Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hi, a simple newbie Q, and some info ...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi, a simple newbie Q, and some info ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soldado
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Hi, a simple newbie Q, and some info ... Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to all this GPS stuff so apologies if anything asked is simple/obvious/stupid Embarassed but I'm like a kid with a new toy and, well, there's something like 50 pages in the user manaual!

After a few weeks looking into these devices I finally decided to get the Active 10, first question is: how do I track a route, not one I've plotted, but simply a route I know and just want to track/log it - does it do this automatically from just switching it on or is there a 'start/stop' function somewhere or something I need to set up, will it automatically be saved when I turn it off too? ... Only got the unit yesterday, I've just done a short walk just up my road last night and it showed where I started and where I finished but no trail or data? Planning on doing a longer route today.

Glad to see this morning that there is a trial version of the route planner available with links to get going - I've used it already Very Happy but before buying the unit I asked a few questions to Satmap about using it in remote places abroad and the route planner so parts of the reply, from Richard, may be of interest to some: 'The Active 10 can indeed be used overseas. In fact, over the course of the next 4 months we are rolling out into the principle European markets, which means we will be able to supply highly detailed 1:25k and 1:50k topographical mapping for these areas. Outside of these areas, the unit can be used ordinarily, but we can offer a service to put digitised image of a paper map of the specific region onto the unit. That way, you’ll get your position dot on a real map image – which can be very helpful!' and 'on prolonged trips away (such as the Atlas Mountains) you might find AA batteries are not so easy to buy, or the rechargeable battery conveniently recharged by a mains power supply. For that event, we are developing a solar charger which will trickle charge a spare rechargeable battery' and '...our Route Planner (which will be released in the middle of next month) ... gives users access to an online facility containing full GB mapping at 1:25k and 1:50k, as well as aerial imagery for the whole world. This will be FOC to all our existing registered customers. Active 10 units purchased after the release of the Route Planner do not get free access to this site, so there will be a charged levied for that'.

If you are thinking of getting one of these maybe now is the time to buy and register it? Although, I have no idea what the charge may be, could be a small fee anyway?? Hope the release of the trial version of the route planner quietens some of the doubters, admit I did have a few worries about my purchase when some started suggesting the company was going to the wall??

Purchased my unit from Navanti.co.uk, next day free delivery, live stock, and after your first purchase they give you 5% discount - so but a map or accessory (cheapest place I could find for half GB), then buy the Active 10 which comes out at £246.99 Wink
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hi, a simple newbie Q, and some info ... Reply with quote

Welcome to the club!
Soldado wrote:
....... first question is: how do I track a route, not one I've plotted, but simply a route I know and just want to track/log it...
In Trip Log screen, press Reset, Reset All to clear all previous data, then press Start. When you've finished your walk, go to the Routes Menu page, scroll to "Convert Trail to Track", press Convert. After a moment or two, you will see "My Track [1]" appear in the list. This can be edited to change the name, etc., or "Activated" to show on the map screens so you can follow it.

Soldado wrote:
......... admit I did have a few worries about my purchase when some started suggesting the company was going to the wall??........
I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest Satmap are in financial difficulties and would caution against putting such sentiments in print, since this can sometimes lead to damaging speculation. The company has received criticism for not being as communicative as we might wish and for repeatedly raising false hopes about the timing of software updates, fixes and the famous Route Planner, but his has always been due to the inherent difficulties in getting this all running from scratch, and in my view doesn't indicate in any way that the company is unsound.

The comments from Richard Calthrop-Owen are very interesting - thanks for passing them on. Others will say, and I would agree, that it's a pity this kind of info isn't on their website, especially since the webpage still calls it a "Free" Route Planner!
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using the Trip Log page, the Start and Stop works well to clip the trail markings, the total distance and other data. When converting Trail to Track at the end of my journey I found that the hidden portion of my journey both before the Start and after te Stop was also in the gpx RAW file. The correctly trimmed version is in the "my track n.map" file that has to be exported using Satsync.
Soldado
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and tips guys, know what I'm doing now ... to a point anyway ... I'll have to print the full manual off sometime, at, ahem, work, find I go a bit boss-eyed trying to read manuals on a pc screen.

I'm not suggesting in any way that Satmap are in difficulties, or likewise seen anything official, so don't want to start that ball rolling, if anything they seem to be positively expanding, just a few unnecessary, probably due to frustration, comments I've seen posted.

Another question that can probably answered quickly: Very Happy

If I'm out somewhere, stop for an hour so decide to turn the unit off to save power, when I turn it on again will it continue with the same route/log etc or will I need to start again, or is there some way you can continue the route?

Thanks.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soldado wrote:
... If I'm out somewhere, stop for an hour so decide to turn the unit off to save power, when I turn it on again will it continue with the same route/log etc or will I need to start again, or is there some way you can continue the route?
If you change nothing i.e. don't hit the stop/start, it will just continue. If you've moved position while it's been off, you'll get a straight line on the dotted trail between where you were when you switched it off and where you are when you switch it on.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: