Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq 214 /Navigator 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq 214 /Navigator 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hudsen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 214 /Navigator 6 Reply with quote

I decided a couple of weeks ago to upgrade from a tired Acer N35 running Destinator PN to a new ipaq 214 (Mobile 6) with lots of memory for all sorts of stuff. A bit of reading suggested that a BC337 receiver and TTN6 would work together. Some retailers bundle these.
Having installed and got over the backlight issue, TTN now just follows ME around as I drive. The display is always between 50 and 150 yards behind my actual location. Voice commands come in after the turn is due, which fortunately up to now has not been a danger as I'm playing with it on routes I know well. The map does catch up if I slow below 20mph or stop. Moving from a junction really confuses TTN and it takes 100- 200yards to decide which way I have gone. The signal strength on the TTN screen consistently shows 80% - 100%

The map detail on the screen is stunning in its detail, but stays zoomed out to show about 2.5 miles of road on the screen, until I slow right down or stop, when the auto zoom cuts in.

I have done two hard resets, and tried different port combinations, all to no avail. A very slick looking satnav is in effect useless (and dangerous) as things stand.

I am aware from reading a few posts somewhere, that some people say they have got this combination working happily. Could anyone who has managed this, please help.

My BC337 uses Com1 (GPSinfo progamme confirms this), External GPS (in settings) is set to Com 7 for program port and Com 1 for hardware port. TTN in GPS configuration is set to Other NMEA device, 4800 baud, COM 1.

Oh and yes ... I kill all running programmes except TomTom, have turned off all POI's except speed cameras, deleted unecessary languages, and loaded the maps on a high speed SD card.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many POI' s do you have active? Try disabling ALL POIs and see what happens, then activate a group at a time. Too many active POIs will slow things down considerably.

You could consider disabling the PDA's GPS widget and simply connect to the hardware port directly from TomTom - I've had very hit and miss operation with TTN 5 & 6 using this 'feature'. If you aren't going to be using two GPS apps at the same time - there isn't really any point in using it.

Finally - have you installed the TTN application to the PDA memory - or are you running it from a card? I would run it from the PDA's memory and save the card for the mapping etc.
Hudsen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil

Thanks for your reply.
The only POI's I have active are speed cameras, but I have also driven around with all POI's disabled, and the voice instructions turned off. There is no difference in accuracy whether TTN is navigating a route, or just turned on with no route planned. In other words, I have tried to leave TTN with nothing to do but plot my position.

I presume the GPS widget you refer to is the "GPSinfo" scan/test software that comes with the BC337. I found that TTN would not pick up a signal (except once) with GPS info still running, so i routinely stop the programme. The only thing that is ever running is TTN.

TTN is installed to main memory.
Hudsen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem sorted - well bypassed anyway !

I popped into my local Maplins a couple of days ago.

The manager waved a bluetooth receiver at me and said that if it did not work or was unsuitable, I could bring it back for a refund. This was too good an offer to refuse. I had discounted a bluetooth receiver originally, because I didn't really want another thing to have to remember to charge. I like my gadgets, and have chargers everywhere.

Anyway, 2 minutes to get the ipaq to see the bluetooth, 30 seconds for TomTom to find it, and the GPS is now spot on. Reaction to direction changes is swift, map scrolling smooth, 100% signal virtually all the time, and it all looks lovely.

I still don't know what the problem was with the CF receiver, but that clearly was the problem, as all other parts of the set up are exactly the same. Perhaps the CF port is just too slow or maybe I just had the wrong port settings, although I did try a large numer of combinations and variations
semmyroundel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Ipaq 214 and Navigator 6 Reply with quote

Hi, I read your posting with interest Hudsen, perhaps you could tell me which bluetooth receiver you got from Maplin as I have just started on the same path with an Ipaq 214.
Philpugh: I also have a Colorado and was interested in perhaps buying the streetmaps for it but there doesn't seem to be a way of entering a postcode to search, or is that in the map software? Many thanks all, Semmy.
Hudsen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semmy

Sorry for delay in replying - have been away for a few days.

The GPS receiver is a Nikkai A09FN - cost about £39 came with mains and car chargers.
I was a little worried at first about buying a brand I'd not seen in other posts, but it really has been working brilliantly.

Although I don't have many POIs turned on normally, I no longer bother to kill any running programs on the ipaq, bucause TomTom just runs so smoothly anyway on this PDA.

Hudsen
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have just purchased an iPaq 214 and I am trying to install Nav 6. However, when I try and install the software I get an error message that says This device is not supported. And it refuses to load the software onto my iPAQ.

I know the PDA is not in the compatability list as supplied by Tomtom but I also know from reading that you can load TT6 onto it. How do I do this?

Howard

Problem solved Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: