Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Plotted routes keep disappearing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Plotted routes keep disappearing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KinderQueen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Plotted routes keep disappearing Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help.

Only had the satmap since xmas & have plotted several routes, they came up in the route menu as route 1, route 2, route 3, route 4 etc. All was fine & could get into each route; then all of a sudden I only had route 2 & 3 left in the route menu. I thought I must have deleated the other routes accidently, so i plotted another route; in the routes menu it came up as another route 3(so in the routes menu there is now route 2, route 3 & another route 3). Whats happening i thougt, so i turned the unit off then back on again & went into routes menu & I now have only two routes - route 2 & 3. The original route 3 has vanished!!!! Can any one tell me what i'm doing wrong? I would much appreciate it as it took me ages to plot them. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Question Question
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend not to keep many routes on the machine but have had the problem of the creation of an identical route, the unit seems to get its numbering wrong. A possible cause for route loss, though probably not yours, occurs when you create a POI, if you use an identical name for the POI file it will overwrite your route file but give no prior warning ( version 1.2, it may have been fixed in 1.3).
For what its worth I would try renaming each route as it is created and not relying on the default name.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinder Queen,

Have you tried storing the routes on the SD card rather than the SatMap itself.This may keep them out of harms way and away from deletion.

Just a thought.

Ian
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fault to me. Might be solved by upgrading to 1.3 or just a software reload but I would recommend naming the routes and keeping a copy either on your PC or SD card if you want to ensure you keep them. This is what I would do with any device.
Satsync 1.525
ChunkyMonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem with 'trails' converted to 'tracks' after completing a walk. So far have lost 2 out of first 3, thinking I'd deleted them by mistake. I had switched the unit on/off several times in between and they were still there, and then suddenly-gone. I haven't used any POI's and there doesn't seem to be a link between if/when they were renamed. I edited one route's waypoints but not the other and later tried to deliberately lose a fourth by editing/renaming/manually inputting a route/switching A10 off etc. but it is still there. The only common link between the two lost tracks and the two remaining ones is that when prompted to delete the trail data after conversion, the ones that I put 'No' (do not delete) where the ones that eventually disappeared.
In addition, I spent several hours over the weekend inputting the location/names of bothies in Scotland. I got up to 40-odd, set up in a copied 'My POI's' which I renamed. Going back in tonight, they're all gone. The whole POI group has disappeared leaving only the original 'My POI's'. Both good reasons for saving to card until the problem is identified/sorted.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum what software version is installed to your active10 - Mike
ChunkyMonkey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v 1.2. Have just registered with Satmap tonight and seen v 1.3 is available, but no mention of rectifying glitches in the 'what's new' section, hence I sought out this forum. I will upgrade and hope that this cures it.
MarchHare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Disappearing routes...... Reply with quote

This is a bit of a coincidence, I have also lost some of my route’s admittedly I have not changed the names of the files or messed about in any other way just converted them from trails to tracks as soon as I had finished my walk, these have not been saved to the SD card just the unit. The other strange thing is when I link the Active 10 up to the laptop via Satsync it shows route’s that are not showing on the actual unit? And they are in two formats, GXP and .map? and yes I am running software version 1.3
MarchHare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that should read GPX and .map
CRJ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Disappearing routes...... Reply with quote

Bit of a 'me too' post here. Exactly the same symptoms, losing routes inexplicably and Satsync reporting them present when the device doesn't.

A work around that got me going, but whether it's a permanent remedy only time will tell, was to disconnect the battery for a few seconds before loading in the next route.

I have actually 'lost' one route from the map card where I stored it. Do the cards need a bit of free, working space? My Lakes National Parks card reports only 1% free without any additional data.

Regards

Clive
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced this problem on holiday in the Peak District in October.

I had prepared routes before going, and loaded them on to my Satmap. when I went to use them they were gone.

I phoned Satmap, who suggested that I do a factory reset. I honestly can't say if I've lost any since, as I don't recall what should be there.

My theory is that I corrupted the file structure by trying to import the wrong file type.
grumpytyke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Plotted route keeps disappearing. Reply with quote

Hello First post
Same problem as rest of you, so far have tryed plotting routes using Tracklogs V2 software converting with GPSBabel to GPX & loading using satsync No problems at first checked route looked ok route name lost in conversion so renamed it, after next on/off it disappeared?
Next tryed Mem map route/save as GPX/load with satsync checked ok this disappeared on its own after a few on offs?
Eventualy used Tracklogs method and did not rename and it did not disappear.Followed route no problems.converted to trail its saved ok but i havent renamed it yet. It shows on Satsync as my track 4 raw.gpx.Also saved route done to memory card and thats still ok
Just renamed a mem map planned route which had been on satmap 1 week that disappeared on first on off.
Hope this doesnt come across as gibberish but im confused. Going to have to start again and write every step down Confused Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, what version of software is running on your device as an update might address this issue - Mike
grumpytyke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike
Bought on 04/01/09 updated to V1.3 day after it came out.Had a Garmin etrex summit for 5 years so used to working with GPS out on the hills and loading/saving routes, but wanted a bit "more" Very impressed with unit so far. Thought i might not like using 1:50 maps after years of using 1:25 paper and tracklog versions but pleasently suprised at how good they are on the sat map outside Very Happy
grumpytyke
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Trying to find out what I`m doing wrong to "lose" routes. Only lost planned routes created on PC software so decided to go through what I had done.

Loading planned routes using tracklogs V 2.08, My preferred PC mapping software 1:25 scale (Not prepared to pay again for same maps in V3) V2 does not support GPX as a "save as" so use GPSBabel to convert saved tracklogs (.trl ) file. I need to use 1:25 maps as will be walking over pathless terrain and require the greater detail that is missing from the 1:50 maps I will be using on satmap.Hope you understand the terminology used as trail/tracks/waypoints confuses the hell out of me.
Plan a 6 mile walk consisting of 71linked trackpoints, these are changes in direction of route/path and then add 11 waypoints these are major points in walk like start/ summit/ a turn on open moorland etc with some written directions. save as .trl in walks folder. open GPSBabel and convert from .trl to GPX XML with the waypoints box ticked, save in same folder.Open satsync import GPX file to satsync then copy to active 10 ok.
Then err nowt! this time route not gone at all?? So reopen satsync and it says its there in internal files 1.88KB original file size 8KB GPX & 7KB.trl Next zoomed in on satmap to area of walk and eureka 11 shiny new POI`s. Went over to POI menu & new item on menu which had all 11 way points inc name AND detailed description like follow fence to gill go left.So definite result here, now able to import grouped waypoints/POI`s from tracklogs software. Very Happy
Anybody spot my mistake Embarassed whoops went back and repeated all steps but did new route with 84 trackpoints and NO waypoints & in Babel unticked waypoints box and ticked routes box instead (doh!), this appeared on satmap no problem, and overlays route nicely on POI`s.
Turned satmap on/off 3 times route still there but unnamed/blank.Make 1 copy to SD card & name this route. Turn satmap on/off twice all ok.Next name route on internal memory, turn satmap on/off twice all ok,
So the moral of this confused rambling err It helps if you know what your doing. Looks like it was a conversion problem caused by user errors but I`ve only had satmap 2 weeks and its been fun learning.
If routes disappear in future I will be back
Thank you GT

P.S. Planning converting loading to satmap only takes a few minutes its just this message that's long winded. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: