Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - repy from tt on voice stuter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

repy from tt on voice stuter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mario212
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: repy from tt on voice stuter Reply with quote

hi got a reply from tt about the 8.3 voice stutter as shown below what I want to know is that most people are saying it’s a firmware update problem and wait for a fix, but tt are saying is that I got a corrupt file.
The question is do tt know what the problem is or are they experimenting with tt users to fix their problem

On your device you may have a corrupt file that is causing the noise distortion when you use the computer voices. The solution to this is to completely remove the software from your device and reinstall it again as described in the steps below. Please ensure that you have the latest TomTom Home software installed on your computer:-

if you want the instrution i will post them
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a typical "1st line support" reply.
When they can't find a real fix in their list of stock answers, a software re-install is the first thing they will suggest.

This is one of the main complaints about TT "support". There seems to be no system that allows them to compare notes and say "Oh dear, there are 3 million complaints about this and nothing we have suggested works - Let's be honest with people and just say 'we're working on it'."
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have given this reply to many people. It is a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. When I called them (one of many occasions) this one particular person I spoken to, said that there wasn't a problem as far as he was aware with the voices, and he had never heard from any other customers with this type of problem. Yet the person I had spoken with before said that some people had reported this problem and they were looking in to it!
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a typical TomTom first line support response.

Following is response to my query over same problem
Quote:

Discussion Thread
Response (Christopher P. (UK)) 04/12/2008 10.23 AM
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Your reference for your query is 081112-00xxxx

The issue will most likely be resolved in the next software update. Again this issue has been reported to our developers and they are working on resolving the issue.

Our apologies for the inconvenience.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

We are still waiting!
GO 920 Dead
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick_1959 wrote:
We are still waiting!
And you don't believe a word of it do you?

Pity the poor souls who do! They don't realise that the developers have just finished working flat out on the x50 range with its new globular transmacular mogrified hoojar and are now moving on to the new x60 range for which TT's Chief Executive's favourite daughter hasn't yet come up with a new hairbrained idea - but she will, next week!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1st time I reported the problem they said:

Quote:
Our software developers are aware of this issue that is affecting some x20 series devices

When I asked for an update on the fix, I got exactly the same response as Mario. As I had a backup I tried the suggested solution and almost trashed my GO920 Evil or Very Mad

I followed up the report with a request for a new TT as the instructions had made mine unusable. I then remembered another backup that retrieved the situation. When I reported this to TT they gave me the response:

Quote:
The GPS 'lag ' and stuttering voices could well be related as its related to the amount of memory being used

Please do the following .....

This was the installation of a v700 Kate voice, i.e. similar to the responses in this forum.

I have used this alternative solution and so far no problems. I have used the GO920 on 4 journeys. 2*40 miles & 2*110 miles. Only one instance of stutter and lag. I am also using:

BT handsfree
FM + Jukebox
RDS-TMC Traffic

So the GO920 processor is being fully stretched. Wink
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh mines fixed thanks to this site ....why not just follow the advise on this thread
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71821
mine has been working ever since i installed the voice file
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two months ago I copied across a GO730 Loquendo folder I happened to have lying around and cured the stutter. Brilliant.

It's come back this week! I got about 6,500 miles stutter free that way. Now I suppose I'll have to backup and do it all over again. I have RDS-TMC on my 920, but you won't catch me using it for bluetooth hands free - I run that on the 720 and since I separated the functions, have also enjoyed crashless hands free. Until last week! Grrrrr!

Do you think TT might cure all this junk in the x90 range? If they've still got any customers by then?

Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

Rumour has it she has asked Daddy for the x60 to have 3D mapping and teleport capabilities
GO 920 Dead
Steveee
Lifetime Member

Andy, I want TT to support the fix. If I had a subsequent problem that required me to return the unit under warranty, having installed a non-recommended solution, they probably would not help or claim I had caused the problem myself.

Also by keeping pressure up on TT to solve the problem they may end up with a better product. Laughing

I actively supprt this form and regularly try and help people with problems, but if we keep doing TT Support's job for them, they will not actually fix the problems. Rolling Eyes
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee wrote:
I actively support this form and regularly try and help people with problems, but if we keep doing TT Support's job for them, they will not actually fix the problems. Rolling Eyes
Absolutely correct. The trouble is that a couple of weeks ago I did a set of deliveries in Leeds, York, Newcastle and Penrith, round trip of 600+ miles in one day. I could do just the same again this week. I'm doing 4-5,000 miles a month these days, to all the ends of the UK. And if I wait for TomTom to fix this problem, I'll simply have to go back to my boxful of paper maps. Instead of which, I come here and get sorted out in far less time than it takes TomTom to acknowledge my support request.

I have tried TomTom support. Only once did they resolve my problem properly and quickly - giving me a refund for a map I'd bought which wouldn't work. Apart from that, I've had the usual run around of download the latest software, we haven't any knowledge of this problem, send us a copy of your receipt, send RDS-TMC back for repair when the problem was the broadcast service, not the antenna.

Have you any magic influence which would make the approach to TT Support succeed? I'd happily join the queue to add my weight to the complaints if only I had a glimmer of belief that it would.

bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee wrote:

I actively supprt this form and regularly try and help people with problems, but if we keep doing TT Support's job for them, they will not actually fix the problems. Rolling Eyes

But they DON'T fix the problems. They just release more problems.
And what was this site like when people were waiting for the x40 range to come out, (it reminded me of that film with Arnold Schwarzenegger doing anything to get that Christmas present) , people couldn't wait! Unfortunately tomtom could get away with selling a match box for a satnav if they said it had the latest all new bells and whistles.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveee wrote:
Andy, I want TT to support the fix. If I had a subsequent problem that required me to return the unit under warranty, having installed a non-recommended solution, they probably would not help or claim I had caused the problem myself.

The easy way around this issue is to dual boot the device, this involves putting the new (8,320) application on an SD card, leave the 8,300 application on the device memory.
With the SD card inserted the unit will boot from the card, without the card it boots from the built in memory. If it all goes wrong and you have to send it back to TT simply remove the memory card - they will never know.

Steveee wrote:
Also by keeping pressure up on TT to solve the problem they may end up with a better product. Laughing

Better products don't make people upgrade to the next newest device though......

Steveee wrote:
I don't see much going on at all to actually fix this issue, perhaps with the next map release it might be addressed, lets face it thats only a few weeks away - Mike
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet if we had a poll asking people if any of their support questions actually get RESOLVED or CLOSED by TT without a fix, I tend to think it may be 99% CLOSED.
Kev
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I don't see much going on at all to actually fix this issue, perhaps with the next map release it might be addressed, lets face it thats only a few weeks away - Mike
Today's email says
Quote:
Dear Dennis

Don’t miss out on your chance to get the latest TomTom map for up to 30% less this winter! For a limited time, we’re offering the latest maps for your TomTom device in our Winter Maps Sale, at an earth shaking discount of up to 30%.

This offer must end 19th January, so don’t wait!

Possibly less than a few weeks away.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: