Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - x40 Radio / Speaker Interference
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

x40 Radio / Speaker Interference
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: x40 Radio / Speaker Interference Reply with quote

Any one else getting lots of interference from their x40? Seems to be linked to the HD Traffic modem as it's worse when the unit starts and is periodic after it gets the initial data.

Symptoms include PC speakers making that rhythmic / Morse Code like buzzing that i occasionally get when I'm about to receive a text on my mobile. Out in the car today the buzzing occurred every few minutes, sometimes for longish periods (30-45 seconds) sometimes just one or two buzzes.

If i move the 740 away from the speakers on my desk it alleviates it but moving it back makes it start soon enough. In the car i can't get away from it..... Going to be a nightmare on long distances....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does interfere with the PC speakers on the desk if its too close, in the car I have never had an issue with interference in the car even with the device sat right next to the car deck - are you using the Line Out from the 740 to the aux input on the car deck per chance? - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are you using the Line Out from the 740 to the aux input on the car deck per chance?

Not yet. Active Dock only arrived this morning so I'm still using the one that came with the unit. Also this stereo doesn't have an AUX input anyway...

The closest speaker on the desk is probably 25-30 inches away from the Home dock. If i move it to the front of the desk (35-40 inches away from speaker) the effect is reduced dramatically.

In the car the mount is in the centre bottom of the windscreen and the radio is about 12 inches below that....

Does it affect the speaker or the cabling?

Quote:
in the car I have never had an issue with interference in the car even with the device sat right next to the car deck

I did think no-one had mentioned the problem.... Have emailed TT... Crying or Very sad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My X20s have always interfered with the MW radio in the van. If I disconnect the mini USB end of the cable it stops.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x40's are basically mobile phones so you get all the interference problems you get with those (listen to just about any politician being interviewed on the radio for the "diddlydee diddlydee diddlydah" because they WON'T turn their phones off even for a moment!).

MY 940 makes the most incredible racket over my PC speakers, but the car radio must be better shielded as I can only hear it faintly if I wave the Go close to the aux input socket on the radio.

This whole issue is what "CE" marking was all about. They used to restrict the amount of interference a piece of equipment could radiate, but mobile phones etc. are DESIGNED to radiate, so they turned it round and insisted equipment must be able to *cope* with nearby interference. As we now know, things often don't cope very well!

The interference pickup is usually in a sensitive part of the circuitry, but it can also get in through cables, so see if your car radio speaker cables or aerial pass close under the dashboard to where you have the Go.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I can put up with the radio interference.

What hacks me off is my HTC Advantage disables my ignition - engine won't start unless I unplug the power cable from the HTC and it won't stop until I disconnect too! And really, really disconcerting is it sometimes disables my power steering until I disconnect it - now that's what I call interference!!

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey! Shocked That sounds scary.
Don't Citroen have anything to say about that? (It's a Berlingo isn't it)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aux ciggy socket that is powering the Ameo charger lead is most probably tagged to the ECU power circuit (added to the vehicle and non standard), move the power output feeding the Aux ciggy socket to a different fuse and I would expect this issue to be resolved - 5 mins with a screwdriver Cool - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww... My mobile sits on my desk and rarely does it produce any interference however the range of the interference from the 740 is incredible. Only getting 1-2 bars of signal for the unit so it seems the problem is it's boosting the power and causing the problem (thanks Mike Thumbs Up ) but on a 24 mile round trip i don't think it stopped interfering for more than a minute at the most...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
5 mins with a screwdriver Cool - Mike
Right, so that's four hours drive to Blackpool, five mins with your screwdriver, then four hours drive back home. Oh, and 40 quid's worth of diesel. I'll just unplug it and start the engine and when I need to stop the engine, I'll turn the key off, then unplug the device again!! But so kind of you to offer, you're a great pal, Mike. Thumbs Up

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Aww... My mobile sits on my desk and rarely does it produce any interference however the range of the interference from the 740 is incredible.

I don't normally have my mobile on the computer desk and the dock for the 940 is actually sitting on the flat bit of the monitor stand (i.e. about 1/2 inch from the monitor's built in speakers and 2 inches from the external PC speakers, so I assumed *that* was why it was so loud.

But having just done a super-scientific test (i.e. I found where I'd left my phone), I can agree.... the TT seems to produce a louder "biddly biddly" than my phone does at the same distance.

I would give the PC situation up as insoluble and concentrate on the car radio. Does it have any external audio cabling (apart from the speaker leads), such as a CD multchanger? Does it make more or less noise on radio or CD? If you wave the TT about, can you find any particularly bad or good spots?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to find out over the next few days...

We're out early in the morning and if i don't take it Linda will know somethings up and if i do she'll ask what the noise is..... She did warn me if i bought it i'd find fault within 24 hours...... Embarassed Crying or Very sad Twisted Evil
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take the SIM card out.... but that kind of defeats the object!

(Unless you are in REAL 'better-half trouble' and want to hide the problem... Wink )
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could take the SIM card out.... but that kind of defeats the object!

Unlike Mike, who has screwdrivers for hands, i have lump hammers. Besides the HD Traffic works really well round me. Got me from one place to another round the back way missing all the usually snarl-ups last night....

It'll just be added to the list of things that went wrong in 2009.... Wink
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as soon as she got in the car the biddy-biddy-biddy-biddy-biddy noise started and Linda said "What's that noise?". I think the look on my face told her she shouldn't have asked...... Laughing

Sitting here now with it charging in the cradle it has 2 out of 5 bars and says "Status: Connected". It's buzzing away in my speakers even though the closest one is about 30 inches away. I monitored the signal on the way home and it seems to happen with between 1 and 3 bars signal. 4 and 5 bars seems to stop the problem (but i couldn't watch that closely). However when the noise started a quick glance and i could see 1,2 or 3 bars....

TomTom have escalated it to 2nd line support....

No-one else has this sort of problem? At all? Even in the slightest? Just be my luck to get a duff unit..... Crying or Very sad

Apart from that it's GREAT!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: