Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Oh Sygic...... what have you done!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh Sygic...... what have you done!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graemesimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Oh Sygic...... what have you done!!! Reply with quote

Well after my early opinions about how good I thought Sygic Drive (McGuider) was, I am forced to change my opinion slightly.

I still maintain the software is superb and seems to be leaps ahead of some of the others.

However, and here the tail of woe begins. There is an issue with the Symbian version whereby with a custom poi, when the application hits one of these custom poi's en-route, it crashes and closes down with an "Unexpected Error".

I contacted Sygic some 5 weeks ago about this, and have maintained dialogue with one of their techies. After not hearing a response to numerous mails, I finally got a message apologising for lack of response, but there "Support Team" was in a total mess and have'nt been working. (Alarm bell 1)

They acknowledged the bug and said a fix would be out within a day or so, after a week of checking the registerd owners download area....still nothing.... (Alarm Bell 2).

Finally a response from them (again) after 2 weeks, and the update still not there, it was short and to the point...... "This is not our problem, contact Teleatlas where you bought the software".... end of conversation.

Finally managed to get through to Teleatlas tech support, who knew nothing of this fault (or so they said), so I said I would give them a couple of days to get hold of Sygic and sort out, by the end of the week if there is no response, I want a full refund on the product, as under our consumer law, its not fit for purpose.

Teleatlas more or less told me to "go forth and multiply" and you wont get a refund, just put up with it, till a fix comes out.

So I am now really really disappointed in both Teleatlas and Sygic, its a real shame as they had some real potential there.

So hopefully this might give some insight into how these two companies think of us their customers.

Evil or Very Mad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved this to the new McGuider forum. For my own benefit is Sygic/McGuider the same application or is McGuider an off shoot from a common starting point?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i understand mcguider was 'based' on sygic drive?

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGuider 2008 Installation leaflet - Sygic and Tele Atlas logos. Inside the box it says "Thank you for choosing Tele Atlas navigation data."

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so Sygic make McGuider but where does Sygic Drive fit in? Is it the same product but sold directly by Sygic, a spin-off or a wholly separate solution with shared DNA?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guessing from Google search that Sygic Drive is Laptop navigation software and guessing McGuider is the symbian product.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic did used to market PDA and Smart Phone applications I am not too sure they still do, the Sygic application suffered from poor routing read This, I am quite happy with the McGuider routing even if the application looks and feels the same.
There is obviously a connection between the two, but McGuider is a PDA application I am happy to use and it doesn't produce poor routes - Mike
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive is a multiple platform OEM product which is sold by a number of different vendors under different names. TeleAtlas sell the Symbian and Windows Mobile version as McGuider, although they do not like helping with any software issues and always seem to pass the buck to Sygic.
I have noticed the support from Sygic slide downwards in the past month or so. Instead of getting a response usually in a day, it now takes upwards of two weeks.

To Graemesimpson, I understand that Sygic have released a new version to TA that fixes the Symbian alert issue. The ball is in TA court to release this via the Assistant or via direct download.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh Sygic...... what have you done!!! Reply with quote

graemesimpson wrote:
They acknowledged the bug and said a fix would be out within a day or so, after a week of checking the registerd owners download area....still nothing.... (Alarm Bell 2).

Can you tell me where you have found the registered owner download page please? I have registered on McGuider.com but don't have access to any download page there. The only place I have found so far is using the McGuider Assistant.
graemesimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oh Sygic...... what have you done!!! Reply with quote

scarymonkey wrote:
graemesimpson wrote:

Can you tell me where you have found the registered owner download page please? I have registered on McGuider.com but don't have access to any download page there. The only place I have found so far is using the McGuider Assistant.

Thanks for the PM, had a look at the post....very interesting when you consider yesterday afternoon with a long discussion with Teleatlas, they denied all knowledge of a bug with the Symbian application....the guy even went away to check with other tech support and came back with a resounding "We know nothing" :-)

Users download, I may have worded that incorrrectly, I was referring to the "McGuider Assistant" application where it links you to their download area, as you are aware there is only the UK Map Update at the moment.

I have also emailed Teleatlas and McGuider (link on site) about the registration offer of free speedcam updates for a year if you register, again this download was supposed to be ready MID January 2009.

Although I dont really think their Speedcam file is up to much as they only log static cameras, as far as I am aware..... so will be using good old PocketGPS Files when they sort the bug out.

With regards to the application origin itself, although boxed "McGuider", every part of the system, whether it be the install or directories, state "Sygic Drive" even the folder is labelled DRIVE on the Symbian Version.

I believe as you've already stated, that "Sygic Drive" is just the main generic engine. The package is then sold to various companies who then badge it as their own....hence "McGuider"

Its a damm shame their support has gone down the pan as the application was set to be a superb piece of kit, its got all the features anyone could want and the routing seems to spot on, certainly on the routes I've used it. Even has lane guidance which I find a godsend, really is a very very nice piece of navigation software..... so come on Teleatlas/Sygic sort your support side out.

NOTE: It would appear that McGuider is owned and sold by Teleatlas themselves
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Oh Sygic...... what have you done!!! Reply with quote

graemesimpson wrote:
NOTE: It would appear that McGuider is owned and sold by Teleatlas themselves

so... this is the new tomtom navigator then?!

MaFt
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oh Sygic...... what have you done!!! Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
so... this is the new tomtom navigator then?!

MaFt

That is my belief - at least it is current and has reasonably up to date maps. With each release, some of the features become more and more TTN like.
I wouldn't be surprised to see TomTom buy Sygic as soon as the current economic climate improves.
graemesimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm these were the thoughts that were going around my head.....especially since Teleatlas got bought out by Tomtom. Would seem very strange for Tomtom to be supplying their data to a competitor, so as you guys suggest....Maybe here is the new Tomtom.

At least it again involves not only the Symbian users, but also the PDA users who Tomtom blatantly stuck 2 fingers up to........and to think it was the PDA market that got them where they are today Evil or Very Mad
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oh Sygic...... what have you done!!! Reply with quote

graemesimpson wrote:
Users download, I may have worded that incorrrectly, I was referring to the "McGuider Assistant" application where it links you to their download area, as you are aware there is only the UK Map Update at the moment.
Cheers for the clarification, as that is the only update place I know of. I believe the update server is actually a Sygic one rather than a TA one too.

Quote:
I have also emailed Teleatlas and McGuider (link on site) about the registration offer of free speedcam updates for a year if you register, again this download was supposed to be ready MID January 2009.

Although I dont really think their Speedcam file is up to much as they only log static cameras, as far as I am aware..... so will be using good old PocketGPS Files when they sort the bug out.

Same as me, although I have a hunch by Speed Camera included they just meant a single issue rather than a regular update. TomTom did exactly the same in a trial I had on my original TT1 - the box gave the impression there were free updates but the small print said otherwise.
graemesimpson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right about it being a CHARGED service for the Camera updates, I notice that this morning in the download area is a Speed Cam file TO BUY.

My money goes to this site for the Speedcam files, and will just keep shouting at Sygic/McGuider/TA until they release this fix.

I have just emailed one of the support guys at TA, who made the silly mistake of giving me his personal email for TA, and asked for clarification on the release issue of this update. I also pointed out that if it is'nt forth coming, then I will insist on a full refund.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: