Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Purchase of HD Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchase of HD Traffic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Purchase of HD Traffic Reply with quote

I used TT Home to buy HD traffic this morning. It took my money, and sent me an email to confirm. Since then, HD traffic hasn't worked, and if I go to check status on the TT web site, it takes me back to Home where it puts HD traffic in my cart to pay for again. The device itself (740) says I have to connect to Home when I try to show traffic.

What is the expected sales process? The email said I'd get another containing all the necessary instructions, but apart from an invoice, nothing has arrived.

Clues as to the normal process welcome, so I can work out where I've fallen by the wayside of it. Thanks!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You go into Home and order the HD Traffic Service and you immediately get charged for one month of service and this is added on to the end of your 3 month trial. Around the end of the first paid month you should automatically be charged for another month.

I assume you had your device connected to Home and you were logged into Home at the time?

Also on your device, you should also be able to log in from it. On your device (when not connected to Home) go into 3rd menu page, TT Services (where you should see your username at the bottom right), next page, My Services and you should see how long you have until the end of your first paid month.

If you do not see your username at the bottom right of the TomTom Services page or see "anonymous" you have not set your account up properly on the device.

Also Home does not stop offering you the service even when you have subscribed.

It does take a few minutes from when you order in Home to actually having the service enabled. The sign that it is enabled in usually the emailed invoice, not just the first email confirming the order. They do not activate the service until the debit has gone through on the payment card, shortly after you have completed on line.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I assume you had your device connected to Home and you were logged into Home at the time?

Also on your device, you should also be able to log in from it. On your device (when not connected to Home) go into 3rd menu page, TT Services (where you should see your username at the bottom right), next page, My Services and you should see how long you have until the end of your first paid month.

Thanks - it was connected (docked) and active. On the My Services page I get a message "Information about your subscription is not currently available. Please try again later."

Quote:
It does take a few minutes from when you order in Home to actually having the service enabled. The sign that it is enabled in usually the emailed invoice, not just the first email confirming the order. They do not activate the service until the debit has gone through on the payment card, shortly after you have completed on line.

Okay, the few minutes and the invoice are a great help - I got that within a few minutes, but it is now hours later and not working. But even things like the weather tell me to connect it to Home. Presumably there is something that it expects Home to download and install.

I'll see how it is in the morning, and then start hassling. I have a support request logged on their web site. Good job I decided to sign up early and before my trip this weekend...
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the phone signal strength like?

- In the Bottom Right hand corner of the main map screen, tap onto the Signal Strength Indicator screen. You will see the version number
- Tap onto the version number, you will see the version screen, and at the bottom of the screen tap onto the 'Network' button.
- You should see your network status here

Should be connected and each of the fields shown filled with some data.

Other option is do a soft reset holding the power button until you hear the drums. My services disappeared this morning and that cured it
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone signal is fine and able to connect to the servers.

I got a response to my request for support, which basically says "reset back to factory defaults and wait for the trial to expire". Which might be okay for some, but I will be travelling then so I want to know that it is working, which is why I paid money. I've asked to have the service I paid for activated...
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect you will have done this but just in case you have not or your settings have been lost:

The unit must NOT be connected to the PC or Home when doing this.

Go into:
Menu
"Change Preferences" then "next" 6 times to go to Page 7 of 8
Select "My TomTom Account"

You will be asked if you already have an account
Select YES (as you have)
if your account email address is not entered here, enter it
enter your password
It should say "Connecting to Server" shortly followed by "Your username and password forTomTom PLUS are accepted."
Select "CONTINUE"
Select "Done"

This should enable you to connect to the Live Services unless there is an account issue.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've checked the status, and it comes up with a message that "This content was bought for another device and cannot be used on this device. To use it on this device, go to the www.tomtom.com site and visit the TomTom Services page".

I also had this back from support:

Quote:
Our system has been set up to ensure that customers receive their full trial service so it is not possible to tamper with this. This means that you will need to continue to use the free service until it expires on 13-02-2009 and then your device will automatically switch over to the paid subscription.

I fear that this is being optimistic given the trial is not working at the moment!
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to leave username to anonymous. i had to reset to factory settings to get it back to anonymous. i read somewhere that you cannot use your account during the trial period.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a4ace wrote:
you have to leave username to anonymous. i had to reset to factory settings to get it back to anonymous. i read somewhere that you cannot use your account during the trial period.

I probably wrote that (as well as others). But I've now paid for it. Forget the trial, I just want it working on my account. Why should that be hard?

I think that the problem is that I had a 910, and the server still thinks that some services are relevant, and the 740 server system isn't designed to handle the conflict properly. I had hoped they would sort it by now though, but wasn't optimistic given history which is why I am going through the pain now to before I travel!

I suspect the key is to get it to second line support beyond the "it doesn't work that way" I'm getting at the moment.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:

I think that the problem is that I had a 910, and the server still thinks that some services are relevant,

If you've used the same email address/TT account for them both then this is bound to be your problem.
TT have never been able to get that sorted properly.
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid during my trial and there was no problem - It just extended the subscription. I wasn't using the anonymous email for the trial though, just a new tomtom account I had set for this particular device
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
I paid during my trial and there was no problem - It just extended the subscription. I wasn't using the anonymous email for the trial though, just a new tomtom account I had set for this particular device

This is particularly frustrating as the final response I've got is:

"I have removed the Traffic service for your GO 910 from your account so this should no longer be offered to you. However as stated in my previous email, I can not assist you with using your subscription before the LIVE services trial has finished."

Tomorrow I'll have another go, but if anyone has usable evidence (as opposed to me just saying I've heard people can do it) then I'd appreciate it.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above it seems that you must have a new account for the x40 range as TT seem to be able to cope with either another device or even an expired other device on the account.

You will need to get TomTom to move the devices to different accounts.
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:

so you are using your new tomtom account on your x40 and it connects to live services? for me even with a new account it didn't work.

matthewj wrote:
I probably wrote that (as well as others). But I've now paid for it. Forget the trial, I just want it working on my account. Why should that be hard?

I think that the problem is that I had a 910, and the server still thinks that some services are relevant, and the 740 server system isn't designed to handle the conflict properly. I had hoped they would sort it by now though, but wasn't optimistic given history which is why I am going through the pain now to before I travel!

I suspect the key is to get it to second line support beyond the "it doesn't work that way" I'm getting at the moment.

totally agree with you. i was'nt happy having to reset.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise for me, I have the trial working on a brand new account and I have extended it with the subscription.

There must be some error on the TT account servers that is giving people this problem and I believe that everyones service should operate as mine does with full log on.

TT saying everyone should use an anonymous trial just sounds like they have another error that is giving all anonymous users access to the trial. That makes me wonder if they can stop the anonymous access for anyone without stopping it for everyone meaning that the trial could go on until they resolve the issue.

It will be interesting to see what happens as the first wave of people will in the next day or so be running out of trial.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: