Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Database VS PGPSW Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Database VS PGPSW Database

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Tomtom Database VS PGPSW Database Reply with quote

All,

I have been a big fan of the PGPSW database for many years and have found it not only flexible and easy to use but also very accurate due to the contributions of all the subscribers.

I have recently purchased the Go940 Live which includes the 3 month trial of the Live services - part of this is the Tomtom Speed Camera database and constant updates. As I had a chance to test Tomtom's database out for free I gave it a try alongside the PGPSW database (both installed at the same time).

I couldnt belive how many speed cameras where missing from the tomtom database. Just over a 4 mile journey Tomtom missed 4 fixed speed cameras in London. What I would say is that the ease of use for updating the tomtom database via the live services on the x40 range is very big positive however whats the point in updating when they arent accurate?

So in would strongly reccomend that if you have an x40 device that you stick with the PGPSW speed camera database!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 940 when I recorded a unreported camera, that action messed up all my icons for POIs in that the icon displayed was not the correct icon for the POI and the icon displayed for any POI often changed. This happened on both the 3d navigation and the browse map.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Database VS PGPSW Database Reply with quote

limans75 wrote:
What I would say is that the ease of use for updating the tomtom database via the live services on the x40 range is very big positive however what's the point in updating when they aren't accurate?
Out of curiosity, when you updated the camera, did it show up on your TT immediately thereafter AND do you have any mates with x40s who can say that it also showed up on their TTs immediately?

Perhaps you'd like to carry out some sort of test with one or two other x40 owners on here? Submit a new camera and see how long it takes for them to get it. Go for it with both a fixed and a mobile camera.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that comment as referring to the installation of updates supplied by TT rather than the reporting of cameras?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I read that comment as referring to the installation of updates supplied by TT rather than the reporting of cameras?

If you are referring to my post it is the TT report camera button that creates some files and then messes up the icons. Deleting the reported camera files cleared the issue. I gave up on this function after that.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Quote:
updating the tomtom database via the live services on the x40 range
I read it as being updated "live" from/to the x40 device - I haven't got an x40, so as a potential customer I'd interpret "live" as "live" via the SIM card GPRS, not as "standby" via TT Home, which TT users have already been doing with previous devices. (OP has used our DB for ages on a similar basis to downloading via Home - downloading ours via WinExplorer, reporting updates via the submission page. A significant difference would be ease of use of updating simply from the device being switched on and self-connecting automatically to Live services, with the only user intervention being to press the "Report new camera button").

I suppose I've fallen for the marketing hype of "Live", just like so many have fallen for the Mapshare hype. You'd think by now I'd know better!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the manual the x40 range will download mobile cameras over the SIM as these change frequently but the static cameras are downloaded through Home as these do not change as often.
COALMINE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Camera database Reply with quote

Hi

This may be relevant ---

The recent software upgrades for the TT's have a new 'added' feature. Speed cameras do not show unless you are exceeding the speed limit. So there is now no way of knowing if the camera you see on the side of the road is on the TT's database or not!!!
(Unless you wish to speed by it!)

There is not any options within Home or on the TT's to turn on the camera locations.

TT's help desk say that this is a feature customers have requested and confirmed you cannot show the cameras as POI's anymore! (Which I think is absolutely ridiculous)

PocketGPSWorlds database works fine.

Regards

Jeff
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely it helps hide how poor their data is!
summer68
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i certainly wouldnt want to take the risk should it not go off. Much better to know if the data base is working even if you are not speeding as you may creep over the limit as you pass a camera, at least a pre-warning gets you looking at the speedo even if your not speeding.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ridiculous if it is true....
How on Earth can you report a new camera for their database, if you don't know whether it is there already?

However, I have a camera subscription on one of my units that is up to date and also running latest software, and THAT still shows the cameras as you go past at legal speed, (just double-checked on a route demo past one). So which software version are they talking about, I wonder?
I suspect they are talking out of their "donkeys" again.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you are travelling within the speed limit, knowing a camera is coming is useful so you can know people will be braking ahead.

And do they hide the red-light cameras too? How would they determine that one then? Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this issue of hiding the camera warnings being raised shortly after the x40 units were released and we came to the conclusion it was just rubbish. There is a post made on a Sunday morning in December by me that contains a series of screen shots running up and down Blackpool promenade at various speeds that provides evidence the warnings go off even at walking speed! using the mobile phone at the moment so searching for a link to that thread isn't really viable.

Saying it hides the cameras below a certain speed is a very good way to cover up the missed warnings, Road Angel have a credible database which isn't shown off in a very good light on the x40 units, perhaps it is the directional data or even the software on the device that doesn't work 100% - Mike

At least the PGPSW database works on the x40 and it doesn't miss cameras, I have used both databases and only trust one source of data for Speed Cameras, no prizes for guessing which one is on my device!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
There is a post made on a Sunday morning in December by me that contains a series of screen shots running up and down Blackpool promenade at various speeds that provides evidence the warnings go off even at walking speed! using the mobile phone at the moment so searching for a link to that thread isn't really viable.
You mean This one.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: