Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unit on bike switching on at junctions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unit on bike switching on at junctions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Unit on bike switching on at junctions Reply with quote

Hi all

I am really impressed by the active 10 and had my first big bike on my bike yesterday.

One thing I found difficult (with big gloves on !) was switching the unit on as I approached road junctions so I could see which way to go without stopping.

Is there anyway I setting waypoints or POI so when you get near them the active 10 switches on automatiacally and then turns off based on the power control setting.

Many thanks for your time and regards

Mike
Rawhide-yoda
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too, I'm pleased with the Active 10 wich ariived this week. I went out for a first trip, two and half hour road bike ride yesterday and kept the unit switched on continuously with 70% screen brightness - didnt seem to use much power. Looked pretty cool as it started to get dark.

Mind you I was logging a trail rather than following a route - thats for next weekend.

If you have serious power conservation issues you could try e-mailing satmap direct, so they can answer with a soultion or add this to this to users wish list

Nick
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Unit on bike switching on at junctions Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:
Hi all

One thing I found difficult (with big gloves on !) was switching the unit on as I approached road junctions so I could see which way to go without stopping.

Is there anyway I setting waypoints or POI so when you get near them the active 10 switches on automatiacally and then turns off based on the power control setting.

Mike

Mike,

I should leave it switched on all the time ,with new batteries or a fully charged Li-Pol it should last a full day or more.I don't think there is a way to automatically switch it on.

Ian
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Unit on bike switching on at junctions Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:

No - there is no "proximity alert" as there is in certain Garmin units. I use my A10 almost exclusively for cycling. The unit is mounted on the handlebar, left of the stem. If I have the screen on "auto off after [30] seconds" (my usual preference) I simply use my left thumb to press the top left side button and the screen comes on with just that one press. It does require that my hand is on the 'bar top, next to the A10 but this isn't much of a problem. You will need to think ahead a bit if you're going at speed though, since it can take several seconds for the screen to re-paint fully, especially if the screen has been off for a while.
Soldado
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Unit on bike switching on at junctions Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:
...setting waypoints or POI so when you get near them the active 10 switches on automatiacally and then turns off based on the power control setting.

I think this is a good idea, sure it wouldn't be too difficult to write into new software so I think a suggestion to Satmap would be good? Something you can set up when planning a route, on the unit or route planner, so that at major junctions or changes of direction the screen would come on 100 metres before, I think most of the time there's just one track to follow anyway so don't always need it on? (I'm using mine for MTBing routes, might be different if using on roads?) ... I'm getting through some batteries at the moment so anything to save power would be welcome (power pack on order)

New user too, and very pleased so far Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: