Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Update Adds ecoRoute™
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Update Adds ecoRoute™
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Garmin Update Adds ecoRoute™ Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comAs part of the recent firmware updates for nuvi 2x5 and 7x5 devices Garmin added their new ecoRoute™ feature.

ecoRoute™ is a neat little plug-in that allows you to configure the fuel price and average fuel consumption of your car and then find more fuel efficient routes, track your fuel usage and also monitor and improve your driving style to become more fuel efficient.

ecoRoute™ adds a 'Less Fuel' routing preference option and 'Mileage Monitor' provides a per-trip report of mileage and fuel usage, now you can see just how much those short trips into town and the school run are actually costing you.

The 'Driving Challenge' adds a live score to the map screen. The score (out of 100) rises and falls as you accelerate/decelerate, the higher the number, the smoother and more fuel efficient your driving style. You can even save your scores and see if you can better them!
Jellyroll
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This strikes me as a splendid set of ideas. It's long been a source of irritation to me that navigation systems tend to offer "quickest" and "shortest", but not a true (and customisable) "optimum". Where a journey can be shortened by 10% for a 5% increase in journey time, say, that's not a bad trade-off, but the resulting route is neither quickest nor shortest. I face this much of the time on journeys between North West and South East, with the A1/M62 route being markedly shorter than the M1/M6 route, but a touch slower (in theory - in practice it depends on who's broken down in which roadworks), so it never gets chosen first time around, even though it's usually the preferable route for me.

Routes can be imagined to lie on a triangle, with "quickest" at one apex, "shortest" at a second, and "cheapest" at the third ("cheapest" represented by cruising at the most fuel-efficient speed for the vehicle on roads with least acceleration & deceleration), and I suspect that any one person's ideal route might be at a different point on the triangle depending on the purpose of the journey, and two people's ideal points might be radically different depending on their vehicle and their attitude.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like the 'Driving Challenge' game, already I find myself trying t better my last score with smoother acceleration and planning farther ahead to anticipate braking etc!
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've always thought is weird about driving economically, is that it doesn't seem to matter how hard you accellerate as long as you NEVER accellerate in a way which will cause you to have to brake soon afterwards. Accellerating doesn't really waste energy as long as you can maintain that speed for a long time. All braking wastes energy, but obviously cannot be avoided all of the time! Smile

The theory behind is this that braking wastes all your energy, so even if you accellerate quite quickly, as long as you don't then immediately brake, that energy is not wasted. Combine this with the fact that most engines are the most efficient at close to full throttle, it seems you're better off accellerating briskly when the road is clear in order to reach the optimal cruising speed (usually around 55mph) more quickly.

My cars manual even tells you to do this in the section on driving economically which surprised me greatly as I'd always been told that accellerating briskly was bad for fuel economy.

Another trick is to try to avoid coming to a full stop whereever possible. Coasting onto a roundabout at as little as 2mph saves loads of fuel over starting from a complete standstill apparently.

The biggest savings to be had, are from limiting your cruising speed on motorways. The difference in ecomomy between cruising at 65mph and 75mph is apparently about 15%! I've certainly noticed this in my car and I can get an extra 8-10mpg if I stick to the slow lane on my regular cruises up the M3.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I'd always thought that gentle acceleration was more fuel efficient too!

Although now you mention it I can see the logic in getting to speed quickly.
bberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Update Adds ecoRoute™ Reply with quote

Will they be adding more devices later, I have nuvi 760?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Update Adds ecoRoute™ Reply with quote

bberry wrote:

I don't have any information on whether they will roll this out to more devices but I'll ask Smile
bberry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Update Adds ecoRoute™ Reply with quote

Thanks
concretemike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Garmin Ecoroute Mileage logger Reply with quote

Hidden away in the recent Garmin update is a mileage logger, that actually records all your journeys, the start and end points, mileage, fuel used and more. That alone is worth the whole Garmin unit, if, like me you cant remember to fill mileage logs in!

Of course, you do have to have the Garmin on!
frankiex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excuse me for being ignorant but what are the series 2x5 and 7x5.

I looked on Garmin website products and I couldn't see them anywhere.

Frank
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankiex wrote:
excuse me for being ignorant but what are the series 2x5 and 7x5.

I looked on Garmin website products and I couldn't see them anywhere.

Frank

The 'x' is used to indicate it is a range of models e.g. for the 7x5 it would be 755, 765 etc
frankiex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I wonder if it will become available for the nuvi 310.

Frank
Nonny
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Update Adds ecoRoute™ Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
bberry wrote:

I don't have any information on whether they will roll this out to more devices but I'll ask Smile

Could you ask about a Nuvi 670 too please?

Thanks, N.
JohnWB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 255WT with the latest updates (I think) and I have not seen this ecoRoute or the mileage logger. Could someone please let me know where abouts do i have to look to find them.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried WebUpdater?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: