Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Missing" Alerts from PGPSW Garmin Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Missing" Alerts from PGPSW Garmin Database
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: "Missing" Alerts from PGPSW Garmin Database Reply with quote

Recently there have been a few threads regarding some cameras not giving
alerts when using the PGPSW database on Garmin Nuvi units.

After some testing it appears the default behaviour is as follows:

If you are under the speed limit then there is NO Proximity Alert and NO Overspeed Alert of any kind.

If you are over the speed limit on approach to the site an initial Proximity Alert is made (Low 'Bong, Bong' Sound and grey alert banner "xx mph Speed Alert Ahead"). Once inside the Proximity Alert, if you remain over the speed limit then the OverSpeed Alert is made (Higher 'Bong, Bong' and red alert banner "xx mph Speed Alert Ahead"). Dropping below the speed limit after the Proximity Alert and before the site results the in the Overspeed Alerts stopping.

This has been tested in the real world and on simulated runs with a Garmin Nuvi 760T on a road with many Gatsos, Monitrons and Mobile sites.

Resolution:

Convert the database to GPX format and make sure you have a database for
Approach Alerts and Overspeed Alerts

You can either use CBROMs GPX Convertor (http://cbrom.myby.co.uk) or Ash10's Camera Manager (http://www.zen19255.zen.co.uk/cm_help/).

With CBROMs GPX Convertor make sure you select 'Alert Type' from the main menu at the top and make sure 'Always Shown' is ticked otherwise you will not get the Approach Alert. This can be used with any Garmin compatible CSV file from PGPSW (UK, EUR, USA etc)

Ash10's Camera Manager has a few extras functions including the facility
download the database for you although it currently only supports the UK database.

Another advantage of this method is that the alerts will state 'GATSO:12345@50' which is useful for reporting any changes to the database.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The GPX files will not only double up the number of entries being loaded but the individual file sizes are huge compared to the original database! When uploading with POILoader it is common for it to take a few minutes to complete. It may even report it is "Not Responding". Leave it until it completes.

MaFt

Thanks to PaulB2005 for endless hours of testing and troubleshooting and to everyone who reported their issues and helped us eventually find the cause!
mike170469
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Garmin Speed Cams Reply with quote

Hi just logg on to get the latest Speed Cam update and seen this.

I have been using your speed cams for a long time with the voice warning and I think there the best thing since slice bread.

I don't have any problems with them on my Nuiv or other Nuiv's I have had
if you are less the 5mph below the speed limit then the icon will appear but know sound.

I get this a lot Driving my wagon as it can be slow off from lights or roundabouts and if there is a speed cam just after my nuvi dose not tell me as I'm going to slow but if I pass the same camera when empty therefore faster it tell me

Hope this helps
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi mike,

the recent forum posters have been 'concerned' that there was an error with the database which meant they were missing warnings. yes, it does make sense that there is no warning if you are not fast enough but it seemed to be un-nerving people that they were 'missing' the warnings.

it was more of a "if you're not happy with the standard garmin way of alerts then try this instead"

MaFt
mike170469
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
hi mike,

it was more of a "if you're not happy with the standard garmin way of alerts then try this instead"

MaFt

I've always been very Happy with the way Garmin do things. Very Happy

I've always been very Happy with the way PGPSW do things. Very Happy

like the way as soon as someone finds a fault there onto it with a fix that not everyone has to have. Idea

so if you where Happy ok
if you where not happy Crying or Very sad here is what you need to do

keep up the good work
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Missing" Alerts from PGPSW Garmin Database Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
After some testing it appears the default behaviour is as follows:

If you are under the speed limit then there is NO Proximity Alert and NO Overspeed Alert of any kind.

If you are over the speed limit on approach to the site an initial Proximity Alert is made (Low 'Bong, Bong' Sound and grey alert banner "xx mph Speed Alert Ahead"). Once inside the Proximity Alert, if you remain over the speed limit then the OverSpeed Alert is made (Higher 'Bong, Bong' and red alert banner "xx mph Speed Alert Ahead"). Dropping below the speed limit after the Proximity Alert and before the site results the in the Overspeed Alerts stopping.

Just to clarify what MaFt said above, this is standard Garmin behaviour (and has been since time-immemorial) and NOT a problem with the PGPSW speed camera database...
eyeQue
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Unit [Oregon] gives a visual and audible proximity warning when under the speed limit!

It gives both additional Audible and Visual overspeed warnings.

I'm using 'zoned' database.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the i3 would only give you an alert and icon if over the limit. Under the limit no alert AND NO ICON.
HDRW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are under the speed limit at the "outer marker" when the Proximity warning would have been given, but accelerate over the limit before reaching the camera, will the Overspeed warning be given? I'd hope so, but I thought I should ask anyway! :-)

Cheers,
Howard
roadrash-uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you are under the speed limit at the "outer marker" when the Proximity warning would have been given, but accelerate over the limit before reaching the camera, will the Overspeed warning be given? I'd hope so, but I thought I should ask anyway!

I'd like to know the answer to this too?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the timings you set then it might. It you have set a long enough alert time you should get a warning. If you quickly accelerate 3 foot before the capture area for a GATSO i wouldn't bank on it....
nchadwick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with the standard Garmin alert method, but regarding the database I've never been sure why some redlight cameras are listed with a speed designation and some are not (in the csv file some have @30 after them and some don't). This seems to mean that if you approach a red light at 20 mph you wouldn't be alerted if it was one of the sites with the speed added. It's easy enough to write a macro in excel to remove or lower the speeds but I wondered why there was this difference between different redlight camera entries.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nchadwick wrote:
II've never been sure why some redlight cameras are listed with a speed designation and some are not (in the csv file some have @30 after them and some don't).
It's purely historical. When we started, Redlight cameras had one function, to take a pic if you went through the lights on Red. Then RedSpeed type cameras appeared, so we started to record the speed. Most of us record the speed, even if the physical camera is Redlight only, so that if it gets changed to RedSpeed, the warning already exists. This has resulted in the mixture.
If you have any cameras close to you that don't have a speed recorded, please feel free to update them!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
nchadwick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, thanks. Because of the way the Garmin alerts it means you miss the redlight alert unless you are close to the speed limit. I've always used Garmin but I'm guessing other PNDs don't alert this way, if they all did it would make sense to split the speed and redlight functions of a RedSpeed into 2 entries, but obviously not if only one make of PND has this behaviour. Oddly i3 and Nuvi seem to behave slightly differently in this respect.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nchadwick wrote:
I've always used Garmin but I'm guessing other PNDs don't alert this way

TomToms (the other big brand) just alert when you are a set number of yards away based on the category. The database is split into separate files based on speed limit instead of 'reading' it from the camera name. Therefore redspeed cameras will alert at the same distance as other fixed location cameras and redlight ones at the distance you set for them.

You get alerted regardless of the speed you are doing.
Brodit ProClip mount
adrianmol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Great Post fixes missing alerts & too many alerts on Nuv Reply with quote

Hi Very Happy ,

I've been using PocketGPSWorld speed cameras on my Nuvi 360 since 2007. I have used Ash10's excellent GPX converter for 3 years to get voice alerts on my Nuvi but it does not work with Windows 7 on my PC. So I switched back to using the standard POI loader. This results in 4 alerts per camera and sometimes no alert if under the speed limit, irrespective of my manual settings. On the A14 from Huntingdon to Cambridge I can get up to 40 alerts from the 10 Mobile and Specs camera sites which is not much fun.

I have just tried CBROM's GPX converter and it works well as an alternative to ASH10's. I use the Graham voices.

I also have a TomTom Go730, all I need do is download the PocketGPSWorld file and it works with plenty of voice options and no messing around, just load and use. I know Garmin have their own speed cameras but when I tried it my Nuvi missed 4 out of the 7 cameras I passed I prefer to use the PocketGPSWorld database even if I have to mess around to load it to my Nuvi.

Adrianmol

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: