Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap and Linux
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap and Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sobbomapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Satmap and Linux Reply with quote

Hi Folks -

Anyone using the Active 10 with a Linux based computer?

I'd like to use the USB connection to access the internal memory to down/up load files to the desktop.

I usually transfer files using the SD card and then convert them, but sometimes I'm not using a computer that has a card reader.

After connecting the Active 10 USB cable to a Linux box (running Ubuntu 8.04) the SD card file icon does not show up on the Desktop, although the system seems to know that a device has been connected. Other devices, e.g., digital cameras with the same SD card do show up and allow drag and drop file transfer.

Any ideas?
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the classic problem with Linux - support. It would do no harm to Nag Satmap for a Linux version of Satsync. I presume you've tried using WINE to run Satsync?
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap and Linux Reply with quote

sobbomapper wrote:
Hi Folks -

Anyone using the Active 10 with a Linux based computer?

I'd like to use the USB connection to access the internal memory to down/up load files to the desktop.

I usually transfer files using the SD card and then convert them, but sometimes I'm not using a computer that has a card reader.

After connecting the Active 10 USB cable to a Linux box (running Ubuntu 8.04) the SD card file icon does not show up on the Desktop, although the system seems to know that a device has been connected. Other devices, e.g., digital cameras with the same SD card do show up and allow drag and drop file transfer.

Any ideas?

It's not just Linux. Windows can't see the files on the Active 10 either, just like Linux it knows a device is connected but can't communicate with it. Only way is using satsync.

Dave
SatMap Active 10 - 1:50K maps
Garmin Vista HCx - Topo GB II, City Navigator Europe.
HTC Artemis - Memory Map, Tomtom 6
TomTom 520 - 8.320 firmware 815 maps.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And no Mac version either. Can only get SatSync to sun via Parallels under XP, no dice via the Vista image.
sobbomapper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks -

I mailed SatMap, and they replied that the Mac was the priority, and maybe will work on Linux later. I reminded them that the Linux Driver Project offers free device driver development, so maybe they'll take advantage of that.

I did try installing SatSync on the latest version of WINE on Ubuntu. It installed OK, and will run, but it does not detect the Active 10 because WINE still does not support USB. Next I tried VirtualBox and installed an old copy of Win 98, which does support USB, but SatSync needs a later version of Windows.

I have a simple conversion script that will convert .map files to .csv files that will load on GPS Visualiser, so once I copy the files off the SD card onto the Linux box, I'm OK. Need to work on .gpx to .map to get routes onto the Active 10 though ...
sijeffrey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Active 10 on linux Reply with quote

Hi,

Just got one of these units for Christmas. Did anyone get any luck getting SatSync working on a linux machine?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: