Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SPECS3 Nears Approval - Average Speed Checks on Residential
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SPECS3 Nears Approval - Average Speed Checks on Residential

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: SPECS3 Nears Approval - Average Speed Checks on Residential Reply with quote

Speed Cameras, GPS, SatNavsSpeed Check Services latest product, SPECS3 looks closer to reality with news that it has been recommended for Home Office Type Approval. Transport for London is one of the groups championing SPECS3 with claims that it is essential for the successful policing of new 20mph zones.

SPECS3 builds on the technology of the existing SPECS system which utilises Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras. SPECS3 cameras act each as network 'nodes' which can communicate with a central station over public networks rather than the dedicated links required by SPECS. Because each camera operates as a node it can be linked to any other SPECS3 camera and so each camera can form a part of many other 'webs'.

SPECS3 can be configured to monitor multiple lanes and track vehicles which switch lanes between cameras, operate in forward AND rear facing modes with enforcement zones from 250m to 20km+ although it would appear that even SPECS3 nodes can only be used to enforce zones where the speed limit does not change.

It will be fully enforceable as soon as legal formalities and agreements are in place and the Home Office have signed the approval certificate.

A nother step too far, Orwellian big brother or a necessary evil to curb excess speed?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can see local councils lowering speeds of some 40mph roads that would otherwise be 'in the way' of a huge 30mph specs3 zone...

eejits...

MaFt
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: SPECS3 Nears Approval - Average Speed Checks on Resident Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
... with claims that it is essential for the successful policing of new 20mph zones.

I thought the point of 20mph zones was that they were self-enforcing - bumps, chicanes etc. If cameras are needed, won't there have to be loads of repeater signs? These zones are supposed to have minimal signs etc. Confused

Was north Nottingham the pilot?
Brodit ProClip mount
Sean16v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portsmouth was the first city to go 20mph and a waste of time that is, no one takes any notice, and police don't have the time to enforce it. Where I live we have double sided parking young children living in the road plus oap's the road isn't wide enough to go more than 15-20 mph safely yet we still have to put up with mindless drivers that have to prove they don't have to stick to the limit and see how fast they can get from one end of the road to the other with total disregards to people who have to cross the road. If you get a vote on whether you want a 20mph limit where you live say no, Portsmouth is littered with 20mph signs on every road.

Quote:
I thought the point of 20mph zones was that they were self-enforcing - bumps, chicanes etc

They will only look at putting bumps, chicanes if they find drivers continue to drive over the limit. To give you all an idea how stupid Portsmouth city traffic management is the road where I pick up my daughter from school is a 30mph limit outside the front gate yet just 300yards away they make it a 20mph?? I for one would like to see theses camera’s outside schools to enforce the limit but no where else.
MichaelMann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in my opinion these wil only be deployed to make money from 'criminals' who do 32 mph. If you want people to do 20 outside a school, which any normal person would anyway, put in a speed hump. Do anything more than 20 over one of those and you can wreck your suspension so nobady does. The downside of speed humps are two fold, emergency vehicles can't travel at speed and obviously they don't issue automatic £30 fines like cameras will.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I just use the vehicle speedo it only starts to move at 20MPH so keeping below the 20MPH limit is a tad difficult unless using GPS, I wonder how many other cars are like this? - Mike
Sean16v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest if more motorists used common sense there would be no need for speed camera at all, drivers these days just seem to want to get where there going to without judging the surrounding or give a thought about anyone else whether on foot, motor cycle or on a pushbike, in my road drivers who speed don’t stop to think that some of us are driving our cars out of a garage now I have to walkout in the middle of the road just to make sure its ok for my wife to drive out as one moment it safe then because someone wants to drive well in excess of the 20mph limit its not. It does seem to me that motorist of today are risk takers and it’s the risk takers that will encourage companies to make money from them e.g speed cameras there’s a time and a place for speeding, no one a saint but around town is a no no in my book.
MickyFinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me its like closing the gate after the horse has bolted - it won't slow cars down just make the government more money from those that break these new limits.

Perhaps a better method would be a rising post or traffic light that makes you wait for 2 minutes if you exceeded the limit in the zone.

What use is a letter through the post a week later - you can't even remember where you were when you were fined!

Micky Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you'll be forced to learn eventually or risk losing your licence. With the spread of these that could prove a very real possibility and very quickly.

Given the number of motorists I see speeding through M-Way SPECS it is clear that a lot of drivers still don't understand what they are!
DJ_Chalky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Given the number of motorists I see speeding through M-Way SPECS it is clear that a lot of drivers still don't understand what they are!

I completely agree with you Darren, along with the number of people who still slow down when they see the actual cameras and then speed up afterwards. Don't people realise that it doesn't work like that?

The one positive I see in this is that they are forward AND rear facing because it annoys me that only Car/Van and Lorry drivers are penalised when Motorcyclists get off scott free and they get to dangerously weave around traffic on the M1/M18 through the SPECS zones. They are just as dangerous (if not more dangerous in my opinion) than 4-wheeled drivers.
ikhlaq786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another stupid way to persecute the motorist. Sad
Sean16v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another stupid way to persecute the motorist

You may think that but I for one like the 20mph around the town as not only am I a motorist but also a cyclist and have a car go past you at 20mph feels allot safer than someone doing more in a side road. Its safer when trying to cross the road, less damage to your car at 20mph than 30mph when you get hit as most accidents are in town you never no insurance premiums could go down (joke). Please note not all roads in the towns will be 20mph main routes will still be 30mph
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean16v wrote:
To be honest if more motorists used common sense there would be no need for speed camera at all, drivers these days just seem to want to get where there going to without judging the surrounding or give a thought about anyone else whether on foot, motor cycle or on a pushbike

This one gets my vote. If I killed a child going to my local school (100 yards away), how could I continue to live here? Or somebody's husband or mother? I have previously offered my "tip" for avoiding speeding - change down a gear - or TWO, so that the vehicle coasts along at the correct speed, not shudders above it.

Wide area specs will only catch the maniac drivers - bear in mind that driving in a town, all those things like other drivers, traffic lights, junctions and a miriad other interruptions will make it VERY difficult to exceed any AVERAGE speed limit. What do they say is the average speed achieved by motorists in London? I've been overtaken by so many joggers on the Embankment it's no longer funny. Those specs in Nottingham didn't frighten me, I just changed down a gear and gave them the hand signal.

And what are the maniac drivers doing? They're speeding to get there five minutes earlier, chancing their and others' lives deliberately, concentrating so hard on making up a few seconds, a few car lengths, at every opportunity, that all thoughts of safety go out the window. How many times have you been overtaken by a maniac, then followed his rear bumper for the rest of your journey? Even though they do the journey regular as clockwork, they never think to set off five minutes earlier, do they? I'll be happy with wide area specs and hope they catch a few more maniacs.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
andrewdwork
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for the lifetime subscription everyone. It is appreciated.

The technology exists to limit most modern cars engine speed.
My Renault Laguna 3 has a speed limiter button (which gets a lot of use after two camera incidents a couple of years ago) and it does just that. Many cars have cruise control and they work in the same manner, by adjusting the power from the engine to a pre-set speed (set by the driver).
There are number plate recognition cameras everywhere, and radio comms for every purpose.
Why not invest in a piece of gadgetry that tells a car that it must do no more than 20MPH in an area, or 30 or 40 or whatever?
The installation cost on the average car would be minimal compared to the cost of the toys now fitted as standard on most makes.
Certainly the cost of installing a local transmitter would be less than a SPECS camaera every 200 mtrs!
The technology already exists, and would prevent speeding full stop! No excuses needed, no-one could exceed the limit.
For those who say this is unsafe, as sometimes you need to get out of the way in a hurry to avoid an accident, a kick-down type switch could override the setting temporarially.
It is a bit like the idea of putting car tax on the fuel price - where everyone would have to pay to use the roads, and in proportion to their useage, it would make life far too simple.
Or maybe it would mean no lovely fine money, or am I being cynnical?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just such a system was mentioned in a news item back in December here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: