This is a question that is asked a lot of the time, it's an important question as you've taken the time to note the details of a camera site that needs amending on the database and also submitted it for verification and updating of the database.

This is a general request to everybody who asks this question, and no I'm not singling you out.

Could you all do the following:

1. Read DennisN's excellent A Day in The Life of a PocketGPSWorld.com Verifier.

2. If you haven't already done so, then please fill in your location field in your profile, so we at least know the country and area you frequent.

3. Please let us know the location of the camera! The best way is to go to the submission page and click on the camera (if it already exists) and make a note of the camera id. Verifiers are able to search for camera sites using just the camera id.

If you let us know the country, area, town/village and camera id (or longitude and latitude) then MaFt (the Database Administrator) may let you know the latest or you may even get a verifier to reply by saying that that's their patch or that they'll be in that area soon and if they get a chance they'll have a look.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not a member when you submit a camera you are warned that the submission will not qualify towards a lifetime subscription. It's very clear. if you were a member and it is the first then it qualifies. Providing further detail is an over head we cannot justify.

Your submission has been recorded as pMobile:65477 and is now awaiting verification and a further sighting. Hope that helps?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjo12 wrote:
It might be more informative if all camera submitters were included and the reason for non acceptance was shown, just a thought.

that would involve compiling a list of well over 250 users, submissions and reasons every week... 1) would you really sit and read through each single one every week? 2) it would take up far too much time meaning that it would be struggle to get a weekly database released...

MaFt
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a very difficult balancing act for the pocket GPS team in providing a accurate data base and answering submitters queries .
Below is a copy of a post MaFt posted a while ago .

When you report a camera that is new or a change and if you are the first to do so when you view the camera data base map you will see one of the coloured boxes below if you do not see a box you were not the first person to report it.
when the new data base is released it will appear on the map as awaiting further submissions .

I think I am correct perhaps someone will confirm this as it could help to reassure people who have submitted sighting and wonder if they were the first

Hope my ramble makes sense

MaFt wrote:
- gatso
- redlight
- redspeed
- truvelo
- specs
- safe-t-cam
- monitron

think that's all of them!

MaFt
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that John but it does no cover mobile cameras !
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banjo12, assuming the location gets 'verified', it would still need 2 reported sightings from different users to become fully 'active' in the database and get you a free membership. The best way is to keep reporting everything you see!

iPhone 12
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 I have not seen the condition where 2 other members had to report a mobile sighting, from what I understood if the sighting was verified that was the end of the process, obviously not.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjo12 wrote:
falkirk81 I have not seen the condition where 2 other members had to report a mobile sighting, from what I understood if the sighting was verified that was the end of the process, obviously not.

It is only the mobiles that require further independent submissions AFAIUI. For static cameras it only requires a verifier to confirm the camera is present.
The reason is fairly obvious as may locations could be mobile sites but never are. When a verifier visits they only confirm if the site is suited to being a mobile site and not that it is one (unless they are really lucky and a mobile unit is there at the time). Without a second independent submission it would be possible for someone to submit a mobile location that didn't exist (not good for the database integrity) and to get the benefit of a lifetime sub too.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is stated on the submission page. Under the section 'FREE subscriptions' on the right hand side.

5. New reports of Mobile sites will also now qualify BUT because such sites are very difficult to verify, it should be noted that validation may take significantly longer than for other types of site. Note that the Free Subscription will only be added after both verification (once it goes 'active' in the database) AND further reports have been received.

iPhone 12
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my replies above stated the requirement for verification AND a further single independent sighting in the case of mobiles.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: