Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Months in and still waiting....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Months in and still waiting....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toibs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Months in and still waiting.... Reply with quote

Well i've only had my iphone 3g for a month now, and the ONLY thing that it's missing is a decent Sat Nav Application.
Having had GPS's now for the last 10 years, it really is the only killer thing missing from the platform. This really would make it an all-in-one device, and complete with the 3G online compatability all built in, perfect for this kind of application!!

Thing is, and the thing that gets me, all of the main players have demonstrated their software running on the unit - tomtom, telenav, navigon etc etc. Wether it's due to the restrictive apple T&C's, or another reason i really dont know, however it's incredibly frustrating seeing all these apps running hapilly on the unit, and not having the ability to run them!! Personally i wouldnt care if they were available through the apple store, or only via jailbroken phones (most people i know have these anyhow!).

Lets face it, we all know that googlemaps is awful with regards to realtime navigation.

So - a personal note from me to all the manufacturers of these items - PLEASE FIND SOME WAY OF RELEASING THEM!!!
Others manage to sell apps and distribute via the jailbroken network (for example with key codes authorised online to protect them and bring in a revenue stream) - is it really so impossible?!?!?!?

(Rant over!!)
Paul
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Months in and still waiting.... Reply with quote

toibs wrote:
Wether it's due to the restrictive apple T&C's

That's exactly what it is.
Quote:
So - a personal note from me to all the manufacturers of these items - PLEASE FIND SOME WAY OF RELEASING THEM!!!
Others manage to sell apps and distribute via the jailbroken network

No mainstream manufacturer is going to distribute via the unofficial routes (Cydia, Installer etc) so it's up to Apple to pull there finger out.
toibs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

I know what you mean, and i know it really was wishful thinking, however i cant understand why no-one has gone that route - it's very much a case of the first in the door will probably make a killing!!

Far too frustrating for my liking... Sad Lets face it, google maps really isnt up to it for navigation!!

Paul
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a big company like alk or tomtom released a version for essentially cracked devices they would likely face massive fines from apple for something along the lines of causing people to work around their copy protection methods...

MaFt
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can pretty much forget turn-by-turn until any new iPhone version (2.1/3?), perhaps in June-September this year. Even then I doubt the chances are greater than 50/50. I'm presuming there's not enough GPS hardware in either existing handset to do it well (despite what's been said elsewhere).
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the iphone 3g can handle it, but i just think the delay is apple deciding whether to try it themselves (bad idea in my opinion) or are 'toying' with manufacturers who have proved they can get it to work (igo8, copilot, tomtom among others) and then they will approach one of them and take a huuuuuge cut of the profits!

MaFt
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely a device of that spec should be capable. But his Steveness obviously fears something of the iPhone multitasking.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some apps have an option of rejecting calls when it's running, but then it's a bit pointless having to choose between directions or a voice call...!!!

also, the iphone, so i found out recently, CAN multitask. mobile safari, mobile mail and ipod all run in the background once opened. if you hold down the home button (instead of just pressing it) while one of those 3 are opened then after a few seconds it closes properly! sneaky things... at least it's possible so with official go-ahead from apple then in theory a 3rd party app could also use that feature...

MaFt
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to 3rd party apps which IIRC are sandboxed allowing no interaction with other apps, although I lost touch when I gave up on this. Try copy and paste between apps.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
I was referring to 3rd party apps which IIRC are sandboxed allowing no interaction with other apps, although I lost touch when I gave up on this. Try copy and paste between apps.

there's no copy and paste on the iphone at all, nevermind copy and paste between apps!!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of discussion of this issue on the Apple Support forums. Apple are saying nowt of course but the US participants seem certain Apple are doing this because of some fear of litigation. Complete twaddle, they are doing it because they want to control the revenue.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we see that TomTom will not be one of the companies offering an off-board navigation app for the iPhone, nor any phone for that matter. They've dropped the program entirely according to statements from their CEO. Best options now would be from Garmin or Telenav, both with proven and solid working applications. I agree with Darren that it certainly appears that the holdup is Apple and revenue. Both of the aforementioned companies should be able to port an app to the iPhone with few major problems.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: