Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - North Yorkshire Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

North Yorkshire Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: North Yorkshire Maps Reply with quote

Hi,

I am considering the Satmap and I am looking for maps for my area Thirsk.

Looking at the Satmap site it would appear that I can get North Yorkshire at 1:50K for £14.99 but if I want 1:25K it will cost a massive £190.85

As I will be using the Satmap purely for walking and Satmap recommend 1:25K for this activity this is a bit of a deal breaker!
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is worth looking at the self-centred (but not egocentric!) maps.

http://www.satmap.com/ukstore/index.php?cPath=80&osCsid=b0cc4c1371b6ed20628efc8fe6cb6d53

These are very useful, and if your chosen area includes much sea, they will move that purchased area to elsewhere on the map - the area doesn't have to be a rectangle.
It is worth phoning to discuss the mapping with the mapping lady (very helpful!)
Also, v 1.3 is excellent - the only real irritation I used to have was the occasional freeze. Last weekend I ran the Satmap all day for 2 days with narry a lock-up.

Fabulous bit of kit.

Roger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending upon where you want to walk there is the premium map pack for certain areas, these contain both 50K and 25K the one I use for the Dales cost 99 which you could suplement with a local area map card for the Thirsk area, check the actual coverage areas of the maps and also consider a self centered map card which could prove less costly that full Yorkshire at 25K - Do you reallly need the 25K scale as these are costly, 50K is usable for most walks I have only really used (and was glad of it) the 25K scale once in around 16 months.

Satmap will also for a nominal charge put multiple maps on a single card, perhaps the Yorkshire county map at 50K and a couple of smaller areas at 25K self centered to add the extra definition for the specific areas you need.

I will check my premium map coverage when I get home but from memory it doesn't include the Thirsk area - Mike
ROBDD1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just down the road in Ripon, the 1 50.000 does me for now, though looking at getting a custom map done, the 50KM x 50km is cheap enough and at about 31miles x 31miles should cover a fair area for the price, measured out area to cover Ripon, Masham and some of the dales.

£10 off in the map packs as well.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys.

Actually I am trying to imagine what the 1:25K and 1:50K would look like on the Satmap. I suspect that the 1:25K will look a bit "busy". The contrast between the colours on paper maps and I would guess the Satmap at 1:50K is better also. Can someone who has a Satmap comment on this?

North Yorkshire, and Thirsk is right in the middle, seems like a bit of a bargain for the 1:50K map but outragously expensive for 1:25K
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotch_whisky wrote:
Thanks Guys.

Actually I am trying to imagine what the 1:25K and 1:50K would look like on the Satmap. I suspect that the 1:25K will look a bit "busy". The contrast between the colours on paper maps and I would guess the Satmap at 1:50K is better also. Can someone who has a Satmap comment on this?

North Yorkshire, and Thirsk is right in the middle, seems like a bit of a bargain for the 1:50K map but outragously expensive for 1:25K

I find the 1:50k easy to read and my eyesight is far from perfect. I would like 1:25k but the price is excessive and 1:50k is more than adequate for walking in my area. Something to consider when buying is the screen area, while dimension differences may seem small I believe the Satmap has a big advantage over Oregon when it comes to field use.
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the 1:25 for the peak and dales where my main walking takes place.

dont forget that view can be altered by LHS buttons to enlarge/diminish the area under consideration.
What i find really useful is that i dont have to count the nuber of styles i passed through BEFORE i need to make a descision about direction of travel at a path junction

I have also got several !:50 maps of areas where i wont be going that many times.
If you can afford it get the best map size for the area WHERE you are going to do Most of your walking. spending a large sum on some area that you might visit once in a blue moon is rather silly.
satmapian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scotch, when you walk now do you use 1:50K maps or 1:25K?

If its 1:50 then you'll have no probs with that on the Satmap. personally I prefer 1:50K maps for walking unless i need to see the walls marked. Sometimes it's handy to see which side of a wall you should be on, but mostly it's easy enough to work out. I also live in N Yorks and do most of my walking in the Dales and NYM both of which are included in 1:25K map of N Yorks, plus the bit with Thirsk in between, so its good value when compared to buying the individual NPs and missing the middle section. Still expensive though. Cheaper to use the satmap, then refer to a paper Explorer if needed.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

I think the solution is to carry the 1:25K paper maps which I already have and make do with the 1:50K maps for the Satmap.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: